Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 15, 2024, 09:00:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: Dreadball 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dreadball  (Read 3956 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

on: August 27, 2012, 08:01:42 AM

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1744629938/dreadball-the-futuristic-sports-game

Mantic's running a KS for a bloodbowl-alike. I like that the ref is an actual mini on the field, and that's it's a futuristic version of the game.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 08:05:50 AM

Nuclear launch from Games Workshop HQ detected...

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 07:20:24 AM

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 07:47:06 AM

Mechanical differences and 'how reality works' aside, on face value of those screen caps I see sci-fi versions of humans, orcs, and skaven.  GW throws copyright fits over almost anything, but there is a priority to their wrath.  Copying the mechanics of something is low-ball stuff, esp. considering that BB is just copying/modifying American football.  And the article you link there does do a good argument conveying that, which I agree to.

Copying the characters and art stuff?  Again, nuclear.  Launch.  Detected.  GW and Blizzard had this fight decades ago, and most recently GW almost went to blows with EA with some of their art designs for the C&C browser game and how it ripped on War40k works.  This is something that article does not mention, which is probably intentional. because he knows he's ripping that shit.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
swiftblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 08:25:09 AM

Mechanical differences and 'how reality works' aside, on face value of those screen caps I see sci-fi versions of humans, orcs, and skaven.  GW throws copyright fits over almost anything, but there is a priority to their wrath.  Copying the mechanics of something is low-ball stuff, esp. considering that BB is just copying/modifying American football.  And the article you link there does do a good argument conveying that, which I agree to.

Copying the characters and art stuff?  Again, nuclear.  Launch.  Detected.  GW and Blizzard had this fight decades ago, and most recently GW almost went to blows with EA with some of their art designs for the C&C browser game and how it ripped on War40k works.  This is something that article does not mention, which is probably intentional. because he knows he's ripping that shit.

GW do not have the rights to Orcs and Humans... Not sure if they invented Skaven, but certainly they didn't invent rat people. Mantic have been going for a while now, can't see this causing any issues.

You don't stop playing games when you get old, you get old when you stop playing games.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 01:21:09 PM

Yeah the 'derp derp I swear it isn't a clone' thing falls apart for me because of the race choices. It would be tremendously easy to just not use orcs, for example.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 03:26:01 PM

Especially considering the sci-fi setting.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 01:48:40 PM

Yeah the 'derp derp I swear it isn't a clone' thing falls apart for me because of the race choices. It would be tremendously easy to just not use orcs, for example.
I'm sure you meant dwarves, right?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 05:03:11 AM

Yeah, setting wise this is obviously Bloodbowl 40K, regardless of if the game mechanics are different.

Not that I'm really against that, considering how god damn stupid Citadel is with overcharging for their stuff and not letting direct translations of their games get made into PC format. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 05:05:02 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
swiftblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 05:57:15 AM

Yeah, setting wise this is obviously Bloodbowl 40K, regardless of if the game mechanics are different.

Not that I'm really against that, considering how god damn stupid Citadel is with overcharging for their stuff and not letting direct translations of their games get made into PC format. 

Seems more like Shadowrun Speedball to me...

You don't stop playing games when you get old, you get old when you stop playing games.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 08:33:22 PM

Just dropping this in this thread to not shit up the subforum with a post somewhere else :)

I was having a beer with my football buddy this afternoon, my tv is out so we were just jawing a bit and he asked about the blood bowl box on the shelf. I pulled it out and showed him the basics, he thought it was awesome and that we should start playing! Yay!
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 04:12:35 PM

The Orcs "Orx", Skaven "Veer-myn"  Facepalm and Dwarves "Forgefathers" (AKA Not-Squats) thing come from Mantic's Sci-Fi game, called "Warpath". But more than that it comes from their orgin as ex-GW employees effectively making cheaper alternate figures for people to use in Warhammer Fantasy Battle (and then 40k with Warpath). The corporation helmets are a bit too obviously Space Marine inspired for my liking, but I guess they know what sells for GW..

If GW had a legel leg to stand on, they'd already have C&D'ed Mantic out of business, along with all those resin places in Poland. Their court case against Chapterhouse, a US-based and pretty blatant manufaturer of resin 40k bits isn't going so well, since along with not inventing Orcs, Elves or Powered Armour, it turns out they didn't invent arrows, skulls, chevrons and plenty of other stuff.

Having said all that, it's obviously Blood Bowl Speedball 40k, with some Fantasy and deleted races thrown in. I'm ok with that.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 07:43:08 PM

Having said all that, it's obviously Blood Bowl Speedball 40k, with some Fantasy and deleted races thrown in. I'm ok with that.
Yep. If I don't care for the rules, I can always just use the teams for blood bowl, too.

My buddy also insists his star player is a blitzer named Walter Payton and he's picked the orcs. I told him I'd paint them up in his choice of colors if he sticks with it. I think he gets the concept, hope he enjoys the process, too. We'll still probably watch football through January but this could be a regular blood bowl game every week during the off-season!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 06:55:41 AM

They've limited the amounts of pledges so they can get the game out on time (for xmas), so if you're interested you should probably go have a bid on one.

For reference, the Blood Bowl box comes with 2 teams, 24 minis, for $82.50 (from GW). Jack pledge for DB ($100, 50 minis) is 2 teams 28 minis + 8 players from other teams (promos), a coach and refbot, 11 MVPs and other knickety knacks. Striker level ($150, 82 minis) comes with 4 teams 52 minis, 8 players from other teams (season 2 promo), coach and ref, 15 MVPs, and other knickety knacks. I think that doesn't count the new FF (dwarf) MVP that was just unlocked, and a prone figure.

Season two teams (x4 currently) are BOGO at $25, so $50 for four teams vs BB's $50/team.

And since it's a KS, stuff will be added for another week, enhancing the deal.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 06:19:55 AM

Ok, last nag since there seems to be no interest in this from the BB folks. Only 15 slots left for the Striker (optimal) pledge level.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: Dreadball  
Jump to: