Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:32:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: KOTOR 2 now on Steam 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: KOTOR 2 now on Steam  (Read 8341 times)
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

on: August 23, 2012, 02:28:46 PM

As of today.

I finally might get around to playing it.  awesome, for real

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 02:30:22 PM

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 02:30:49 PM

Hell yeah!

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 04:26:59 PM

Weee. One of my top 3 favorite RPGs (besides Fallout:NV and Vampire:Masquerade)

Btw, does anyone still remember all the drama concerning that other (never finished) restoration project? fun, fun!

Edit: Team Gizka it was.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 04:32:04 PM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 04:34:22 PM

So much entertaining drama, it almost makes me sad that it died out.

(By the way your current avatar is sooooooo much better than your scary Eve one was.)

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 05:48:15 PM

Why, thank you!

Will come when it is done. I have not personally written a single line of code for more than 2 months. You can blame the beautiful woman; she's worth every invective that's been hurled at me in these forums and others.

I'm not much interested in what people think, my duties mean I must safeguard what is in the best interests for the community, I will stop, pursue and punish plagiarisers as far as is in my power (which in the very small pond that is the KotOR community is considerable).

Oh Dashus  Heart Heart

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 05:49:42 PM

Yeah I think the plagiarism stuf - in a project explicitly built completely on other people's work - was always my favorite.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 07:18:06 PM

Sweeeet, I can finally get around to playing this!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 03:09:12 PM

Does anyone know if the Steam (and boxed) re-releases of this come with the HQ Music and Video packages?

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 06:04:45 PM

Does anyone know if the Steam (and boxed) re-releases of this come with the HQ Music and Video packages?

I can't give a definite answer, but since the steam-kotor folder is 4.60 GB large I suppose it's the HQ version.

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 06:19:06 AM

How well did this game age? I never did pick this up before but probably will at some point now
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 11:58:09 AM

It's aged okay, in my opinion. It looks very dated, but the art direction is consistent enough that it's not so bad; you never have to get "acclimated" to it like you have to do early PSX games, for instance. The unquestionably console interface with all of its LARGE FONTS is probably the most annoying bit. I can't remember if it's like KOTOR 1 in that it hates widescreen monitors, though.

You'll still want to get the restoration pack regardless.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 01:27:25 PM

Is the Steam version updated at all, or is it a straight port of the earlier PC version?
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 04:41:44 PM

How well did this game age? I never did pick this up before but probably will at some point now
Well, it looks like this:

I can't remember if it's like KOTOR 1 in that it hates widescreen monitors, though.
I doesn't support widescreen, but there is a fix that works decent.

Is the Steam version updated at all, or is it a straight port of the earlier PC version?
It seems to be a straight port.

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 08:24:08 AM

Well, it looks like this:

Looks alright, and seems like gameplay story are enjoyed (with the exception of the ending parts?)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 11:23:18 AM

I'd call it a top 5 RPG from a story/character perspective. Probably. It's definitely up there.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 01:18:11 AM

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 01:41:38 AM

Aside from bugfixes, it restores the final dungeon area and events leading up to the ending to as close as they were meant to originally be (there was a lot of unused recorded dialogue to that end). In the original unmodded game, you basically (not really a spoiler, but just in case...)
The ending sequence and the other major cut non-ending-related area (which is also restored) aside, the rest of the game is pretty much complete out of the box, but it restores a few little other bits here and there.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 06:34:07 AM

Seriously, fuck Dashus.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 06:52:44 AM

The restored Hk47 factory mission is also awesome.  It doesn't really connect with anything else in the story but it's still a lot of fun.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 31, 2012, 08:37:58 AM

Does the mod allow me to murder BaoDur before he puts me to sleep with one of those endless monologues?

Seriously, fuck that guy.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 01, 2012, 06:48:16 PM

I should finish 1 first right?

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: September 02, 2012, 02:10:54 AM

Actually while the two are definitely set in the same universe the stories are distinct enough that I don't really think you need to have played the first.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #23 on: September 02, 2012, 07:25:38 PM

Playing the first would make some of the backstory more clear, but it's unnecessary.  I only played the original after falling in love with the 2nd.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: September 02, 2012, 09:07:40 PM

I think it is worth playing them in order so you can see better how 2 moves the bar storytelling-wise.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: September 02, 2012, 09:15:11 PM

You could play 2 without beating 1 first (the first game has different endings so the second one has to kinda ignore what happened in it for the most part), but I'd say you may as well play through 1 first if you have it.  I can't think of a reason to skip straight to 2, and there are enough references and recurring characters that you might miss if you haven't played the first one, and some spoilers in the second one, so if you like the games you may as well play them in order.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: September 02, 2012, 10:29:53 PM

Plus at least two of the characters in KOTOR 2 lose a lot of their impact and meaning if you haven't played 1 much.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: September 03, 2012, 02:25:37 AM

I should finish 1 first right?

If you are part way through you should finish 1 because the ending of 1 is generally considered more fun than a typical few hours of 2.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: KOTOR 2 now on Steam  
Jump to: