Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:03:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: 1.0.4 Legendary Item Improvements - blog 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1.0.4 Legendary Item Improvements - blog  (Read 19708 times)
waffel
Terracotta Army

on: August 14, 2012, 07:42:52 PM

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6923457/

I'd quote it but it's long. It's actually very impressive.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 07:59:48 PM

I like it!

Now I'm just hoping no legendaries drop for me in the interim.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 10:55:36 PM

Nice.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 12:24:51 AM

I just had a maximus drop last night too ;(
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 01:12:45 AM

That looks fucking awesome and the video makes it look even better.

But what does it matter when they won't ever drop or I could go get my card out and buy one ?

It's still Underlying Fail for me.

Which is a shame, since I am really, really, really impressed with that shit.  I hope those talented guys MOVE TO ANOTHER COMPANY SOON.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 05:32:48 AM

I'm just never gonna care about grinding to be "hardcore" enough to get to inferno and see these items...so again, doesn't matter.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 07:48:44 AM

Looks good.  I'd like to see some adjustment to how blues and yellows roll their stats as well, but this is a nice start.  At least puts a carrot out there.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 10:27:24 AM

But what does it matter when they won't ever drop or I could go get my card out and buy one?

Yep. They still haven't mentioned anything about adjusting the drop rates for legendaries. It's great that legendaries which do drop will actually be worth using after the patch, but you're still left with an insanely low drop rate where you only see one every ~100 hours. Unless, of course, you use the AH in which case you can browse 30+ pages of the item and then grind gold to afford it. Exciting.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 10:32:29 AM

I'm glad I sold the one I found for $5 before the news hit.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 12:11:05 PM

But what does it matter when they won't ever drop or I could go get my card out and buy one?

Yep. They still haven't mentioned anything about adjusting the drop rates for legendaries. It's great that legendaries which do drop will actually be worth using after the patch, but you're still left with an insanely low drop rate where you only see one every ~100 hours. Unless, of course, you use the AH in which case you can browse 30+ pages of the item and then grind gold to afford it. Exciting.

On the 1 hand drop rates for legendaries are going to get worse since they are uping the item level to 63 on many of them.  On the other hand the loot table for ordinary mobs is getting a boost so hopefully that will help.
Job601
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 01:11:03 PM

Based on the Barbarian class preview, we're finally going to see what happens when a developer tries the "all buffs, no nerfs" balance strategy forum dwellers are always asking for.
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 11:02:03 AM

Unfortunately not true - wizards managed to find a fun build using a terrible skill so that needs nerfing badly!

(but not the equivalent abilities for barbarians weirdly enough)
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 07:40:25 PM

Witch Doctor Changes gooooood.
Pagz
Terracotta Army

I AM GOING TO WRESTLE THIS BEAR WITH MY BARE HANDS!

Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 05:48:38 AM

I can't remember where I read it (I think it was a blue post), but Legendary items aren't getting a drop increase in this patch, just blues and rares. So yeah, will never see any of them. Well, we will see them, for a few dozen million on the auction house.

As a Demon Hunter, not sure what their goal was for 1.0.4. People don't use Sentry because it stays in one spot, not because it does approximately zero damage. We're usually too busy Smoke Screening like a motherfucker to get away from the jailor waller desecration teleporter mobs. However this is coming from someone who's only damaging skill on their loadout is Razor Disk, so woo +22% damage!!! DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 06:15:21 AM

We brought a lot of items back from the Diablo franchise for Diablo III, but in many cases all we really did was bring back their name.

This is really the core issue I have with the entire game.  I often wondered if any of the people working on it had played DII.

I don't think we did a great job initially of bringing back the way that they helped you play the game.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 06:17:49 AM

We used to reduce the value of certain affixes on Legendary items because we were concerned that having fixed affixes would make them unbalanced. What it actually did was make those items kind of crappy.

THEY ARE FUCKING LEGENDARY UNIQUES YOU WOWTARD

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 06:19:28 AM

I think a "balanced" Legendary item is somewhat of an oxymoron.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 07:19:57 AM

Unbalanced in what way, is another question I really want an answer to.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 08:00:04 AM

It let you kill monsters without dying the designed number of times per hour.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 17, 2012, 08:31:29 AM

Quite.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #20 on: August 17, 2012, 11:52:14 AM

We used to reduce the value of certain affixes on Legendary items because we were concerned that having fixed affixes would make them unbalanced. What it actually did was make those items kind of crappy.

You were doing so well with ignoring this forum!

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 17, 2012, 12:01:41 PM

You were doing so well with ignoring this forum!
I like his point though, the entire "you have won the game" thing with the Diablo franchise is when you hit the point where you feel ridiculously overpowered, in other words once you can lay waste to the vast hordes w/o taking a scratch while godly loot rains down from above (on the most difficult settings) then you knew it was time to create a new character.  Balance? The only fucking balance we need is that all classes should eventually be able to bring mass destruction to the minions of hell!

tldr; If a dev is even thinking to themselves that an item might need to be toned down in a game where being as ridiculously overpowered as you can be is the entire point then that dev has no business working on this game.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 12:08:14 PM by Salamok »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #22 on: August 18, 2012, 09:12:20 AM

Salamok is dead on.

The theory I have is that lots of people at Blizz wanted to get lots of WoW players into Diablo, but that is the theory where I give them lots of credit for being smart.  My alternate theory is that anyone who knew how such a game worked is not on the design team or currently working at Runic or Gearbox.  This includes people who actually played DIILoD when it was a Big Deal, not someone who was assigned to play it before they started working on the DIII team.

I was doing so well.  I'm still staying out of the Are You Done thread, because I'm not done and the complaining lessens my enjoyment by preventing me from ignoring the flaws.  Of course, my max level is 33 so I see different issues and the whole Legendary thing is outside my realm and so this thread is safe.

I will say that I am terribly bothered by frequent use of EQ terms in DIII.  I seem to be "snaring" enemies, but I don't see any ropes tying them down at the ankles so I am assuming that everyone on the design team is a WoWtard; futhermore, one that doesn't understand the significance of certain terms such as "root".  This, plus the RMAH, causes my Sherlock-like mind to conclude that Blizz management is attempting to lure in the El Stupido WoW throngs so they can get some more cash.  Rather than, you know, create a decent game.  The company has changed.

I did assume as much when Runic was formed, though, so the alternate theory isn't dead.

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 18, 2012, 12:01:45 PM

This, plus the RMAH, causes my Sherlock-like mind to conclude that Blizz management is attempting to lure in the El Stupido WoW throngs so they can get some more cash.  Rather than, you know, create a decent game. 

I don't know but maybe the first clue was them giving out D3 free with a year's WoW subscription.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #24 on: August 18, 2012, 12:46:38 PM

Any idea when this patch is?  I am in a gaming rut. 

Log into LOTRO and almost immediately alt-f4 after the thought of either waiting 15 minutes for the LFG tool or spamming in chat for a group.  Log into WoW and do a dungeon or 2, get bored, think about how I have done this for 63 levels now, alt-f4.

Downloaded Hellgate: Fun Asian Translation Addition.  Clicked on options on loader- crash.  Try again- crash.  Loathe to create an account with a company who have a broken button on first screen.

May or may not get GW2.  Would prefer they patch in the fun to Diablo 3.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #25 on: August 18, 2012, 02:34:15 PM

Supposedly the patch is this Tuesday.

Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: August 18, 2012, 05:41:37 PM

Supposedly the patch is this Tuesday.
Im sure they are rushing it in b4 GW2 so that would make sense
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: August 18, 2012, 07:46:29 PM

Heh. D3 is seeming more and more like a good game to win on Normal and then wait a year for Blizzard to get their heads out of their asses and make the replays on higher difficulties fun.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: August 18, 2012, 08:34:18 PM

Ithey can get this out Tuesday I'll play it the 4 days b4 GW2
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: August 19, 2012, 12:53:12 AM

Whenever Blizzard does their design theory fluff talks one of the major points is how everything is supposed to feel overpowered. Actually most of the points they make in those talks they've been ignoring for several years.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #30 on: August 19, 2012, 11:04:38 AM

Heh. D3 is seeming more and more like a good game to win on Normal and then wait a year for Blizzard to get their heads out of their asses and make the replays on higher difficulties fun.

The first two difficulties are joke level easy right now. Boring with how easy they are really. And I hear they have now undone not only the damage buff for playing not solo but the some amount of the hp buff as well? I can't even imagine how easy the game would be with 3-4 people.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: August 19, 2012, 12:12:52 PM

The first two difficulties are joke level easy right now. Boring with how easy they are really. And I hear they have now undone not only the damage buff for playing not solo but the some amount of the hp buff as well? I can't even imagine how easy the game would be with 3-4 people.

Well if you're all done because you found the game so trivially easy I'm sure you won't mind them adjusting it so mere mortals can enjoy it.

amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 20, 2012, 05:16:29 AM

Until I see a patch note that says "We have greatly increased the drop rate of set items/legendaries" I'm completely disinterested in playing.  In D2 a few hours of Mephisto runs would net me at least half a dozen uniques + half a dozen set items (and this was with low mf).   I have played over 100 hours of D3 and have not had a single set or legendary item drpp for me.  All I see is wave after wave of crappy yellows that never seem to have the affixes I need so I have to hit theAH to advance.

Maybe they should include a mode where you have massively increased legendary/set item drop rates but you can't play with other players or use the AH with that character?  That would make me very happy.  The stupid RMAH and regular AH ruined this game.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #33 on: August 20, 2012, 06:15:24 AM

What Amiable said.  I had fun getting drops and loot but when I realized that yellows were shit and I'd never see a set/ legendary I gave up.   You have to spend more time getting gear in this game than a DIKU MMO where people bitch endlessly about loot access.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: August 20, 2012, 07:34:53 AM

I keep thinking that this patch is going to highly reward high end players who farm in a tight nit group, 3 players with max MF and 1 player to kick the crap out of the mobs, split loot evenly at the end.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: 1.0.4 Legendary Item Improvements - blog  
Jump to: