Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:40:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Dungeons of Dredmor 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dungeons of Dredmor  (Read 2138 times)
Simond
Terracotta Army

on: August 12, 2012, 12:02:09 PM

(No topic on this game yet? Really?)

So I picked up Dungeons of Dredmor in the Summer Steam Sale and it's great fun. For those who don't know the game, it's a mouse-driven Rogue-like with 16-bit-style sprite graphics and matching music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIKH36J1wQQ

Plot: Evil lich returns, lone hero decends into the depths of the dungeon to battle it, blah blah blah yakity schmakity.

What the trailer doesn't really show is the fun and charm of the game. It treads the line between whimsy and "lol random monkey cheese" well, staying on the correct side most of the time, and is crammed full of shout-outs and references. The general mood of the thing is very much a western version of Disgaea - it even has a vaguely penguin-like mascot-animal-monster of its own.

Anyway, a few details. The base game has 15 floors and "pick 7 skill lines from just under 40" as character creation. 
There's three expansions out now: "Realms of the Diggle Gods" (5 new dungeon levels, 6 new skill lines, new monsters, new items, etc), "You Have To Name The Expansion Pack" (4 new skill lines, new monsters, new recipes, etc.) and the just-released "Conquest of the Wizard-Lands" (6 new skill lines, bank-vault pocket dimension, new minibosses, etc).

There's three difficulty levels ("Elves just want to have fun", "Dwarvish Moderation", and "Going Rogue", Permadeath is an option (defaulted to 'on', of course) and there's also an option to shrink the floor sizes if you want a quicker run.

The base game is five bucks and the all-in-one pack is ten. (NB: YHTNTEP is free DLC, so even if you only buy the basic game get that as well). Oh, and it runs on PC, Mac, & Linux.

Official site here: http://www.dungeonsofdredmor.com/
But, more usefully, wiki here: http://www.dredmorwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page

So yeah, if you're bored with a certain other fantasy-based graphical mouse-clicker loot-hoovering game and want to kill time until a certain other fantasy-based mouse-clicker loot-hoovering game is released, give it a go. It's cheap but not easy.

And free tip: If you hear this music, panic.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 01:52:38 PM

I really thought there was a thread about this here, because I know I bought it based on word of mouth from f13. Maybe we just talked about it in one of the general threads though.

Anyway yea I had a lot of fun with this when I first bought it, although it hasn't been as sticky for me as DCSS (my roguelike of choice). I've been meaning to grab the DLC and fire it up again, but haven't gotten around to it.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 03:21:23 PM

I had a lot of fun with this when I first bought it, although it hasn't been as sticky for me as DCSS (my roguelike of choice).
This is me exactly.  Picked it up during the summer sale and while it was fun for a bit, it wore out its welcome fast.  Severely lacking in mob and level variety.  Still worth the pittance I paid for it though.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Dungeons of Dredmor  
Jump to: