Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2024, 05:18:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: V for Vendetta and Watchman movies 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: V for Vendetta and Watchman movies  (Read 7287 times)
schild
Administrator

on: February 20, 2005, 12:14:29 AM

While searching for information on A Scanner Darkly, I came across something far more interesting:

The Hollywood Reporter is um… reporting that James Purefoy has signed to star opposite Natalie Portman in the film adaptation of V for Vendetta, a graphic novel by Alan Moore.

The script is being adapted by Matrix creators Andy and larry Wachowski and Joel Silver will produce. James McTeigue will direct. Filming is scheduled to begin in Berlin in early March and they are aiming at a November 4th release.

V for Vendetta? Andy and Linda Wachowski? Say it isn't so. Natalie Portman? I'm afraid.

Anyway, here's the teaser poster.

This pisses away my hopes of a decent Transmet adaptation.

On another note, here's info on The Watchman movie.

IMDB link for Watchman.

The worst part about this:
Darren Aronofsky was going to direct the film but dropped out after scheduling conflicts with The Fountain (2005).

That's in the trivia for the movie. I do believe he's one of the only directors that could pull it off.

I think there's an article to be written about pissing away good stories somewhere. But I can't stop the tears.

Anyone have any educated guesses on who could ACTUALLY pull off either?

Edit: And if you're wondering what the fountain is, don't, it doesn't sound interesting. At least not to me and definately not compared to Watchman.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2005, 12:16:02 AM by schild »
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 01:06:59 AM

I'm sure Joss Whedon could pull off Watchmen if he was so inclined.  Or maybe M. Night Shayamalan, since he wouldn't actually be writing the thing.

Bruce
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 01:08:47 AM

No, I'm sorry, no they couldn't. Joss Whedon would take a 55-episode miniseries to give the background of Rorshach. The movie would come out in 2027.

M.Night Shamalackidingdong should have stopped at Signs.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 01:12:22 AM

No, I'm sorry, no they couldn't. Joss Whedon would take a 55-episode miniseries to give the background of Rorshach. The movie would come out in 2027.

Fuck you you piece of shit Whedon hater. You don't understand drama. You don't understand pacing. You don't understand storytelling. I want you to go die right the fuck now you goddamn silly sack of shit.

You fucking dirty vermin swine asscock.

You're right on that one. Please ignore my previous tirade.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 01:13:16 AM

Fuck you you piece of shit Whedon hater. You don't understand drama. You don't understand pacing. You don't understand storytelling. I want you to go die right the fuck now you goddamn silly sack of shit.

You fucking dirty vermin swine asscock.

You know I'm right. And that's what hurts.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #5 on: February 20, 2005, 05:26:11 AM

I think they'd both be better off as animated series on cable, much like the animated Spawn.  And yeah, maybe Watchmen should be a 55 episode mini.  If for some reason you just have to make a live-action version of a comic book, TV is much more capable of transferring the serial nature of comics.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6 on: February 21, 2005, 08:52:18 AM

He should have stopped at Unbreakable. If I never see Signs again, it'll be too sign. THOROUGHLY BORING.

I think Whedon could do Watchmen justice. M. Night... maybe, if he had a LOT of help. And a producer who slapped him every time he tried to tell an actor "Do it like a Stanley Kubrick movie." Fucker.

Arnofsky would have been good with Watchmen. I think Constantine's director could do it as well. Hell, Robert Rodriguez could do it, based on what Sin City looks like.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #7 on: February 21, 2005, 09:57:05 AM

I quite looked forward to Signs and was thouroughly disappointed.  I saw it on TV and fell asleep half way through.  I would wake up from time to time and ask Righ, who was on his laptop as he usually is when watching TV, and asked what was happening.  He always said, "nothing".  I'm beginning to think that Lethal Weapon and Braveheart were the only good things Mel ever did.  Well, besides Mad Max, maybe... though he was just a toddler when he did that one.

I wish everyone would stop almost saying my name.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #8 on: February 22, 2005, 11:32:55 AM

Mad Max 2 and Lethal Weapon were good. Braveheart is one of those movies crying out for new dialogue, perhaps cut together with a comedy actor in a manner like Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, possibly Mystery Science Theatre style or even by audience as with Rocky Horror. But it has decent imagery. Even has some man ass for the ladies.

I didn't even like The Sixth Sense. M Night has some talent, but he's yet to make a film I find particularly special.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #9 on: February 22, 2005, 12:34:11 PM

I was surprised that the ending of The Sixth Sense didn't surprise me.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #10 on: February 22, 2005, 01:21:43 PM

I was surprised to still be awake at the end of Signs.

MaceVanHoffen
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 22, 2005, 01:34:42 PM

I was surprised to still be awake at the end of Signs.

I'll be the resident Shyamalan apologist:  I've liked all his movies.  Let the flaming commence!

Still, M. Night would be totally wrong for a Vendetta or Watchmen movie.  His sensibilities just aren't right.  Plus, though I like his films, I am beginning to wonder if he's capable of doing one without a Big Twist.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 22, 2005, 02:17:06 PM

What I didn't like about the ending of The Sixth Sense is that he cheated.  Yes, they showed all the scenes at the end where he could say, "See?  The clues were RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU!"  And yet he ignored the many other scenes and details that don't make any sense with the twist ending.  Of course, when dealing with the supernatural, you can always wave your hands and explain anyway any spooky inconsistency, but I mean, please, come on.

Still, when David Mamet also stooped to some pretty silly trickery to cover-up his twist in The Spanish Prisoner, I could forgive him.  Movies have their own sets of constraints that you have to work around to tell a good story.

Bruce
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 22, 2005, 03:18:55 PM

I'll be the resident Shyamalan apologist:  I've liked all his movies.  Let the flaming commence!

Liked them all besides unbreakable myself.

Also, this thread sadens me since it hasn't become about V.

Wiiiiii!
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #14 on: February 22, 2005, 03:28:15 PM

Also, this thread sadens me since it hasn't become about V.

I'll do my part to get us back talking about V.

schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: February 22, 2005, 04:32:12 PM

WayAbvPar

Reply #16 on: February 22, 2005, 04:33:44 PM

I had forgotten how much Mark Singer sucks. Ugh.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #17 on: February 22, 2005, 04:59:45 PM

I had forgotten how much Mark Singer sucks. Ugh.

You take that back. You take that back right now.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2005, 05:02:21 PM by Shockeye »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #18 on: February 22, 2005, 05:01:22 PM

I don't see anything....but I'm just going to assume it's Beastmaster.

edit: Yay me  undecided
« Last Edit: February 22, 2005, 06:00:52 PM by Stray »
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: February 22, 2005, 06:43:02 PM

Shockeye makes baby lion jesus cry. But then, he obviously makes that dude from Korn cry too. So it's ok.
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 23, 2005, 01:26:24 AM

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Mr. Right
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 23, 2006, 04:25:57 PM

Shame on the jaded.

This movie is amazing.
Definitely rank at the top of my favorites list, right beside The professional  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110413/.

\    /
 \  /
  \/

Portman's in both movies btw.  Nice come back from SW, she just found a new place in my heart.
WayAbvPar

Reply #22 on: March 23, 2006, 05:01:13 PM

I friend of mine (who is fully aware of my distrust and distaste for 99.9999% of the shit Hollywood shovels out every year) has demanded that I see this, so see it I shall. At some point. Maybe on DVD.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #23 on: March 23, 2006, 05:43:44 PM

I'd say "Good".  Not "Amazing".  And in reading the comic, I can see why Moore's pissed off.  I think he needs to lighten up a bit, but they did take out a CRAPLOAD of pretty important stuff.  Like the entire Fate Computer thing.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #24 on: March 23, 2006, 09:54:08 PM

My biggest complaint about the movie adaptation was the ending - I liked the book's ending much much better.  The other changes were pretty tolerable.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 24, 2006, 05:26:15 AM

I never read the original, I thought it was just ok.  B- ish.  The execution of the movie is excellent (other than Portman's butchery of an english accent) but it just didn't grab me.  My date really liked it though, much more than I did, YMMV.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: V for Vendetta and Watchman movies  
Jump to: