Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:25:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Cloud Atlas (2012) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cloud Atlas (2012)  (Read 21582 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

on: July 28, 2012, 05:31:56 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWnAqFyaQ5s

I think I want to see this...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 06:43:15 AM

That looks fucking amazing.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 10:28:13 AM

That looks fucking amazing.

This.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 10:31:38 AM

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 10:50:29 AM

I wonder how they are going to cut all the scenes together, I have a feeling it won't be chronological.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 02:51:28 PM

I am dubious. I get the strong impression that this is going to have too much jammed into one movie and make a muddled mess.

beer geek.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 02:57:01 PM

Not much in that trailer that interests me.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 03:59:00 PM

I am dubious. I get the strong impression that this is going to have too much jammed into one movie and make a muddled mess.

Yeah this.  I think it looks really neat, but that's a bunch of separate time periods to be telling a story in within a two hour or so run time.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 04:03:31 PM

I'm confused.....
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 04:17:05 PM

Story sounds pretty interesting.  Now I want to read the book it's based off, but seeing the movie will be on my list. 

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 05:21:06 PM

I'm confused.....

Love story about tom hanks, halle barry and reincarnation.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 07:24:53 PM

I'm confused.....

Love story about tom hanks, halle barry and reincarnation.

Uhr.  Not for me then.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 09:16:56 PM

I get kind of the Sucker Punch impression from that trailer. Some neat visuals, but no idea how it'll all hang together as a story.

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 09:30:56 PM

Now I want to read the book it's based off...
I recommend it. For those curious about the chronology (this isn't a major spoiler, but...):

if at last you do succeed, never try again
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 09:41:17 PM

Sooooo...
It's a remake of The Fountain?

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 28, 2012, 10:18:59 PM

Not nearly so artsy. It's got some wild ideas, but the characters are a lot less mouthpiece and more human.

In the book anyway.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 10:33:23 AM

I get kind of the Sucker Punch impression from that trailer. Some neat visuals, but no idea how it'll all hang together as a story.

God that fucking movie... I have not loathed a recent movie more than Sucker Punch.

beer geek.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 11:17:08 AM

Currently reading Cloud Atlas... going to be interesting to see what the Wachowskis make of it. There's some really quite phenomenal sequences in it that will be a real headache to reduce down to movie form. You could make a decent hard scifi flick from the Somni ~ 451 sections alone.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 06:02:02 PM

Hmm, I'm torn on if I should read the book or watch this first.  Heard lots of great things about the book, but in my experience, seeing the movie first then reading is almost always better.  Since you end up usually being very disappointed our outright hating the movie if you read the book first.  The other way around, you usually enjoy both experiences.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 06:30:43 PM

Yeah since it's coming out soon I suggest movie first. The book is very textural, so plot spoilers are not a deal breaker. Also after seeing what the Wachowskis did with V for Vendetta, I expect considerable thematic simplification. If you like historical fiction I also recommend David Mitchell's other recent books, his research and evocation of time and place are fantastic... but don't go into them expecting science fiction. Not that I wouldn't like him to do more of that.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #20 on: August 22, 2012, 06:33:42 PM

Yeah since it's coming out soon I suggest movie first. The book is very textural, so plot spoilers are not a deal breaker. Also after seeing what the Wachowskis did with V for Vendetta, I expect considerable thematic simplification. If you like historical fiction I also recommend David Mitchell's other recent books, his research and evocation of time and place are fantastic... but don't go into them expecting science fiction. Not that I wouldn't like him to do more of that.

Seems all great movies are ruined by the books they are based off of.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 22, 2012, 06:42:51 PM

Back in the 50's and 60's more movies were based on short stories since short stories, and the magazines that published them, were a larger part of everyday life. Plays too. When each of those forms were popular entertainment rather than niche market genre masturbation. The lengths of the works matched the lengths of the films they were turned into, and some great movies came out of it. Last time I remember that being tried was The Shawshank Redemption, and even though it was a critical darling and loved by viewers it didn't make a lot of money in the theaters.

So novels it is.

Really kind of a bummer.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 06:55:58 AM

Hmm, I'm torn on if I should read the book or watch this first.  Heard lots of great things about the book, but in my experience, seeing the movie first then reading is almost always better.  Since you end up usually being very disappointed our outright hating the movie if you read the book first.  The other way around, you usually enjoy both experiences.
The Craig/Roony version of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was better to read the book first to enjoy the movie.  They had to simplify it, which was a shame, but I don't think it'd have the same impact without understanding all the psychological aspects the movie glossed over.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 05:15:00 PM

I will always strive to read the novel a film is based on first, if I haven't already. I have a real dislike for being told what the characters look like. That way, when I see the movie and they've cast someone I think is right for the part, I'm both surprised and happy, and if they haven't, well, it's not like they could see into my head anyway. Whoever's been cast is just going to have to sell it harder.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012, 07:40:12 PM

Hmm, well yes, the downside to seeing the movie first is that the visual images are already placed firmly in your head when you go read the book.  So no matter how Jurassic Park describes Dr. Malcolm in the book, I'm going to gloss right over that and have Jeff Goldblum running around my head no matter what.

Beyond that, I think it would still help in your example, Lantyssa (note, I haven't read or seen any version of the Dragon Tattoo books/films).  The film version of books always has to dumb things down.  Lack of inner monologue handicaps movies in their ability to adapt a story to screen very heavily in most cases.  Still, going into it blind, you can really enjoy the story if its adapted for film decently (and if your walking into a book adaptation that's getting 30% on rotten tomatoes, you deserve what you get).  You will probably miss out on a lot of things from the book, even to the point that it is VASTLY different in feel and tone overall than the book.  But you might find the movie, STANDING ON ITS OWN, is actually really enjoyable to watch.  Then when you go read the book, you get all the extra depth to the story, or the completely different take on it all, and usually love that as well.  End result is that you really enjoyed both experiences.

If you do it the other way around, you nit pick everything that isn't like the book or doesn't live up to your expectations.  If its one of those adaptations that's very different from the book but still good in its own right, you find you self judging and hating it because you kept noticing all the things that were wrong when you tried to watch it.  That's a generalization, and people obviously rise above that, but its something I've found I've had to struggle with in trying to enjoy a film for what it is.

My main concern is having the overall plot spoiled for me by a dumb'ed down version, while the book may have been an amazing literary experience of discovery or some shit, which is ruined by knowing ahead of time how it all plays out.  So far, I don't think that's ever happened to me, but it always remains a concern at the back of my mind (such as in the case of this book and film, which looks fairly trippy).

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 23, 2012, 09:05:48 PM

In my opinion, there have been exactly two pitch perfect book to film adaptations - The Princess Bride and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. There's been some other good ones but for me, no other adapted movie has hit the nail on the head quite so well. There have, of course, been rage-inducing disasters - Captain Corelli's Mandolin is one of the most heinous, where everyone involved failed entirely to understand what it was that made the book so special, from hilarious (from a certain point of view) mis-casting to purely inept visual story telling; it was a farce and burned me horribly. I had the bad fortune to have to review it for a magazine when it came out and I don't think I'd have got published if I wrote what I wanted to at the time.

On the other hand, there's TV. HBO's current stab at A Song of Ice and Fire is pretty different to the books... and I like that. It's actually to the shows' benefit to change things up, it stays fresh. It helps that they're basically employing every awesome British character actor with an equity card for the next 7 years (and they were worrying about what was going to happen after Harry Potter finished!) and have the usual implausibly good production values I've come to expect. Maybe it's because I'm not a long-term fan (I read the whole series up to date only this year) but I think they've done an amazing job so far.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: August 23, 2012, 09:11:18 PM

No offence, but Captain Corelli's Mandolin is a shite book too.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: August 24, 2012, 06:12:29 AM

Beyond that, I think it would still help in your example, Lantyssa (note, I haven't read or seen any version of the Dragon Tattoo books/films).  The film version of books always has to dumb things down.  Lack of inner monologue handicaps movies in their ability to adapt a story to screen very heavily in most cases.  Still, going into it blind, you can really enjoy the story if its adapted for film decently (and if your walking into a book adaptation that's getting 30% on rotten tomatoes, you deserve what you get).  You will probably miss out on a lot of things from the book, even to the point that it is VASTLY different in feel and tone overall than the book.  But you might find the movie, STANDING ON ITS OWN, is actually really enjoyable to watch.  Then when you go read the book, you get all the extra depth to the story, or the completely different take on it all, and usually love that as well.  End result is that you really enjoyed both experiences.
Often I would agree with you.  This specific case I'm glad I had done the opposite.  Probably because some of it is... intense.  Going into it blind would make that overwhelm the importance of the scenes to the story as a whole.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: August 24, 2012, 12:03:58 PM

No offence, but Captain Corelli's Mandolin is a shite book too.

Yeah... no.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: August 24, 2012, 05:29:19 PM

Often I would agree with you.  This specific case I'm glad I had done the opposite.  Probably because some of it is... intense.  Going into it blind would make that overwhelm the importance of the scenes to the story as a whole.
Well, good to know.  I'll see if I can read the books first before watching any version of the films.  The trailer for the American version got me interested, but luckily I've been to lazy to follow up with actually watching it.

-Stephen Colbert
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: August 24, 2012, 05:58:29 PM

Män Som Hatar Kvinnor (the original title of both the first book and first Swedish film adaptation) is an extraordinarily well put together thriller with some seriously white knuckle, brutalising moments in it. I'd actually recommend reading the book first just so you're prepared. I've not seen Fincher's Girl With the Dragon Tattoo yet, but I doubt it is quite as harsh. Even Fincher will have toned it down for a domestic audience.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #31 on: August 24, 2012, 06:03:15 PM

In my opinion, there have been exactly two pitch perfect book to film adaptations - The Princess Bride and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. There's been some other good ones but for me, no other adapted movie has hit the nail on the head quite so well.

I would also like to nominate Fight Club.  I read the book a few years before the movie came out, and I was fully prepared to hate the movie, but it blew me away.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 24, 2012, 06:07:46 PM

They fixed the ending in Fight Club in the movie too, imo.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: August 26, 2012, 02:05:29 AM

Now you've got me interested. I've not read the book, but the ending to the movie pissed me right off.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: August 26, 2012, 02:22:46 AM

Now you've got me interested. I've not read the book, but the ending to the movie pissed me right off.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Cloud Atlas (2012)  
Jump to: