Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:05:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: No! Just... no! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: No! Just... no!  (Read 4906 times)
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

on: February 19, 2005, 09:57:20 AM

Quote from: E! Online
Bono Gets Nobel Peace Prize Nod

Fri Feb 18, 7:35 PM ET

So this is what happens when you title an album How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.

U2's Bono, whose trophy case is packed with Grammys and even a Golden Globe, is up for another award that may render all the rest quaint: the Nobel Peace Prize.

The rocker, who in his spare time champions Third World debt relief, AIDS awareness and increased action in Sudan's troubled Darfur region, is one of the 166 nominees for this year's honor.

The Irish-born singer, last seen at Sunday's Grammy Awards collecting two statuettes and participating in the all-star version of "Across the Universe" benefiting tsunami victims, regularly travels around the world meeting with diplomats and heads of state to push his pet causes.

"I believe a fundamental human right is the ability to start again, to break free from the sins of the father," Bono told reporters on a 2002 trip to Africa with former U.S. Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill, in which he crusaded for debt forgiveness.

"If people are brave and bold enough to begin a new relationship with [impoverished nations], there will be popular support."

This is the second time Bono has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. He was also in contention in 2003.

The prestigious honor will be announced in October and presented in Norway on Dec. 10. The prize, given out since 1901, includes a cash award worth nearly $1.5 million.

The Nobel Peace prize is traditionally given to those who pursue humanitarian work and/or human-rights advocacy. Past winners include Mother Teresa, Jimmy Carter and Nelson Mandela. Last year's winner was Wangari Maathai, an environmentalist from Kenya.

Bono and some of the other leaked nominees--like Indian sitar master and Norah Jones' father Ravi Shankar, Pope John Paul II and former U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell--aren't considered to be among the top contenders. The prize is expected to go to an individual or group in Asia, especially in the wake of the unprecedented tsunami disaster.

Nobel Peace Prize nominations can be made by thousands of people worldwide, ranging from heads of state and parliamentarians to university professors to members of international law courts to previous winners. The ultimate decision will be made by a five-person panel.

While he awaits word from the Nobel folks, Bono and his bandmates will be plenty busy. U2 will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on Mar. 14 and, two week later, kick off their Vertigo Tour in Florida.

Are they really hurting that bad for people to nominate?
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 10:16:50 AM

I always thought Bono sucked dick....perhaps that is how he got nominated?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 11:41:38 AM

He's done a heck of a lot more than most people would do. Especially more than people with the kind of time and money he has, and certainly more when it comes to entertainers and musicians. He's no Mother Theresa, of course, but seriously, what makes him any less valid than say, Kofi Annan, the Dalai Lama, or Jimmy Carter? Because you don't like U2?
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005, 11:46:38 AM

He's done a heck of a lot more than most people would do. Especially more than people with the kind of time and money he has, and certainly more when it comes to entertainers and musicians. He's no Mother Theresa, of course, but seriously, what makes him any less valid than say, Kofi Annan, the Dalai Lama, or Jimmy Carter? Because you don't like U2?

It seems to me the people you just listed either dedicated their lives to public service or are a religious figure. Bono is a musician out to make a buck. And all of his "good works" certain don't hurt his record sales. Just imagine if he wins, their next album will have a sticker on the front that says, "The latest U2 album featuring Nobel Peace Prize Winner Bono".
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #4 on: February 19, 2005, 11:55:02 AM

Anyone can be nominated for the Peace Prize (unlike other Nobels which must be nominated by committee). Bush has been nominated every year he has been President.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #5 on: February 19, 2005, 12:03:14 PM

Anyone can be nominated for the Peace Prize (unlike other Nobels which must be nominated by committee). Bush has been nominated every year he has been President.

Once again, public servant.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #6 on: February 20, 2005, 12:08:10 PM

Can I nominate myself?

My platform will be "I haven't killed anyone that I know of."

There's a cash prize too, right?

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 20, 2005, 07:11:00 PM

Million bucks I think.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #8 on: February 20, 2005, 08:16:58 PM

$1.5M

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Llava
Contributor

Reply #9 on: February 21, 2005, 12:43:34 AM

See?  Bono will just blow it on more goofy looking shades.  I could actually use 1.5 million.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
WayAbvPar

Reply #10 on: February 21, 2005, 09:09:00 AM

After reading The Price of Loyalty, I am not surprised. It sounds like Bono is quite dedicated to a number of humanitarian efforts.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #11 on: February 21, 2005, 10:04:58 AM

Bono is a good guy. I dig U2.

But Peace Prize? I don't think so. It just smacks of fashionable celebrity cult of personality bullshit to me.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #12 on: February 21, 2005, 10:25:24 AM

Ok, ok, my platform will be:
"Are you dead?  No?  That's right!  And I didn't kill you!  Vote for me!"

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: No! Just... no!  
Jump to: