Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:31:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: PVP 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PVP  (Read 7560 times)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

on: July 16, 2012, 08:56:17 AM

How's the PVP here? It's mostly BG-based, right? How are queue times?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 09:10:26 AM

Not mostly BG-based at all.

There are two BGs. One of them is 10 people per side and it never starts. The other one is 5 people per side and it's a three-way king of the hill in Stonehenge (real, so it's an unfair, asymmetrical map). This starts pretty quickly all the time.

Then, there is the open pvp zone with no queue, permanently open with no level brackets. It can host up to 75 players per side and it has controllabel respawn points and 4 big "facilities" wich grant server-wide faction buffs. Action is furious there all the time. I's a lovely zone. Lots of zerg but not just it thanks to how big it is and the ability to see ALL the other players from your faction on the map, along with "hot zones" (areas where a fight just happened or is happening).

Jury is still out on the PvP. The good is that even a "level 1" player can hurt someone who is full level 10 purple stuff. The bad is that it's all very chaotic still, there are so many million builds that is hard to understand what is going on, especially with AOEs and DOTs.

There's room for lots of improvement, and balance is gonna be hell once people find out the uber builds. At the moment for example assault rifles seem to be very effective due to insane range and the ability to spread AOE dots from 30+ meters away. The core of this game is not PvP... but I have to say that I was expecting way less on this front. Maybe it's because I am taking it easy since I am only QL4, but I am having fun possibly due to the fact that the three way fights are somewhat entertaining no matter what.

So yeah, it's not really BG-based but there's no way you can kill other players outside of the pvp zone. The level-less horizontal progression helps PvP a huge amount, and that is definitely a plus. Also, worth saying that you get a fair amount of XP doing Battlegrounds too, and an ever better amount by doing the three repeatable (30 minutes cooldown I think) quests in the open pvp area too. So it's entirely possible to level through PvP although this is not the kind of game where you want to skip the content.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 09:13:39 AM by Falconeer »

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 09:13:12 AM

Ahh thanks; I had glanced at the wiki and saw no open PVP servers and just assumed. How does faction balance seem regarding PVP; is there a side with exceptionally shorter or longer queues?

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 09:17:40 AM

I heard (no hard data) that Dragon is the lowest population faction, so since all the BGs are cross-server they are the faction with the shortest waiting queue. About Fusang, the open PvP area, that's the only area that is NOT cross-server, every server has their own. You don't have to worry about a queue here, but if your faction (on your server) has lower population then you will just have a hard time not being steamrolled. So you can scout the server forum, or The Chronicle website, and see what faction has a tendency to doinate Fusang. This is important, as the faction that dominates Fusang the most is the faction that has the big buffs on all the time. XP bonus (which extends to PvE and affects even those player who have no idea there's a PvP part of the game) just to give you an idea can easily go up to 15%. That's quite awesome if you are winning.

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 09:24:07 AM

I'm with Falc in the "there's some room for improvement" camp. The game is great but it is not a pvp player's game - leave that for gw2 imo. Healing is pretty weak in a lot of encounters, and some builds can allow for some insane survivability or one-shot kills. Fast respawns from any rez point your faction holds makes this not too big of an issue

-a mercenary system would be great (like Rift's) if population imbalance continues
-healer's need to be able to do their job better imo (slight buffs to their heals, they aren't far off but currently it almost isn't worth having a healer at anything but the facility bosses that I've ever experienced)
-healer's also need to be able to receive credit easier for the kill 10 players quest
-pvp tokens come at a somewhat slow rate for the ones that matter. The ones that don't matter you earn by the truckload and have no use for them (ex: a ql10 item costs something like 6k white tokens and 300black, I'm at 15,000 white and only about 150black, this needs to be worked on a little bit).
-either faster cap times on rez points or slightly slower respawn time since there are times when 3-5defenders can hold off 15-20+ offenders due to AE's inturrupting the capture (it's not by proximity but by clicking an item for X seconds which is increased by the number of players around the point) along with the fast rez times.

IMO - play TSW for the pve/story/setting/writing/everything BUT pvp, play GW2 for pvp

The game isn't battleground based, but it's not open - it's purely instanced. Which to some is the same thing as battleground, but I look at battlegrounds as short maps that end, whereas one instanced map is static as Falc mentioned.

Balance started out awful but I feel it's improving greatly (at least on Arcadia). Before it was something like 50% Templar/35% Illum/15% Dragon (not actual number just how it felt during US primetime). It has recently become much more in-line as Dragons usually have a strong presence now and it's probably closer to 40-T/30-I/30-D. Queues are obviously longer for higher faction, which can suck at times for Templars.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 09:27:57 AM

This is the prime reason Im not playing it.  I am a PvPer and TSW is just another PvE game with PvP thrown in half ass to say it's there but it wont get the attention it needs to be worthwhile.  GW2 is out soon enough, will get my fill then.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 09:56:33 AM

I am a PvPer and I've been waiting for GW2 for AGES. So yes I'll be there, fuck PvE.

That said, The Secret World is a compoletely different thing. It's a fantastic PvE MMORPG, possibly my favourite ever in the PvE department, with an unexpectedly pleasant PvP bonus part.

It would be crazy to get TSW for the PvP but, as a PVPer, the same thing can be said for pretty much any post Age of Conan MMORPG. Didn't you get SWTOR too, like me, Shatter?  why so serious?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 10:00:28 AM by Falconeer »

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 10:00:03 AM

I'm not a serious PVPer, I was just curious (plus there was no PVP thread already).

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 10:00:26 AM

Is the purple gear you get from PvP any good in PvE or does it also have an extra PvP only stat like WoW's resilience?  And how long does it take to get the purple gear, is this where you get the black marks of venice?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 10:02:07 AM

It's very good and effective in PvE too. No secret, special values. Still, I read (but I can't confirm) that PvP stuff can be upgraded thanks to some kit to, say, QL 10.3, while PvE stuff can be upgraded to 10.4. So while the PvP stuff is super awesome and as good as any equivalent QL PvE dropped item, the PvE ones can be enhanced a bit more, on the very very high end.

It doesn't take much at all to get the Purple Gear if you ask me, just spend some time in Fusang doing the quests, they all earn you Blacm Marks of Venice, and considering that the top stuff is 299 Black Marks I think (while the awesome QL8 is 144), it's not that bad if you PvP a lot and complete the quests (not hard if you follow the zerg diligently).

The "Bullions" on the other hand are a currency I am not familiar with, I think they are "Nightmare Dungeons" currency, used to buy the Purple PvE stuff. But someone else should definitely correct me here.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 10:05:10 AM by Falconeer »

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 10:26:48 AM

I'm not a serious PVPer, I was just curious (plus there was no PVP thread already).

If that's the case you'll probably enjoy it. Fusang is a wonderful drop-in/drop-out zone that fixes a quick urge to pvp imo. Also, the xp from the quests aren't bad.

Njal
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 10:37:23 AM

It doesn't take much at all to get the Purple Gear if you ask me, just spend some time in Fusang doing the quests, they all earn you Blacm Marks of Venice, and considering that the top stuff is 299 Black Marks I think (while the awesome QL8 is 144), it's not that bad if you PvP a lot and complete the quests (not hard if you follow the zerg diligently).

Not quite accurate Falc. Only the capture facility gives Black Marks and 7 of those. You can do it roughly twice a day whereas the other two BGs provide 12 for a win 4 for a loss in South America and 9 for a win and 3 for a loss in Stonehenge. Only Fusang gives you white Marks and yo also get a weekly gift of White Marks depending on how well your side did that week or somesuch. So if you want high end PvP gear you're going to have to do a lot of BGs.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 10:45:41 AM

Ok, thanks for correcting me. I guess I have lots of Black Marks from before the launch day quick fix, and that probably confused me.

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 11:45:15 AM

Yeah, fusang is awesome, from the perspective that it encourages you to get in, get your free xp and some tokens in a relatively short amount of time, and then gtfo, instead of grinding it all day long.  The dragons on arcadia at least now routinely control the whole map a few times a day, which is better than it was at launch.  Iluminati seems to control more of it the majority of the time still though.  There's almost always a somewhat organized zerg happening on our side of the fence now.  I'm not that big on pvp, but I really like fusang.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 11:49:10 AM

The "regionless/serverless" structure of The Secret World helps in that there isn't a real primetime on any server. Something is always going on since all servers have lots of players from all timezones of the world. And this is true for Fusang. Battlegrounds are cross-server so it's even more like that.

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 12:06:19 PM

That was more noticed at launch I think, when different play-times had different leaders

Ard: link the build you're working for in the builds thread please, I'm curious to your final setup you're looking at.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 12:38:55 PM

Thanks to the power of the Chronicle website, I present you the leaderboard for global kills in PvP. It's not necessarily representative, but kind of reflects my impressions about PvP population. Illuminati first, Templar close second, Dragon pretty much behind.

MUCH MUCH more interesting (  why so serious?  ) here is the f13 PVP LEADERBOARD for kills.

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 12:46:07 PM

I think Dragon will catch up soon enough, rough launch week for them but lots of rerolls it seems.

On a personal note - <Bank Space> is throwin' it down why so serious? (feels like I had a lot more kills though since while pvp'ing I'm almost always running solo in the middle of a zerg-fest of a zone)
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 01:07:54 PM

I think Dragon will wind up like Horde in WoW in that they get better at PvP because the population is stacked against them and will get many more fights.  Won't help much in fusang against the zerg though.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 05:22:16 PM

Hey, I'm actually on the boards. :) One thing that drives me crazy in Fusang is the apparent randomness of kills. I can do the majority of damage to someone and not get credit and then be walking back to a battle and suddenly get 3 kills without firing a shot. I'm pretty sure someone in your actual group has to get the kills to count rather than the raid.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 04:19:21 AM

This is the prime reason Im not playing it.  I am a PvPer and TSW is just another PvE game with PvP thrown in half ass to say it's there but it wont get the attention it needs to be worthwhile.  GW2 is out soon enough, will get my fill then.

I am pvper too and I enjoy TSW for PvE. 1-2 months and I will move on (likely to GW2). But for those 2 months TSW is a splendid game
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 17, 2012, 04:21:13 AM

Hey, I'm actually on the boards. :) One thing that drives me crazy in Fusang is the apparent randomness of kills. I can do the majority of damage to someone and not get credit and then be walking back to a battle and suddenly get 3 kills without firing a shot. I'm pretty sure someone in your actual group has to get the kills to count rather than the raid.

no its over 50% dmg done first time.  And if he heals up from that 50% dmg still it would give you credit when he eventually dies
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: July 17, 2012, 12:27:14 PM

I am pvper too and I enjoy TSW for PvE. 1-2 months and I will move on (likely to GW2). But for those 2 months TSW is a splendid game

I thought the same but I will be playing GW2 regardless so I think I will save the money from TSW box + 1 month sub and apply it towards a new monitor instead.  I plan to continue playing TOR and PvP there until GW2 so I should have full WarHero by then which is kind of a goal for me. 
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #23 on: July 17, 2012, 12:44:11 PM

That's got to be a pretty shitty monitor.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: July 17, 2012, 12:59:03 PM

On ebay, they exchange the word "shitty" with "rare." why so serious?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: PVP  
Jump to: