Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:43:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Vanguard, showing screenies 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vanguard, showing screenies  (Read 12003 times)
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

on: April 08, 2004, 10:42:30 AM

http://www.okratas.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=173&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

For now they look like a new tweak of the SWG engine.
EQ2 style, but more inspired.

P.S.
The last one seems *exactly* a render of DAoC's hibernia.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 10:44:07 AM

Quote from: HRose
EQ2 style, but more inspired.

Thats like saying something smells better than shit.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
esad
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 11:28:03 AM

One name:

Brad McQuaid

After dealing with his bullshit and lies with EQ many years ago, I'll never trust that man to be intelligent or competent. The only thing that can come from shit is more shit.

Fooled me once, shame on you. Fooled me twice, shame on me.

PS: Yes I have a history with Brad. Including him directly lying to me to cover his ass.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 11:36:27 AM

Looks nice.  Too early to say anything else.  Some of them were so dark I am surprised they released them.  Nothing new.  Game in development looks pretty, film at 11.  This isn't a knock against you Hrose, I appreciate the link.

esad, get some help.  There are doctors that can help explain why the bad man touched you there.  You have to move on with your life.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 11:42:43 AM

Fuck Brad, I'm a superhero now. Biatch.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 12:03:20 PM

Fuck Brad twice. Bitch fell ass backwards into crack of the month addict-makers game design and suddenly thinks he's Richard Fucking Garriot. Hell, Richard Garriot ain't even anymore.

Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 12:40:51 PM

We all agree Brad aint richard gariot.  And richard probably isn't richard gariot anymore unless tabula rosa kicks total ass (low odds on any mmog being that good), so who IS the modern richard gariot?

Warren spectre is busy fucking up classics (well, maybe t3 wont suck, but it also won't fully account for the shit that was DX:IW).

Molyneux is either making a bunch of great games or will turn out to be higher than a kite.  He will have to get 3 out of 4 to really get back as a game making god after black and white for me.  Black and white was pretty, but everything about the game itself pretty much sucked.

Is there a name somewhere in Bioware we should be celebrating?  They have been pretty golden for awhile.
Jon Carver

Email
Reply #7 on: April 08, 2004, 01:41:45 PM

Quote from: Alluvian

Is there a name somewhere in Bioware we should be celebrating?  They have been pretty golden for awhile.

With modern games being such massive efforts, should any name at all be celebrated?
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: April 08, 2004, 01:44:10 PM

Quote from: Jon Carver

With modern games being such massive efforts, should any name at all be celebrated?

With modern movies being such massive efforts should any name at all be celebrated? Next time you're waiting in line for a McG flick while I'm in line for a Kaufman/Cohen Brothers/whoever flick, ask me that question again. There's a good chance I'll point at laugh at you though.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #9 on: April 08, 2004, 01:56:08 PM

I don't know if figureheads are something we should celebrate, but I'm sure the guidance of their two CEOs, Drs. Greg Zeschuk & Ray Muzyka (also the founders), has led the company to one great game after another.

-Rasix
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 08, 2004, 01:57:48 PM

Because I believe the end product is FAR more than the sum of it's parts.
Because cohesion and internal consistency do not come from massive efforts without the direct attention of a few at the top.

Both of those are true of movies and games, as pointed out by Schild.

A great leader does not assure success of course.  Everyone will have projects they just can't save or ideas that just didn't work out in the end.

I touched on it abit when I discussed Molyneux.  What ratio of good to bad do you need to be considered great?  When you let out a shitter, how many greats do you need to climb back up on top?
Liquidator
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 09, 2004, 02:00:00 AM

Sid Meier.

-Liquidator

Jon Carver

Email
Reply #12 on: April 09, 2004, 07:17:22 AM

Quote from: schild

With modern movies being such massive efforts should any name at all be celebrated? Next time you're waiting in line for a McG flick while I'm in line for a Kaufman/Cohen Brothers/whoever flick, ask me that question again. There's a good chance I'll point at laugh at you though.

I never watch a movie (or play a game or anything else) because of who made it.  I make my decisions based on the merits of the product, not the merits of the maker.  I guess that makes me less of a fanboi than you.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 09, 2004, 07:25:15 AM

Um... but you haven't seen a movie till you seen a movie.  You can't choose movies based on merit because you haven't seen them.  At best you can go by reviews, but by your logic I guess that would make you a critic fanboy.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 09, 2004, 08:28:22 AM

Well the screens look about what I would expect. It has top of the line swg/eq2 style more realistic graphics. Since the game won't be out for at least a couple years it darn well better look freaking pretty now or it will be ooogly by the time its released.

While it looks nice so did horizons first screen shots when they were first made so it all is pretty meaningless at this time.

It is a long way off and while I am deffinatly keeping an eye for info and am glad you posted the screens it is just way to early to pin any hopes on it good or bad.

kaid
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: April 09, 2004, 09:23:46 AM

John Carmack has been pretty solid so far.

Wiiiiii!
Ballast

Email
Reply #16 on: April 09, 2004, 09:48:33 AM

Oh ffs... ad hominem attacks on Brad McQuaid are rather silly in the context of Vanguard, don't you think?

While he arguably lucked into the success of Everquest, then pissed his reputation away by being a total cockmonger, the ideas for Everquest and its eventual implementation had to come from somewhere. Even if this wasn't solely McQuaid, the team he's assembled at Sigil for the Vanguard project has pooled a good portion of the talent from Verant.

In any case, if Vanguard sucks, it will suck on its own merit, or lack thereof. If you want to fling shit at McQuaid, great. Mixing the two subjects doesn't really help the cause.

... and to get back on topic:

Yay... screenshots... environmental screenshots... /sigh

Show me a UI. Show me some AI. Show me something with some meat to it, not more static bullshit.
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 09, 2004, 12:26:07 PM

Civ3, being rushed out way before it was ready, took a bit of the shine from Sid's name for me.  Still, reskins of his 10+ year old idea are about 30x better than any game anyone else has thought of, so I will still willingly kiss his feet.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #18 on: April 11, 2004, 05:18:07 PM

Quote from: Liquidator

Sid Meier.

-Liquidator

Absolutely.  Can't wait to get a gander at his Pirates remake.  

About Richard Garriott... I think he'll be making a bit of a come back soon-ish as... well, Richard Garriott.  I think calling his newest venture Tabula Rasa is inspired and shows that HE even knew he had lost his mind.  It's not a bad thing.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Vanguard, showing screenies  
Jump to: