Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:54:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: The Secret World - Issue #1 - "Unleashed" (July 31st) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Secret World - Issue #1 - "Unleashed" (July 31st)  (Read 8902 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

on: July 13, 2012, 11:48:17 AM

Unleashed is coming before the end of the month.

THE SECRET WORLD ISSUE #1, JULY 2012: “UNLEASHED”

"UNLEASHED"

'Unleashed' kicks off a monthly run that brings new content, new features, new stories and new characters to The Secret World and to subscribers. The first issue is packed with missions, Nightmare mode dungeons, the highly anticipated Marketplace and other updates -- and this is just the beginning!

NEW MISSIONS!

Carter Unleashed: An action mission set at the Innsmouth Academy on Solomon Island, where the player gets to know more about the exceptionally gifted student Carter. Exploring the hallway below the academy, Carter will need help controlling her powers -- before they get completely out of hand.
Crime and Punishment: Bestselling horror author Sam Krieg came to Solomon Island to write his latest novel -- but there's more to it than that. Through this investigation, the player will dig into Krieg's works and the mind of an obsessed fan to learn more about the dark and hidden history of Solomon Island.
Hell & Bach: Daredevil reporter Daniel Bach is working on the story of all stories, his shot at finally winning a Pulitzer. For years, he's been chasing the ghost of Theodore Wicker, only to end up trapped at the Overlook Motel outside Kingsmouth Town. But Wicker's story doesn't end here -- nor did it start here. Following the bread crumbs back in time, the player will investigate the mystery of Wicker, and learn more about what brought him to the gates of hell...and beyond.
Funeral Crasher: Eleanor Franklin only has her cats and her ghosts to keep her company at her mansion in Blue Mountain -- and now the ghosts are getting restless. When the dead themselves are spooked, the living must pay heed.
The 3rd Age: There have been Ages before ours, and the evidence lies beneath. In Egypt, the sand is thin, and the remnants of past Ages are beginning to spread their influence across the world. The Seven Sentinels hold the key to an investigation that begins in the present, and delves deep into the distant past.
Red Handed: It wasn't chance that brought Dr Varias to this distant part of the Carpathians at this particular point in time. Following in his father's footsteps, Varias is attempting to unravel the mystery of the Red Hand. Why did they build a vast facility beneath this desolate region? What were they doing here? And how was Varias' father involved? In this investigation, we answer some burning questions about this secret Soviet era genetic research project -- and how it ties into the events of the present.

But that's not all! Another mission awaits observant players on Solomon Island -- one that explores a character that may be more than she pretends to be...

NEW NIGHTMARE MODE DUNGEONS!

Two dungeons are receiving new Nightmare modes: The Ankh and Hell Fallen.

Increased challenges, increased rewards, and a chance to test new builds, new synergies and to put your team to the test against some of the toughest and fiercest challenges in The Secret World!

Who will be the first to conquer The Ankh and Hell Fallen in Nightmare mode? When 'Unleashed' is unleashed, we will find out!

THE MARKETPLACE!

Unleashed also contains the brand new, cross-dimensional Marketplace, allowing players to sell, trade and ship items to other players, no matter where they're playing. The Marketplace will be an integral part of The Secret World's growing economy, giving players more flexibility when it comes to how they equip their characters, and how they procure PAX.

AND MORE!

Of course, issue #1 is jam-packed with other updates and changes -- and astute players may even notice the ongoing construction in New York, London and Seoul, as new tenants prepare to move in. The Secret World is a LIVING world, and it will keep growing and changing through this issue and all upcoming, monthly issues.

And this is only the beginning. Issue #2 is already on its way, and if you like this month's content, you're going to LOVE what's next! Dr Aldini is sharpening his scalpels, the Ockham triplets are readying their scissors and razors, and the first auxiliary weapon is being assembled -- so stay tuned for August's major update, to be revealed soon!

The Secret World issue #1: 'Unleashed' goes live on July 31st, and is available for free to all players.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 11:49:44 AM

New record for fastest content update ever in a MMORPG after launch? 28 days later...

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 11:56:09 AM

DAOC added 7 or 8 dungeons in the first couple weeks.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Pendan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 12:20:54 PM

DAOC was a case of finishing content that was obviously missing at release. The dungeons existed they were just empty or had no rewards for kills. Is this TSW new content or finishing existing content?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 12:27:26 PM

I guess it is always questionable. This is absolutely no "finishing existing content", it's real new stuff, but you can see it from at least two different angles: let's say they had like 100 quests for Savage Coast before launch and decided to take 20 out since 80 were more than enough and the extra 20 were going to make for about three monthly updates, which boost morale and all that jazz.

No, this is a legit fresh content update (except for the tradepost and the nightmare dungeons, that's clearly "finishing incomplete features"). But it's impossible to say if all the new stuff we are going to get in the next few months has been pulled off from launch on purpose or what.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 12:31:26 PM

I'm sure you can find some cynical MMO-hating f13er to argue they deliberately held content back from release to make themselves look good when they added it a month later.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

In any case, good for them, I say.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 01:11:34 PM

I'm sure you can find some cynical MMO-hating f13er to argue they deliberately held content back from release to make themselves look good when they added it a month later.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

They probably did. But it also sounds like something they had planned from a long way back, so I'm not too torqued up by it.

Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 01:51:17 PM

Disclaimer: I am not involved in TSW development.

From my point of view it seems to be a fact of life that when developing an MMO you plan for more stuff than you will have time to produce/implement before the game launches, and that stuff that didn't make the cut for launch will be in various stages of production (from pre-production/concept-phase, to simple block-outs of not-yet-populated areas, to "not polished enough", etc). Intentionally holding back content for release does not make sense in the world of MMOs, where first impressions can make or break the game to a much larger degree than for other types of games.

To put it like this: MMO launch dates are probably not pushed back/delayed to cut/remove/hide away already completed content. awesome, for real

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 02:16:17 PM

They have sufficient content and they're not charging for it Day 1, beyond the need for a subscription.  I am not insulted by this.

And Carter seems cool, so bonus.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 03:06:07 PM

The three NPCs in Kingsmouth Academy have some great dialogue. As a group, they're my favourite NPCs in the game.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 03:43:20 PM

If they did it on purpose or not isn't a big deal.  Pretty much every game ever has cut content though.  Stuff that's almost finished which doesn't make it in time for the planned release date.  Even SWTOR was able to pop out such a patch very quickly.

We'll have to wait and see what's really in it.  Not to mention whether or not they can even hit that date.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 05:04:57 PM

Rift was faster I think.

I am the .00000001428%
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 06:20:10 PM

It's not cynicism to believe they held back content they either weren't entirely confident in QA-wish (e.g. those missions) or which wouldn't be relevant to the masses of day-one/seldom-beta players who were just filling up on newbie drops nowhere near worth bartering (e.g. the marketplace). They've done a fairly good job on polish and uniqueness launching kind of a nich-y offbeat concept smartly during the summer lull with very little marketing and zero brand recognition. Why take any more chances than they already have?

Month-one content updates are usually didn't-make-it-by-launch-code-freeze content or features. Month two is likely funded by how well they guessed their box sales take would be.

Nah, month three is the most telling. That's when you beginning having the best sense of a) whose going to continue funding your subscription revenue; and, b) whether you guessed right on the kind of player you ended up with.

But for now, it's nice to see Argatha will quickly recede from the Coronet Starport/EC Tunnel it's become :)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 04:54:00 AM

Ragnar:

No content was EVER "held back" from launch to pad future updates. Since the day the game launched, the team has been working really hard to prepare content for issue #1, #2, #3...and even future issues. Hell, a (small) part of the team is currently working on issue #8!

It would have been really stupid of us to purposefully withhold content from the game at launch, since the launch of an MMO is the most critical time in the game's lifespan. We squeezed everything we could into the game before June 29th. The team celebrated, popped the champagne bottle...and went RIGHT back to work in order to meet the crushing and looming issue #1 deadline...which will lead straight into crunch for issue #2 -- rinse and repeat.

I can ASSURE you that NO ONE on this team is "slacking off"! In fact, if anyone deserves some time off, it's these guys -- but we're committed to delivering new issues to you guys on a monthly basis, and we'll work our asses off to do that.

I'm sorry if I sound mad -- I'm not! -- but I do want the team to get the credit they deserve, and I want to disspel ANY and ALL rumours about this content being ready for launch. It wasn't. People are right now working overtime and weekends to make sure it is ready for July 31st.

That is all! Thanks for reading! smiley

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 05:23:51 AM

If they can do three issues monthly, they'll be golden because that will get them over the GW2 bump and they can point and say "see, we're still doing this." I hope they do and I hope they get some of that 10 man raid content in because I really like the game and want something to do even if it is the repetitious and predictable raiding thing.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Njal
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 07:15:29 AM

The three NPCs in Kingsmouth Academy have some great dialogue. As a group, they're my favourite NPCs in the game.
I love the Mummy in Egypt and the Marya guy who dances a lot. But really I don't think there are any duds among the NPCs who have dialogue.

However what I really want to know is what about new clothes?  Grin
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 07:55:40 AM by Njal »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 08:20:11 AM

The dialogue among the three NPC's in the Innsmouth Academy is just golden. I love Montag.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 10:17:26 AM

"You're like the antidote to sarcasm, HM." 

-Rasix
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 10:21:27 AM

“You're like the world's revenge on sarcasm, you know that?”  awesome, for real awesome, for real awesome, for real

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 10:31:24 AM

Ahh, I knew it was something like that.  MY BAD. 

Marianne Chen in Blue Mountain has some of the best dialog.  Just so hilarious with the "in over my head" / "this shit is icky" combination.   Other than a few duds with the Wabanaki and the Sasquatch, the dialog is Blue Mountain keeps pace with the rest.  Old Joseph, Marianne Chen, Sarge/Karen, Eleanor Franklin, all so good.

-Rasix
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #20 on: July 16, 2012, 10:34:18 AM

"No running in the halls!"

I wonder if they actually got a Scottish woman to do the voice acting for the... Scottish woman.  It doesn't sound normal, normal to me being an American faking a Scottish accent, so I think it might actually be real.
Seraphim
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 16, 2012, 11:19:20 AM

I love the Mummy in Egypt and the Marya guy who dances a lot. But really I don't think there are any duds among the NPCs who have dialogue.

However what I really want to know is what about new clothes?  Grin

Hehe, Nassir was pretty hilarious in Egypt. The Oxford duo was well done but I think the Innsmouth Academy is my favourite as well so far.
Sadly they dropped the ball on most NPCs in the City of the Sun God but once in Transylvania it picks up again.

As for the clothes I wouldn't expect any major additions before the next Issue come last of August when we get the Barber shop etc.
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: July 16, 2012, 11:30:53 AM

"No running in the halls!"

I wonder if they actually got a Scottish woman to do the voice acting for the... Scottish woman.  It doesn't sound normal, normal to me being an American faking a Scottish accent, so I think it might actually be real.

Well, according to this thread on the forums, she's voiced by Annabel Scholey who's from Yorkshire so not that far away from Scotland. She does a very good job but there's the odd word here and there that doesn't sound quite right.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: July 16, 2012, 11:47:07 AM

I know nothing about England and Scotland, but I can tell you this for comparison: if you hired an Italian actor that is not from Rome to play a part with a specific Roman inflection, that would be laughably bad to anyone who is Roman, and quite OK to everyone else. Since she is NOT from Scotland, I am not surprised if Scottish people can tell her accent is not from anywhere in Scotland.

Wherever that accent is from though, I absolutely love it.

On a side, funny note, I just spent the past weekend with two girls from Glasgow. One had what sounded to me like a "quite normal British" accent, while the other one's was so thick and so weird (and so Scottish, they said) that she sounded almost like the parody of a Scottish sailor to my ears, but once again I absolutely loved it. Needless to say, I could grasp about 50% of what she said, sometimes not even that.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: July 16, 2012, 02:55:38 PM

I know nothing about England and Scotland, but I can tell you this for comparison: if you hired an Italian actor that is not from Rome to play a part with a specific Roman inflection, that would be laughably bad to anyone who is Roman, and quite OK to everyone else. Since she is NOT from Scotland, I am not surprised if Scottish people can tell her accent is not from anywhere in Scotland.

Wherever that accent is from though, I absolutely love it.

On a side, funny note, I just spent the past weekend with two girls from Glasgow. One had what sounded to me like a "quite normal British" accent, while the other one's was so thick and so weird (and so Scottish, they said) that she sounded almost like the parody of a Scottish sailor to my ears, but once again I absolutely loved it. Needless to say, I could grasp about 50% of what she said, sometimes not even that.

Did you get them to pose naked for you and if so were you arrested? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 09:22:49 AM by Ginaz »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: July 16, 2012, 03:42:07 PM

Ha!
No, no nakedness this time. It was a hooping workshop though, so hooping "clothes" (read: swimsuits).

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: The Secret World - Issue #1 - "Unleashed" (July 31st)  
Jump to: