Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:12:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Blacklight: Retribution 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blacklight: Retribution  (Read 7654 times)
Dren
Terracotta Army

on: July 05, 2012, 12:26:50 PM

I checked this one out.  Its another of the long growing list of f2p.  Other than the servers getting slammed and not being up to par for it, it is a decent shooter.  I've been doing fairly well avoiding paying-to-win so far, but you can certainly do that to help yourself.  It still comes down to player skill like most fps.  The longer I play the better I get.

The main issue which is a killer for me (reason I'm wasting time posting,) is the server traffic.  Tons of idiots spammers in general chat and no games getting started.  Once I can find a good game going it is no problem, but that takes awhile.  The auto-join is not working so you have to manually hammer yourself into a game.  Right now the game list doesn't even come up, so that isn't even possible.

I'm hoping the traffic dies down in a few weeks.  I could enjoy this one until PS2 comes out anyway.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 01:28:44 PM

Steam previews look interesting. Will have to check it out at some point.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 03:21:16 PM

TotalBiscuit did a WTF is?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju6Pi9Nbugk

I played it a bit yesterday. It's a decent enough CoD-style MP shooter with a ridiculous amount of customization, though most of it is just minor tweaks to things.

The Hyper Reality Visor is the main thing that keeps the game from a totally generic MP modern combat shooter. That and the mini-mech you can pilot awesome, for real
Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 03:25:31 PM

I like a lot of the little touches this game has. No more UAV, you have the visor. Scopes actually have a few practical differences, maps are approachable and well designed from what Ive seen and hey; I can actually set keybindings and the mouse works properly. That's always nice.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 08:20:24 AM

I'm level 10 now and getting the hang of it.  I'm pretty convinced people are using aimbot at a fairly high level.  I've played enough and spectated some games to tell.  If somebody knows right where you are without doing the emote to use the HRV, then something is up.  I just snooped for hacks for the game and aimbot has a pretty slick hack out already.  I even watched a youtube video of somebody using it just like I see people doing in the game.  

Locations of other players are available to the client because of HRV and when spectating you can see where everyone is.  Then is just a matter of drawing a nice little box around them and autolock to their head.  I like the HRV concept but seems to be leaving them pretty wide open to this hack.

I wouldn't say this kills the game yet, but don't get upset if one or two players just seem to clean up the map with you.  Just feel good you can compete and not resort to cheating.  I find it funny that people are paying for a cheat on a free game.  It would be nice to think they will patch so cheats are impossible, but we all know that is just a dream.

Edit:  Forgot to mention they have been patching and fixing server stability issues too.  Seems to be working even better this morning.  Mechanics-wise, this game has no issues that I can find.  If you are looking for a modern shooter to try out, spend a bit of time and check this out.  Don't spend a dime until  you give it a shot though.  They are talking about a zombie-pve mode in future patches, so if all out pvp (along with hacks) isn't your thing, maybe come back later.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 08:25:47 AM by Dren »
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 10:27:47 PM

Does this thing actually work through it's Steam release? When I get to the game launcher/patcher thing, everything shows up fine, yet once the game actually loads, I am always looking at "can not log in because servers are offline".

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 11:34:39 PM

Yes it works. Steam is no longer involved once the launcher is, uh, launched (e.g. there's no Steam overlay within the game). The servers have been having issues since the Steam release: http://gamerfront.net/2012/07/blacklight-retribution-still-suffering-from-server-issues/21496
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 12:29:56 AM

Thanks for that. Servers are still always showing up as offline once I'm in-game, no matter what I do. G

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 12:46:28 AM

Weird I tried it through Steam before I posted my message above to verify the state of things and it was working for me -- I was able to get into a game as a spectator.

Try running BLR.exe directly without using Steam or the launcher to see if that works. Path will be something like:

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\blacklightretribution\Blacklight Retribution\Live\Binaries\Win32\BLR.exe
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 01:23:39 AM

Weird I tried it through Steam before I posted my message above to verify the state of things and it was working for me -- I was able to get into a game as a spectator.

Try running BLR.exe directly without using Steam or the launcher to see if that works. Path will be something like:

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\blacklightretribution\Blacklight Retribution\Live\Binaries\Win32\BLR.exe

No go, still doesn't seem to work. What version is your game?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 01:55:47 AM

BLR.exe is 0.9.7.2 (v0.972) 18,659,840 bytes. Maybe you are blocking some ports the server browser needs?

And I take back something I said earlier, the Steam overlay does work within the game if you've installed it through Steam.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 02:20:25 AM

Yea, I'm thinking that it might be ports or something. I can think of no other reason for it to be doing what its doing. Grr.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 08:29:50 AM

Made an account after downloading. It appeared to be created (the name is taken) but no confirmation e-mail or ability to login using it. Seems like a lot of their systems aren't working very well as the steam forum is full of similar stories.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 11:01:47 AM

On advice from pals I downloaded this directly from the game site, not steam and I've had no problems.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 09:31:06 AM

I used Steam and had no issues.  The individual game servers can be tricky.  I set up filters so it only shows what I want and that helped a lot.  You also have to refresh and jump in quickly as empty spots get taken up quick. 

I'm not sure what happened but I seem to see less "cheating" now.  For awhile some people would get 50 kills and 3 deaths on maps where second place would maybe have 12/8.  Now, everyone is pretty even in cases were teams would blow out other in games like King of the Hill (KotH.)  The teams worked better together, but the kill/death ratios were what you would expect.

Oh, and General Chat is the devil in this game.  Constant spamming and you are forced to be in the channel.  If you are in it for too long, it starts to lag your client.  It is either filling up memory or there is a memory leak, not an expert, but it really sucks.  They need to allow you to just get out of that channel completely or block it somehow.  I expect they will do something soon.  Is it one of the top complaints in the game right now....other than server stability since Steam launch.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 12:21:17 PM

"/leave Global" closes the chat channel. Too bad it's not permanent.

Overall this game owns bones, especially considering it's free. Tons of customization options. You can rent stuff for dirt cheap or eventually get enough points to get them permanently, but the game throws free stuff at you when you level up anyway. Runs excellent and beautiful. Steam release made the servers wonky, but what can you do when suddenly your playerbase more than doubles.

Got the Starter Pack since the developers deserve money.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 28, 2012, 09:28:00 AM

Thanks for the advise.  I'll do that.  Yeah, it should be permanent. 
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 04, 2012, 08:14:52 PM

This title use my STO log in?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #18 on: August 04, 2012, 08:21:46 PM

If you have a Perfect World account you can use it for this game too.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 04, 2012, 08:40:47 PM

I can't get any account to work, including the one I just made. Also, no e-mails. But the names are taken! I also cant use the E-mail again! But, recover password says the E-mail is not in the data base.

:/

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #20 on: August 04, 2012, 08:45:20 PM

Sickrubik was complaining to me in IRC yesterday about a similar problem with Perfect World accounts, apparently they have some serious issues with their account recovery systems.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 05, 2012, 12:10:50 AM

I gave up.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 07, 2012, 08:22:42 AM

Finally got in. Played it. Its fun. Its solid. Its REALLY fast.

Not sure what it reminds me of though. Some sort of Counter strike, Quake with a smattering of Section 8.

Also, the cash shop, that shits expensive. The GUI is information overkill on an Eve level, and still achieves not telling you anything about items. 5 different clicks/sub-menus between buying/receiving an item, and equipping it. Renting Gear irks me. I was trying to only buy/unlock permanent things. But the game insisted on tossing 3 and 7 day items at me, now I have no idea when my scope will magically disappear, or whatever.

Playing in the 1-10 bracket, i saw a surprising number of noobs with high end stuff, meaning they paid to unlock it early ( Skipping level requirements ). Things like shields and pain field things. I'm sure they will make a mint off this game. Only thing that disappointed me was lack of visual customization of my toon. Everything is stat based, so that's going to be anyone's guiding factor in terms of looks.

It has a very APB/Saints row presentation, even if its a future militaristic world in looks.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 08:29:36 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 09, 2012, 06:07:09 AM

Ok, now that I'm in, I  really like this game. Its extremely fun with friends.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Blacklight: Retribution  
Jump to: