Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:46:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Useful Information Thread. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useful Information Thread.  (Read 22744 times)
trias_e
Terracotta Army

on: July 03, 2012, 06:43:20 AM

Here's a pretty helpful and informational FAQ.   

http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com/guides:tswfaq

It answers most of the repeated questions I see from new players.  Plus I learned plenty about game mechanics as well that I didn't know before. 

« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 07:16:34 AM by trias_e »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 06:54:53 AM

I'll use this thread to post an interesting post from Martin Bruusgaard I just found, talking about Dungeons, Lairs, Pocket Bosses and Raids (or the lack of).

TSW will launch without raids, but they will come in future content updates.
Let me talk a little bit about the Dungeon difficulty. Dungeons come in 3 difficulties. The names are pending atm, so let's call them 1, 2, 3, where 1 is the easiest.

Difficulty 1 is approximately the difficulty level of what the player is when playing through that playfield, where the dungeon exists, while progressing through the game. They are generally scaled to something the player would do when they have explored a zone and gotten a fair share of the gear from it. So people should be able to do The Polaris at the end of Kingsmouth, as an example.

Difficulty 2 is the difficulty level for when a player has played through all the adventure zones, and has started to get gear from Transylvania. The difficulty level of the 3 Transylvania is about the same, so the dungeons here come only in difficulty 2 and 3 (since 1 and 2 would be the same).

Difficulty 3 is... um.. Really really hard  At this point we put hard blockers when it comes to what abilities to bring. A dot that might take 30% of your health in difficulty level 2, will kill you here - so you better bring someone who can remove it. We do the same thing for tanking type, damage dealing, healing type, crowd controlling, movement abilities... everything. These bosses doesn't only have more damage and hp, but new abilities, so you need to apply new tactics. You really have to work as a group and coordinate in advance in order to be successful. Compared to other mmos I've played, I would say that this would be the equivalent to a really hard raid, but in TSW it's still regarded as a 5 man dungeon.

Note: In the description of the difficulties I've focused on gear. In order to be successful you still need to bring more than good gear. You've already seen how we build our dungeons, and what skill level we demand from the players, and I hope you see that it's about more than just bringing gear. The reason I bring up the gear is that when balancing we need a starting point for player strength. From there it's pure craftsmanship from the dungeon designer.

All around in the game you will find groups of special monsters, which is the ultimate version of their race. These will be really hard to kill, unless you bring certain abilities. Let's say you go to a camp where block is required. These mobs will drop really good block gear. This is also where you can get really good item suffixes (the ones you can add to an item and may say: "Every time you block you do a pbaoe damage with increased hate"). You can either go here and face the challenge yourself, as it is doable by skilled players, but I believe we'll see a lot of players bringing their friends with a special skill set to challenges like these.

In every zone you will also find a dedicated group area, which are intended for 2-3 players. These are NOT the kind of "group play" where you're in a competition, and whoever performs best wins the best loot. The players need to cooperate in order to be successful, and lore, achievements and loot is distributed evenly. In here players can also pick up "blueprints". If they solve a puzzle they will be able to spawn and fight some of the signature monsters of TSW, which will give a nice reward.

So as you can see, no we don't have raids, but we have lots of interesting pve group play that will hopefully keep you guys busy and happy in TSW for a long long time

Later:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbeard  
What exactly are blueprints? Are they crafting designs, cosmetic modifiers, or something else? Or did you mean that the blueprints will actually spawn the monster?

Also, are these "group areas" separate from the elite monster groups you mentioned above?

The blueprints combine pve combat, puzzles and crafting. And you will most likely need a group to take them down, after summoning them.

And yes, these group areas are separate from the monster camps.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 08:37:55 AM

The closest thing we have to wowhead I can find right now is the cry gaia wiki but since the game is new and doesn't have ten million people playing it the articles are sparse.

Edit: This wiki/blog is also very good, it has a lot more detailed information and does a good job explaining the complicted systems.  It is written by the two people who wrote most of the stickied explanation threads on the official forums.

In terms of "I wish I had known that" type things I could pass on to new players:

- Many inner sections of a wheel you complete will reward you with a piece of clothing but there is no notice of this.
- London seems to be the main hub regardless of your faction because it has more stores and services.
- There is a clothing store north of the Agartha portal in London, you can buy clothes there for pax romana.
- You can also buy clothing from the in game store but they cost "Funcom points", it is a micro transaction type thing.
- There is a bank in London to the west of the clothing store.
- If you are switching between abilities or have a set tank/dps type layout you like use the gear manager and save it to easily switch between them.  It is called gear manager but it also saves your ability bars (check that it works when switching though, mine always drops a passive slot).
- Pressing V will AoE autoloot without having to click on anything.
- There are blue quality QL5 and QL6 weapons for sale in savage coast and blue mountain, I would suggest saving for the QL6 because the price is the same.  The price is in signets which you gain by doing quests.  You will need a glyph to put in the weapon, they also sell blue quality glyphs but you can use something found in your journeys too.
- Since the enemies don't ramp up as fast as other games if you play with just one other person you can easily handle a zone above what you could solo.
- If you replace a quest it "Pauses" on the tier you were at, so you can pick up where you left off.  You "Unpause" by going back to the quest giver.
- Before you run off after getting a quest make sure to read the next step, a lot of quests have the first step as picking up something where it begins.  You don't want to fight your way halfway across the map and then find out you forgot to pick up the whatchamacallit.
- The most useful double tap to perform a roll isn't left or right, it is forward.  Many mobs have a large fast moving circle so you have to turn around and get out of the way fast.
- If you get a phone call from your faction giving you a mission just accept it and pause your current one.  It is a pain in the ass trying to regain that quest since it just comes as a phone call and there is no quest giver.  I have heard you might be able to pick it back up by going to your faction leader area but I don't know.
- Some solo dungeons seem a little flaky if you are in a group, I would suggest dropping group before going in.  It only matters in the ones where you have to fight.
- As you gain xp you will be rewarded with faction ranks.  At a certain rank (I'm not sure what) you can buy a slightly faster sprint, I would recommend doing so (especially since there isn't much to spend money on right now anyways).
- Buying enough inventory slots to go from the starting 50 to 100 costs about 100,000 pax romana and is very worth doing if you are crafting/disassembling.
- If you would like to have a potion/anima/quest item clickable bar bring up your inventory, create a new bag, size the bag as a 1x5 row or whatever you like, then click the lock button so that it remains on screen.  Now just position it where you like and you have easy access to potions.
- If you are trying to jump somewhere sprint really does matter.  If you need to bridge a large gap make sure it's on, if you are trying to do a delicate hop turn it off.
- Map your autorun button to something close by, you will be using it a lot.
- If you want to preview how clothing looks on you both in game and item store have preview buttons but it shows on your actual character, not a separate window.  Move to undo it.
- If you want to just completely remove a piece of clothing select it in the dressing room and the button will change to "Unwear" or something like that.  It won't let you do this if it would make you naked (thankfully).
- You should complete the inner circles for two weapons before further specializing in one.  It is important to use two complimentary weapons.
- If you want to tank one of the small green "Misc" wheel slices is dedicated to that.  Another seems good for PvP and the last seems like it would be needed for dps in high level dungeons to manage their aggro.
- If you are dropping things from a stack in the crafting window just click it and then right click each square you want to split the items into, it will let you drop one at a time without going through the split stack ui window.
- To add a glyph to your weapon you put them both in the crafting window and click assemble.
- Most quests which involve giving something to an npc just need you to be near them to trigger but for some you have to select them with the mouse.
- Doing all of the first zone even after you have outlevelled it is a fast way to rack up sp and ap.
- You can add your own markers to the map, if you plan on repeating quests put down a marker where you find each start.

I'm sure there are more but that is all I could think of off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 01:32:35 PM by Miasma »
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 09:35:06 AM

- Many inner sections of a wheel you complete will reward you with a piece of clothing but there is no notice of this.
To be exact, there's a "jacket/coat" type of clothing reward for completing both inner sections of each weapon type skillset.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 09:40:05 AM

TSW Deck builder link. Pretty simple but effective

http://thesecretsandbox.com/Deck/

Edit: Also, the bank has a mailbox. I don't know if it works I just remember seeing a mailbox type system
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 09:42:22 AM by Segoris »
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 10:33:45 AM

- Map your autorun button to something close by, you will be using it a lot.

Going back a stage - you can sprint in this game. By default, you press the X button to do so.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 10:42:50 AM

You can upgrade your sprint in the headquarters by the way.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 11:53:49 AM

Edit: Also, the bank has a mailbox. I don't know if it works I just remember seeing a mailbox type system
The bank also functions as auction house.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 12:32:24 PM

- If you get a phone call from your faction giving you a mission just accept it and pause your current one.  It is a pain in the ass trying to regain that quest since it just comes as a phone call and there is no quest giver.  I have heard you might be able to pick it back up by going to your faction leader area but I don't know.

Basically it is in your main faction contact's room. So for Templar's Richard Sonnac's office. For Illuminati, it's the Hip Hop chick. Geary? Basically there will be a letter in their office that let's you start the quest.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 01:06:03 PM

Complete 5 investigation quests and the reward is a townie hat.   awesome, for real

Don't be belittle Kirsten.   Heart

www.orochigroup.net  - Might help for a certain quest.

-Rasix
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 11:16:30 AM

These are good links for what the faction decks look like in game, they can be fairly different from the artwork:

Templars

Illuminati

Dragon

I have also found some of the info/builds on this site useful: http://tswguides.blogspot.ca/p/builds.html
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 11:21:01 AM by Miasma »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 12:40:15 PM

Wow. Some of those outfits are much better than I though they could be.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 09:10:26 AM

The Goon needs a giant sword to complete the look.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 07:10:45 AM

Deckbuilder with highlighting for other abilities that work off an effect.

Sephora's Closet -- Pretty complete fashion link

Dulfy Healer (a la Rift & SWTOR) with fashion guide, quest and dungeon walkthroughs.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 07:22:20 AM

At the council of venice weapon vendors you can buy an item that changes the appearance of one weapon to another, the cost is in tokens (30 iirc).  So if you get a cool looking QL3 hammer in a dungeon you can make your QL6 hammer look like it.  It destroys the cool looking weapon in the process so be sure not to use it on the wrong thing.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 10:16:43 AM

Macro commands
http://blackrabbit2999.blogspot.com/2012/07/secret-world-chat-commands-and-gui.html

This will also provide functional gear management through macro commands that actually work (or so I've read)
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 12:02:10 PM

Ability picker - this allows filtering of abilities. Useful if you're doing something like trying to build a Strike, or Impair build and want things that are associated with a given effect/damage/buff/etc

http://www.nine-swords.com/directives.php?d=60
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 17, 2012, 06:05:30 AM

Dulfy has added an Agartha map. If you are directionally challenged as I am, this may be helpful. It also has some short cuts that involve jumping between branches.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 18, 2012, 02:47:15 AM

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #19 on: July 18, 2012, 08:02:31 AM

That's not just better looking it also works way better.

Here's a question, what do you think it means if a passive makes something "more effective"?  As in all weapons have a passive which grant a straight 10% damage buff but Hammers also has "Improved Strikes" which says "All your STRIKE abilities are 7.5% more effective."  I don't know if that means more damage or if special effects last longer or what.  Because obviously 7.5% is less than 10% but it is an outer while passive so it must have some sort of advantage.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #20 on: July 18, 2012, 09:03:04 AM

Hmmm there's an ability in pistols which increases all consumer damage by 7.5% and one in assault rifle that gives up to 10% more damage until you glance and lose all the stacks.

That site is nice because I don't like inspecting the wheel in game, I'd rather be questing.  I'm in low level ql10s and have gained a fair bit of ap which I've just dumped evenly into hammer/shotgun because I didn't know what I wanted to do, I'm still using almost all inner ring abilities (which have frankly been working just fine so far).

But now I think I'll give this a go as my first outer ring build.  I don't like to rely on effects like crits or penetrates, I just like straighforward damage increases.  Replaced my self heal with a passive that will heal 40% and was able to add a ranged pull ability which I've always wanted.  One of my consumers now has a four second cool down which might take some getting used to, if an enemy is near dead I will often blow consumers at two stacks just to finish but that might happen in less than four seconds.  Oh well, time to put on my big boy outfit and give it a try.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 09:22:11 AM

One thing I can tell you, one thing that the Devs stated over and over. Outer rings skills are NOT supposed to be better than inner rings ones. They are just "more" skills, and they cost more because of the TCG logic so more cards you have and the more you have to spend to get the ones you are missing (converesely, the noober you are, the easier it is to get useful cards since literally everything is useful). So it's entirely possible for a 27AP outer ring skill to be less "powerful" than an inner ring 5 AP one. But usually it's not really about more or less powerful, it's a thing about slight differences which can fit different specific roles in different decks. Their intention, save for Elite Skills, was to make every single skill equally useful, given a specific deck. For example, one skill has more damage but maybe a longer recast, or a casting time, or it can glance, and so on. Outside of Elite Skills, no skill "should" be outright better than a similar one.

At least, that is what they stated repeatedly.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 09:30:37 AM

Oh yes I understand that, it's just an order of magnitude more difficult to put together a good outer ring deck because now you have to look for very specific things.  If you find those things they will work well together and do more damage as a deck but the individual abilities aren't any more powerful.  My build revolves around the strike attack with weakened state now.  I still have one builder, two single target closers, two AoE closers (one for each weapon) but they should all work on a more nuanced level now when combined with the passives I chose.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 09:37:20 AM by Miasma »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #23 on: July 18, 2012, 11:40:33 AM

Yeah, I'm having to retrain my mind around the idea that just because an outer ring ability costs 3 times as much AP to get as an inner one, that doesn't mean it'll be better to use. That's so not like MMOG's.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, 01:38:51 PM

I was never good at making 60 card decks in magic.
Seraphim
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: July 29, 2012, 12:42:54 PM

For those of you whom want to get just that particular skin on your weapons there's:

This site has screenshots of most crafted weapons,

TSW-Loot as the name suggest only lists dungeon loots but has screenies on many of them.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #26 on: August 02, 2012, 07:15:21 PM

Important things I have learned that were not obvious to me:
- you can combine lower QL material (metal, etc) to make higher QL material (5:1)
- your passive skills can come from *any* part of the skill wheel, they're not limited to the equipped weapons
- if right-clicking on items stops working (and just always pastes to chat), tapping the CTRL key fixes this

EDIT: If the Achievements/Lore window is making you go blind from trying to read the tiny text, F10/Interface/Advanced and crank up the achievement window scale slider.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 08:25:52 AM by Quinton »
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: August 08, 2012, 08:36:50 AM

Good info on glyphs and how many stat points the combinations can give
https://sites.google.com/site/tswnotes/home/glyphs
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Useful Information Thread.  
Jump to: