Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:05:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Things you don't like. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Things you don't like.  (Read 173899 times)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

on: July 02, 2012, 05:16:58 AM

Might as well start this topic, as it's going to show up sooner or later.

Three things, listed in order of dislike, from least to greatest.

1 - The fact that I have to choose full screen every time I start up.

2 - The way the shards are set up so that the servers can't distinguish who's clicking what and therefore quests get bugged.

3 - Other. Fucking. Players. Asshats asking for spoilers in chat and the bitches whining about said spoilers in the same chat are equally annoying. Sartre was right, Hell is other people.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 05:38:11 AM

Lack of auto-join f13 channel function for the chat.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 06:35:39 AM

Badly designed puzzles.  This has always been a huge pet peeve of mine though.  Stuff like Dirty Laundry or the Patient Records one are likely to catch you up on things which aren't even really part of the puzzle.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 06:35:56 AM

Chat bugs
Hitting ESC key doesn't always close the top window and will sometimes open up the options menu, annoying
Playing in 1900x1200 resolution (maybe others, I don't know) trying to click the X to close a window is actually annoying since it's normally off-center and a small area that is needed
Some items are so small they're tough to click on when needed for a quest
There's some latency issues where at times people will lose connection to server roughly every 30seconds (it's annoying as fuck and had it happen twice over the weekend)
Non-party members can mess with certain quests of yours, bad bad design but rare
Crafting is fucking annoying. I like the idea but not the execution.

All these things are pretty minor, otherwise launch and game has been smooth
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 07:00:52 AM

"Hunt the pixel" search quests. Trying to distinguish "quest paper" from "nonquest paper" on the ground isn't fun, it's just irritating.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 07:53:24 AM

Limited quest space.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 08:01:51 AM

Only one question, on the limited quest space: don't you feel the game would play (and "taste") very differently if you could mindlessly haul loads of quests the usual way, playing the map more than the stories?

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 08:11:37 AM

It depends upon your approach to the game.  I view myself as a trouble shooter trying to keep this place from getting any worse.  It bugs the hell out of me to be passing something and unable to evaluate if I should be able to take care of it while I am in the area or wait, or worse, have a quest I'm part way through on the other side of the map but unable to take the one right in front of me.

I'm going to get around to everything, but mostly focus on what's around.  I shouldn't have to remember I passed a quest in the middle-of-nowhere I have to pick up later because my journal was full.

Given that investigation missions may take a while to puzzle out (I do not want to look up spoilers; or worse are bugged), I also hate my "main" mission be blocked.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 08:14:21 AM

Understandable.
That said, one tip: add markers to map for quests you want to pick up later.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 08:15:24 AM

I feel like the quests are more interesting due to the limited quest space.  It's a tradeoff for sure though.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 08:43:34 AM

Only one question, on the limited quest space: don't you feel the game would play (and "taste") very differently if you could mindlessly haul loads of quests the usual way, playing the map more than the stories?
It'd definitely play different if you didn't have a limit of just one combat+sabotage+investigation quest when at least 50-75% of quests you find is of one of those types. There's some reasonable middle ground between that and the "loads of quests" that'd feel less restrictive, and it has lot to do with our ability to multitask, than with being "mindless".

Heck, they could've just leave the '5 slots aside from main plot' and just let you fill them as you see fit instead of the current 1 of X, 3 of Y.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 08:50:38 AM

That'd help a lot.  I've finished all the side missions except at the airport, but have at least half the main missions left to go.

The other things is I tend to, uh, get distracted easily.  It really, really, really irks me to be forced to stay on task when my brain is telling me to change gears.  (Poor Minvaren having to put up with that...)

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 09:52:52 AM

The investigation quests.  I'm not sure I like anything that needs to be solved with Google.  Some of the clues are just way too obscure, even for someone that's fairly well read and educated.   I did, however, like parts of them and the Madem Roget one at least just tests your knowledge of Kingsmouth and the Secret World in general.

I keep running into a bug where I'll start the game and it'll be single digit FPS.  Takes a reboot to clear it up.

Although I bought the increased running speed, there's no visual indication that I can see that I have it. I don't know where it shows that I have it. Inventory, character sheet, where? 

Needs to be a larger number of active quests.  Maybe increase the main type to at least 2 and sub to at least 4-5.  Right now, you have to do a lot of back tracking in Kingsmouth and it gets to be a chore at times.

-Rasix
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 10:13:02 AM

Although I bought the increased running speed, there's no visual indication that I can see that I have it. I don't know where it shows that I have it. Inventory, character sheet, where? 
It doesn't show anywhere as far as i can tell, but it does work -- in the PvP area i found it was very easy to tell who didn't yet have it, as it wouldn't take me very long to catch up/overtake them.

For the google thing, i can live with it; things like specific passage from the Bible are definitely not something i have memorized, but they fit the context. And even Indiana Jones was helping himself with dad's journal. why so serious?
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 11:31:58 AM

The investigation quests.  I'm not sure I like anything that needs to be solved with Google.  Some of the clues are just way too obscure

Just ran into a quest where the "research this outside the game" thing seriously irked me.

I like the fake websites and what not but if I'm supposed to do out of game research it should make that a bit less vague.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 04:34:36 PM

I don't like how it seems to take half a second for the cursor to change to gears or magnifying glass when I hover over something and then I further dislike the quarter second it takes between when the cursor does change and when the click will actually work.

I also want an LFD tool.  There is no need for yet another nerd fight over whether or not you like LFD tools.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 02:00:16 PM by Miasma »
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 07:22:57 AM

Bugged quests suck so hard in this game, definitely my biggest problem with the game so far. 

They are far worse than bugged quests in other games, because these quests can be somewhat difficult and take some thought process to begin with.  So now that I know some quests are bugged, I'm constantly asking myself "Is this bugged, or am I just not thinking about this correctly?".  I don't really want to spoil myself if I'm just doing it wrong.  On that note, this list is quite helpful:  http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=37724

A secondary part of this general issue is the wanky and unintuitive targeting of quest objects.  Sometimes the target isn't even on the object, but above or below it.  So sometimes I think the object is bugged when I'm just not clicking on the right spot.  Luckily this isn't common, but when it has occurred it has been really frustrating.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 09:59:37 AM

Toolkits... do they tell you how to arrange the shit you are supposed to be crafting? If they do, I don't know how to access that menu. If they don't, well fuck you, Funcom, I HAVE A TOOLKIT. Aren't there fucking blueprints in this thing that tell me what grid I'm supposed to put things in, or am I just supposed to bang around like a monkey with a bone until I hit the right spot on the obelisk?

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 10:03:59 AM

Toolkits... do they tell you how to arrange the shit you are supposed to be crafting? If they do, I don't know how to access that menu.

There are a few quests that give most of the basic shapes.   You can also put an item in the disassemble slot and it shows you the pattern for that item type.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 10:07:19 AM

There's a link to all the patterns in the crafting thread.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 10:10:27 AM

There is one quest right by the sheriff's office at the beginning of Kingsmouth. It's called "Zen and the Art of Weapon Mainteinance". It gives you a book that you are supposed to use to complete the quest which is nothing else but a crafting tutorial. The book stays with you and it shows all the shapes.

Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 11:03:12 AM

Just ran into a quest where the "research this outside the game" thing seriously irked me.

I like the fake websites and what not but if I'm supposed to do out of game research it should make that a bit less vague.

Yes. Every puzzle should be solveable in game. It's nice that you cheat if you want to, but an in game only 'hardcore' mode is nice.

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 11:11:23 AM

There is one quest right by the sheriff's office at the beginning of Kingsmouth. It's called "Zen and the Art of Weapon Mainteinance". It gives you a book that you are supposed to use to complete the quest which is nothing else but a crafting tutorial. The book stays with you and it shows all the shapes.

I saw that book. Now, how do I bring read that book again after the quest is done?

Rasix

Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 11:20:31 AM

-Rasix
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 11:21:57 AM

I saw that book. Now, how do I bring read that book again after the quest is done?

Press J and change the dropdown to "Completed Missions"
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 11:30:37 AM

Yes. Every puzzle should be solveable in game. It's nice that you cheat if you want to, but an in game only 'hardcore' mode is nice.
They only do it for the investigations so it's fine.  It's set in the modern world so it bridges the gap between game and reality in a very cool way.  It's why you can bring up an ingame web browser with google.  If something gets too silly you can just google the answer instead of the hint.

For example:
Also: Orochi Group.  You see their posters in the starting area so it's not a spoiler.  They made an actual corporate website for a fictitious corporation that is in game.  Yes, it might have some info you could use.  That's awesome.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: July 03, 2012, 11:38:33 AM

For example:  

Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: July 03, 2012, 11:59:38 AM

Rasix

Reply #28 on: July 03, 2012, 01:33:54 PM

I've crashed a fair number of times.  Usually when I'm interacting with part of the interface.  Two crashes so far when trying on clothes.  One when using the in game browser.  Seems less stable on my machine than from beta.

Men in Black Vans also illustrates a rather frustrating aspect of this game.  Multiple people all clicking on the same fucking object where you have to click shit in the right order.  FFS.  Don't make us share the same goddamn object.  Griefapalooza.

-Rasix
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: July 03, 2012, 01:36:44 PM

Sprint needs to be a toggle that *temporarily* turns off when hit in combat or something. Having to reapply it after every fight is kinda annoying (more so than mounting, since it seems like you're expected to sprint all the time)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 01:42:20 PM by Zetor »

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 03, 2012, 01:43:01 PM

I finally was adjusted and accepting having to re-sprint after each fight, until I would start hitting sprint, casting a heal (which turns off sprint at the beginning of the cast not at the end), then having to hit sprint again. At that point I had no more patience for lack of a toggle
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #31 on: July 03, 2012, 01:55:12 PM

I'm constantly accidently double tapping movement keys which executes a crazy roll/flip which also takes me out of sprint.  Slightly annoying.

I like the toggle idea but on some of the mario jumping type things you have to be able to move slowly and so now you would need a toggle to enable walk and by this point the programmer starts glaring at you.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: July 03, 2012, 02:30:36 PM

I'd still take a toggle with the annoyance for the incredibly rare times walking may be beneficial than having to recast sprint after every single battle and then hoping your party members also remember to cast sprint after every single battle.
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: July 03, 2012, 02:50:12 PM

I'm constantly accidently double tapping movement keys which executes a crazy roll/flip which also takes me out of sprint.  Slightly annoying.

You can turn that off in options. I think it's in General > Weapon Swapping for some weird reason (holdover from AoC options?)
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: July 03, 2012, 03:30:15 PM

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Things you don't like.  
Jump to: