Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:45:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: 10 Year anniversary announcement 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 10 Year anniversary announcement  (Read 12901 times)
Xilren's Twin

on: June 21, 2012, 05:03:11 AM

Doesn't seem like it's been 10 years, but time flies and all that.

The announcement is here

Basically, giving gifts to folks based on what year they made their account, and running some events.
Plus, they are adding Planechase format, brining back Cube drafting, and are finally going to make the new client an open beta test.
I think that last one is a bad move b/c from having been in the client beta, it sucks and is buggy as hell.

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 10:51:06 AM

Awesome.  I will have lots o’ goodies waiting on my account then, since it dates to when you could buy Invasion boosters!

Banned and Restricted list update was yesterday.  The big news?  Land Tax is unbanned in Legacy.  Schild is furiously working on a Death and Taxes build as we speak, I’m sure.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 06:13:23 AM

Wrong. Blue/white tempo. Already built. Was built within 24 hours of the announcement.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 01:15:02 PM

Fuckin' land tax. Maybe the card I hated most to play against. Cursed scroll can suck it, too.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 07:16:58 AM

Fuckin' land tax. Maybe the card I hated most to play against. Cursed scroll can suck it, too.

Fuck the entire Vintage/Legacy format you mean.  Magic if one of my favorite games to play, but I never found any appeal in either of those.  Ohhhhh, I see.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 09:20:03 AM

Fuck the entire Vintage/Legacy format you mean.  Magic if one of my favorite games to play, but I never found any appeal in either of those.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Vintage and Legacy are two shockingly different animals. I would say Legacy is even more degenerate than Vintage. Sure, sometimes a vintage player gets the nut turn 1 Time Vault and just wins immediately. Or sometimes they Oath out nearly immediately. But really, Vintage is far more fair than Legacy. Due to all the truly broken cards being broken, Legacy has become a hotbed of super streamlined decks that fall into one of two categories: "Fair" and "Unfair."

Stoneblade, Goblins, Fish, Maverick, Burn, Eva Green, RUG Delver, etc - these are fair decks. If you took any two of these and played against eachother, you'd enjoy the format - a ton. It's like Standard, but fun.

Imperial Painter, Dredge, T.E.S., High Tide/Solidarity, Belcher, Elfball, Lands, etc - These are unfair decks. If you like winning, you play these. Given any tournament, if someone picks the right combo deck - the right one being the one everyone forgot to pack hate for - i.e. this weekends SCG open was won by 43 Lands - you're just going to take the whole thing with minimal effort. Misplays aside, you should win everything. Lands hasn't won anything relevant in a few years, it was the right time for it to come back. Hell, just Saturday I was making a joke about playing Lands at the next tournament, can't do that now.

When no one picks the right unfair deck, a fair deck wins. It's an incredibly diverse and rich format about 10x deeper and 300x more streamlined than any other format. It also has, what I'd argue, to be the smallest card pool among any of the constructed card pools. You can play anything, but you really shouldn't. There's a "best" version of every effect.

In other words, I hate to say it like this - but you were playing it wrong if you didn't like it. Unless you just hate constructed formats and only play limited - which I would argue is as much Magic as Dredge is Magic. Which is, it's not Magic, it's a different game played with the same rules under completely different circumstances.

On that note, I play Ichorid/Dredge in Vintage, because I like unfair decks. And the only thing close to Power that I own is 4x Bazaar of Baghdad.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 05:10:30 AM

So what about Modern?  I recognize it's an attempt to make a more "fair" legacy type environment but have zero experience with it myself.

schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 08:34:32 AM

It's not an attempt to make a more fair legacy. It's an attempt to make an eternal format without a reserve list so they can reprint whatever. It's a very young format with very mediocre decks.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 03:47:49 AM

Thanks for the heads up, I loaded this up once in 2012 when I reinstalled it :)

It's so nice to be a 2002 user and get free goodies - even if it's been a long time since I've played.

I just found boxes of cards a few days ago - pretty sad when I find things like decks going back to old-school necropotence, millstone/Jester's Cap/humility/orim's prayer/outpost, living death, dreadnaught etc. I guess that dates the last time I played.

Looking through some of my sets, I wish I hadn't sold off my Arabian Nights/Antiquities and power cards. At the time it seemed like a good idea.

Now I just look at all the new rules and wonder if I'd be able to catch up.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 06:10:32 AM

It's not an attempt to make a more fair legacy. It's an attempt to make an eternal format without a reserve list so they can reprint whatever. It's a very young format with very mediocre decks.

Well…

It is a more fair Legacy in the sense that it means they aren’t tied to supporting shitty overpowered cards from 15 years ago, so aren’t completely dependent on Force of Will preventing the format from degenerating into a few I-win combo strategies.  The modern design philosophy didn’t become fully adopted until ONS block/8th Edition, pretty much, which is where hard counters move to 3cc and card draw is massively nerfed as well as marking the start of the buffing of creatures.

Modern is still in the shaking out phase.  Bans and unbans come regularly and the format is in a bit of flux.  Legacy was the exact same way it’s first few years of existence.  Not worth it to pursue as a format until it becomes settled.
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 10:22:55 AM

Thanks for the heads up, I loaded this up once in 2012 when I reinstalled it :)

It's so nice to be a 2002 user and get free goodies - even if it's been a long time since I've played.

I just found boxes of cards a few days ago - pretty sad when I find things like decks going back to old-school necropotence, millstone/Jester's Cap/humility/orim's prayer/outpost, living death, dreadnaught etc. I guess that dates the last time I played.

Looking through some of my sets, I wish I hadn't sold off my Arabian Nights/Antiquities and power cards. At the time it seemed like a good idea.

Now I just look at all the new rules and wonder if I'd be able to catch up.
It's a great game now, but if you aren't able to catch up, feel free to box up those boxes and ship them off to me.

/obligatorycharityspam
Xilren's Twin

Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 09:01:26 PM

Two random magic bits that probably arent worth a new post.

I played my first paper magic game in about 8 years this weekend at an M13 sealed release event.  Much to my susprise managed to go 4-1 and come in second place overall with a UR deck featuring Jace the lesser, Tarlands Invocation, the blue guy who pulls a sorcery/instant out of your graveyard, an Unsummon, plus a Jace's phantasm, Provocateur and 2 red burn spells.  I opened a Worldfire but was too chicken to try to play it.  Most memorable game from the night I actually lost; I'm low on life but am milling a guy out; i'll survive one more turn he's down to 1 card left in his library, he prays to the top deck gods he has something to force through enough damage and draws an .... Elixir of Immortailty!  thereby shuffling his whole graveyard back into his library.  It was literally the only card he had that could save him and got a round of applause from the other nearby players.   awesome, for real

Only reason I had gone to the store was to pickup the promo pack of cards you get from playing the Duels of the Plansewalkers 2013 version, found out about the event and happened to have some time, which is mythic rare.  Nice confluence of events.  Gotta say though, the typical magic player has NOT changed much.  A more social awakard, cheetoes dipped bunch of black wearing gamers would be hard to imagine, though once you get past the teenage/young adult bluster (did i really used to curse that much at that age to make myself feel older?) they all were very nice.  I was pleasantly surprised to see 3 women playing and 1 reading manga while supporting her husband's efforts.  That fresh faced couple is like 21 years old; made me feel ancient by comparison.

Speaking of Duels of the of the Plansewalkers game, apparently Ken Troop the former Turbine guy (did DDO) is the Digital Design Manager for Magic at WotC and lead designer on DotP.  I like a whole lot more what they are attempting to do with that than the impending MTGO client release...  The inclusion of the "encounter" challenges in this years game reminds me of the kind of stuff you used to be able to do in the old Microprose game, or for that matter, what you could do with an online game set in a persistant world type environment with magic as the combat system in my "one design doc to rule them all" game ...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 12:30:13 PM by Xilren's Twin »

Avis

Email
Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 11:28:52 PM

10 years?! OMG I'm so old :))
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: 10 Year anniversary announcement  
Jump to: