Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:44:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: Blizzard's Community Relations 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blizzard's Community Relations  (Read 62838 times)
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

on: June 19, 2012, 08:11:17 AM

Bashiok had this to tweet re: Kripparian's HC Inferno Diablo completion.

"People think that was the first HC Inferno clear? Weird. Webcams r 2 legit 2 quit. hay HAY"

Professional.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 08:51:23 AM

An employee of a company has a personal life and makes a sarcastic comment about something completely non-important, news at 11.

The only thing he did wrong her was get 2 Legit 2 Quit in my head, what a jerk. In other early 90's related news - Arsenio Hall will have a talk show again coming in Fall of 2013
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 08:53:26 AM

His Twitter feed is not personal, but professional. Unless his real name is Bashiok.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 08:57:09 AM

He's been slowly sliding into madness over the last two years. I can't wait for the moment when he finally cracks on the forums and ragequits. It'll be really funny.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 09:00:15 AM

I think men shouldn't be allowed to do community relations. They just don't have what it takes to survive in such a rugged environment.  why so serious? why so serious?

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 09:14:36 AM

His Twitter feed is not personal, but professional. Unless his real name is Bashiok.

Private or personal account, I don't think it matters (especially at 2am or whatever). He wasn't being rude, simply sarcastic with a reference that dates before the majority of the players catassing to give two shits about the player with the accomplishment in question. Could he have still said congrats? Sure, that's about the only thing missing in Bash's message imo.

Personally, I like community relations persons that don't stick to form letters and engage with the playerbase and can leave the automated responses/comments out of it. I don't think he needs to apologize like some number of crybabies on the official forums are asking for, and don't think he should change that part of his way of doing things.

I think men shouldn't be allowed to do community relations. They just don't have what it takes to survive in such a rugged environment.  why so serious? why so serious?

why so serious?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 09:16:40 AM by Segoris »
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 10:59:16 AM

I would totally agree with you about the 'professional' thing except that his job involves reading Blizzard forums. Give the poor guy a break.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 11:04:32 AM

They've always gone for a more goofy/conversational tone in their forum relations stuff, it seems to work just fine.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 11:06:19 AM

There's a level of professionalism I expect, but being randomly snarky seems fine for gaming PR. Their old web dev dude was way the fuck over the line, but I'm more impressed that the current PR folks haven't just broken down and banned everyone on the forums in a fit of rage yet.
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 11:08:27 AM

Bashiok has always been the height of mediocre and more often idiotic than otherwise. But the "2 legit" AND webcam bits go back to Diablo 1.

In this case, everyone that has posted in this thread thus far about it being unreasonable is just wrong. This is a rare case where was he posted was actually far from the worst thing he could've said and on the right side of things to say.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 11:15:01 AM

He's been slowly sliding into madness over the last two years. I can't wait for the moment when he finally cracks on the forums and ragequits. It'll be really funny.

He is destined to be the next Tseric, but I don't really have a problem with him. I prefer him to most CMs who usually just seem to repeat "thank you for the feedback, we're listening" ad infinitum.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 11:24:17 AM

He is destined to be the next Tseric, but I don't really have a problem with him. I prefer him to most CMs who usually just seem to repeat "thank you for the feedback, we're listening" ad infinitum.

Oh, that douchbag! I stopped following blizz forums after quitting wow...do you know what happend to him?

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 11:27:08 AM

He melted down in a series of increasingly rambly self-hating posts and was fired.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 11:42:34 AM

He melted down in a series of increasingly rambly self-hating posts and was fired.

Oh, well. I take back the douchebag but he wasn't a very good CM. He had a gift - while not technically being rude - to rub people the wrong way. And yes, customers are shitbags. Worked in a callcenter so it's not like I can't related to being yelled at(which makes it a lot more personal) or insulted yet having to stay calm and polite. One of the reasons I quit.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 11:45:13 AM by calapine »

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 11:54:37 AM

Too rugged of an environment for you, was it?  why so serious?

The Tseric ramblings were awesome imo, it was funny to watch people's reactions at times.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 09:37:22 PM

But the "2 legit" AND webcam bits go back to Diablo 1.
Yeah, my first thought when I read that was "damn, that sounds like a reference to Diablo 1 back around '98 or so..."
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 05:16:29 AM

I think bashiok just congratulated Kripp and Krippi on the first HC inferno diablo kill. He menitoned that he read the spreadsheet worng and thought someone else had the world first.
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 05:38:59 AM

He is destined to be the next Tseric
Oh, that douchbag! I stopped following blizz forums after quitting wow...do you know what happend to him?

Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 04:01:08 PM

I worked with Tseric back when I was a GM on WoW. He was a GM with me, and I'd talk to him briefly outside on cigarette breaks. Dude was nice, but always looked totally and completely strung out.

So, I dunno. I'm not completely surprised that happened.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 07:49:20 AM

This is merely one of many unprofessional things he's said. When most of what one posts, as a representative of a company, is sarcastic, I wonder why the hell the guy doesn't go find a new job.

Lylirra, on the other hand, is top rate.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 07:54:16 AM

Its Wow players that whine on the official forum, if it was the same entitled assholes as in the Everquest class forums, I really can't fault him all that much for being sarcastic.

Of course it was unprofessional, but he said not a wrong word in this nervous breakdown of his.
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 01:06:28 PM

This is how you show your customers you care about them.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5889089807
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 01:43:46 PM

He made some post about the attack speed nerf and said "other stats could have been nerfed too (aren't you thankful?)" so now "Aren't you thankful?" is being reposted everywhere like a mini meme.

Also, it seems blizzard just had too many tickets and problems so they have arbitrarily closed everything that they haven't gotten around to answering and telling people that if they still have a problem to... open another ticket.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 01:56:38 PM

Speaking of that, does anyone know how to get ahold of a Guest Pass nowadays?
Apparently, that is still the only way to get a Starter Edition going. That is, without paying for the game first.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, 02:01:05 PM

You have to send in three forms of ID and a utility bill in your name to get a Guest Pass.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #25 on: June 21, 2012, 02:07:57 PM

Speaking of that, does anyone know how to get ahold of a Guest Pass nowadays?
Apparently, that is still the only way to get a Starter Edition going. That is, without paying for the game first.

Or pay $60 to buy the digital copy it seems.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #26 on: June 21, 2012, 04:15:27 PM

What the...? That's just... Facepalm

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: June 22, 2012, 02:08:13 PM

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: June 22, 2012, 02:15:01 PM

Now stickied in the General Forum, entitled Real-Life Threats by Lylirra:

This is a reminder that we take threats made against other players, against our employees, and of self-harm extremely seriously.

We realize that there can be stressful and trying moments in the game or when interacting with others, but there is no acceptable time to go beyond the boundaries of the game and threaten others with real-life harm.

If someone is found to be making a real-life threat, we will report it to the authorities, which could result in real repercussions. To report threatening in-game chat, use the right-click Report > Real-Life Threat option, or for forum posts, use the thumbs-down button and choose "Real-Life Threats."

The Blizzard forums have always been a little crazy but now they're  swamp poop
Feverdream
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: June 23, 2012, 06:52:35 AM

Gaming forums - you all know this - can be enough to send even the most grounded CMs or players right over the freaking edge of sanity.

The Diablo 3 forums tipped over awhile ago.  I'm not saying there aren't reasons for people to be frustrated and pissed.  Just saying that breathing the atmosphere in the forums requires some sort of protective gear =P

From the comment that inspired the first post here to the CM comments linked later in the thread, I'm not seeing anything worth complaining about, and definitely not seeing anything "unprofessional" (though I'd argue that even here it looks like people have varying ideas of what "professional" looks like).

I just know I enjoy forums most when the CMs have the leeway to be human - including use of sarcasm - and aren't required to spout only corporate platitudes.  That may mean that occasionally a CM will post something that bothers more sensitive souls, but it's worth it to keep the forums more interesting and hopefully to help players and CMs develop somewhat more genuine connections.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: June 23, 2012, 07:27:21 AM

The problem with CMs being human and using sarcasm is that it's akin to using lighter fluid to put out a fire. It  not only does nothing to advance civilized behavior on the forums, it just encourages even worse behavior.

If a CM feels it necessary to be snarky and sarcastic in their position as CM, they need to find a new profession; they're burned out. Completely understandable, but snark and sarcasm do nothing positive for the forums, and particularly not from CMs.

Forums can be useful or they can be toxic puddles of hostile goo. It seems to me that Blizzard's forums used to be quite a bit more useful than toxic (back when WoW launched); I could be misremembering, but it seems to me they used a much heavier hand in deleting posts.

Since ActiviBlizzard, it's gotten magnitudes worse.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: June 23, 2012, 10:05:52 AM

Sarcasm is fine in general conversation.  When people are upset (rightly or not), it does fuel the flames as Xan suggests.  When they're erupting, it's time to take a purely serious tone.

Even I tone it down if I realize things are tense.  (Unless I'm trying to provoke a reaction, but then I know I'm being bitchy and accept the consequences.)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #32 on: June 23, 2012, 10:21:25 AM

You get bitchy?  awesome, for real

But yeah, they need to come to terms with the fact that people want their fun back. The next patch needs to have some iteration of barrel hunting back in it at the minimum.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: June 23, 2012, 02:41:40 PM

Gaming forums - you all know this - can be enough to send even the most grounded CMs or players right over the freaking edge of sanity.

I think it's a bit more than that in this case.  Blizzard is used to this from some pretty unpopular patches.  This time around it's like Baishok is more upset by the actual complaints than the amount of vitriol present.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: June 24, 2012, 12:18:31 AM

The problem with CMs being human and using sarcasm is that it's akin to using lighter fluid to put out a fire. It  not only does nothing to advance civilized behavior on the forums, it just encourages even worse behavior.

If a CM feels it necessary to be snarky and sarcastic in their position as CM, they need to find a new profession; they're burned out. Completely understandable, but snark and sarcasm do nothing positive for the forums, and particularly not from CMs.

Forums can be useful or they can be toxic puddles of hostile goo. It seems to me that Blizzard's forums used to be quite a bit more useful than toxic (back when WoW launched); I could be misremembering, but it seems to me they used a much heavier hand in deleting posts.

Since ActiviBlizzard, it's gotten magnitudes worse.

The forums are what they've always been, no better, no worse. Useful threads and topics in the obscure and less trafficked sub forums.

Useless bitching and 'trolling' everywhere else. Triple the amount of crap in any forum where Blues show up regularly.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: Blizzard's Community Relations  
Jump to: