Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:25:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Django Unchained 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Django Unchained  (Read 14516 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

on: June 07, 2012, 06:23:38 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUdM9vrCbow

Dunno, Tarentino's luster wore off awhile ago, but I am a sucker for the 'Ol West setting and Christoph Waltz.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 07:42:00 AM

Decaprio as a southern plantation owner? Has my curiosity.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 10:05:24 AM

Trailer looked better than the Inglorious Bastards trailer. Still won't see it in the theater.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 12:35:50 PM

Decaprio as a southern plantation owner? Has my curiosity.

But does it have your attention?

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 07:23:58 AM

I saw this yesterday and thought it was great.  Decaprio and Christoph Waltz were both fantastic.  Jamie Fox was good but honestly I could have pictured a few others playing that role that would have done just as good or better.  Lots of violence, swearing, VERY liberal use of the "N" word and of course Samuel L. Jackson calling people motherfuckers.  I highly recommend it if you're a Tarantino fan and enjoy this type of movie but be prepared to get comfortable as its 2h 45 min long.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 09:42:59 AM

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 04:54:25 PM

I liked A.O. Scott's comparison to "Lincoln"--pointing out that the cinema of vengeance has never really ever allowed black vengeance against white wrongdoing, just a bunch of white guys kicking ass on whoever's done them wrong. (There's a few weird exceptions, but I think his point is basically right.) So I think I'll see this--I'm curious.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 07:24:15 PM

I liked A.O. Scott's comparison to "Lincoln"--pointing out that the cinema of vengeance has never really ever allowed black vengeance against white wrongdoing, just a bunch of white guys kicking ass on whoever's done them wrong. (There's a few weird exceptions, but I think his point is basically right.) So I think I'll see this--I'm curious.

"The D is silent, hillbilly." Heart
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 08:49:55 PM

Not actually a spoiler, just an awesome gif.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 11:36:12 PM

I didn't want to fuck up people's browsing experience if they didn't want to see it repeatedly.

Sometimes I'm thoughtful like that.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 11:47:29 PM

Wish people would keep that in mind before choosing animated avatars. Oh well, AdBlock to the rescue.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 02:22:01 AM

I keep getting this confused with animated film about the thirsty lizard becoming sheriff of Dirt.

Its not the same thing is it?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 05:21:28 AM

I keep getting this confused with animated film about the thirsty lizard becoming sheriff of Dirt.

Its not the same thing is it?

You are talking about Rango.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 09:24:56 AM

The sequel. Rango Unhinged.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 07:58:46 AM

The fact that drudge and the rest of the right wing media machine hate this movie is reason enough for me to go see it.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 11:05:35 AM

They hate it because people get to say "nigger" in it while they can't and they don't think it's fair. Also, the black guy getting revenge on white people makes them uneasy too. Might give the darkies ideas now that whites are in the minority.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 03:54:27 PM

A bit of shoe polish and they will blend right in.

Hic sunt dracones.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 09:19:28 AM

I really liked this. Not quite as much as Inglorious Basterds, but I still thought it was pretty awesome.

edit: ugh me grammar fail
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 06:53:51 PM by murdoc »

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 03:58:59 PM

The fact that drudge and the rest of the right wing media machine hate this movie is reason enough for me to go see it.

Huh?  Most of the hate is coming from people like Spike Lee, Katt Williams, and a handful of black actors.  I didn't know they were all right wingers. 
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 30, 2012, 06:14:31 PM

Huh?  Most of the hate is coming from people like Spike Lee, Katt Williams, and a handful of black actors.  I didn't know they were all right wingers. 

Katt Williams....lol.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 30, 2012, 09:55:43 PM

I really don't know any of Williams stuff, other than he was in one of the Friday movies and he does stand up.  He's just one of the people I saw jumping on the Spike Lee bandwagon. 

Either way, I was just trying to point out that neither political side is condemning Djanog more than the other. 
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #21 on: December 30, 2012, 10:02:24 PM

Katt Williams....lol.

Didn't he fuck up his career with violent outbursts against his audiences and was last seen doing drug-fueled shoplifting sprees? He was really funny, it's too bad.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012, 01:33:29 AM

I liked this a lot.  I think it will probably take #2 in my Tarantino rankings (after Jackie Brown and above Pulp Fiction/Basterds tie), and there is a lot more going on in this movie than a lot of people (apparently) think.  (Not here, I mean, on the internet/media at large.)

It's easy to miss the plot/character subtleties with some of the silly stuff that happens - I really hem and haw about those things a lot with Tarantino.  'If he would stop doing that he would be a great filmmaker vs. if he stopped doing that he wouldn't be Tarantino' is a debate I have never really decided on.

Particulars:
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012, 09:37:10 AM

Drudge/Breitbart and conservative newspapers have been basically attacking the movie, and frequently quoting Spike Lee (who hasn't made a good movie in over a decade and has a personal beef with Tarantino).

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 06:06:00 PM

I really liked this. Not quite as much as Inglorious Basterds, but thought I still thought it was pretty awesome.

My exact sentiment (without the superfluous word).

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 06:54:11 PM

I really liked this. Not quite as much as Inglorious Basterds, but thought I still thought it was pretty awesome.

My exact sentiment (without the superfluous word).

All my words are superfluous.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 12:27:02 PM

I saw this Sat. night.  I consider it also close to as good as Pulp Fiction, and definitely Tarantino's most impactful film.  To give an idea, just about every showing was sold out where I went and this is the 2nd week out.  So the buzz is on with this one.  Great, great film.  One of those must-sees even if you're not interested.

Anyways, I do somewhat agree about the hip-hop distraction in the film but I thought it had artistic significance so I give it a pass.  There's a reason it was there.  Also, Tarantino does what he likes, and he LOVES hip-hop and music in general. (him and RZA from Wu Tang have a bromance)  I daresay he's the "blackest" caucasian producer/director in Hollywood.  Some would laugh at that, but Quentin would likely also laugh and say "go fuck yourself. So what." (he was raised in mostly black and hispanic schools)

So that in essence is why Spike hates him.  He looks at him like the white boy using urban-ish black entertainment as a pawn.  Spike's an ass though.  And this film had more meaningful impact for black america then all of Spike's angsty shit put together, ironically.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #27 on: January 08, 2013, 02:17:48 AM

I loved Pulp Fiction but haven't really enjoyed anything else by Tarantino as much, Django Unchained has changed that, absolutely brilliant.  I loved the German being the good guy for a change as well.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: January 08, 2013, 05:10:38 AM

I think Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction are the best movies Tarantino has directed (+ he did write the story for Natural Born Killers). Django ranks (imho) around third with some others but clearly below the top two.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: January 12, 2013, 08:33:43 PM

Spike hates this movie because he can never make a movie about a black man butchering scores of dumb white people and make tarantino dollars. There is plenty of black people that hate the Django because they don't believe tarantino should be allowed to say nigga period cause he is white. And there is plenty of black people that think their retarded, me included.

The movie was fun and a bit long on the tooth. It made no one save our star characters look good, a trend that had few exceptions. Which if anyone should find offensive it should be that, but meh get butt hurt over the n word. Can't say I'm big on the ending but hey it was fun ride.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: January 12, 2013, 08:50:34 PM

Dont fall into that trap of "if Quentin was black he wouldn't have made dollars."  That's bullshit.  The problem is African American Hollywood enjoys pandering to pop culture as much as the next douche with money does (singleton, lee, and perry are prime examples).  Quentin could give two shits, which gives him way more freedom to make great films.

Also, fact is there just isnt a decent crop of black directors/producers to begin with in an industry that's already pretty nepotistic against them.  It's lose lose.  So why not just make good films instead of essentially eating on scraps?

Riddle me this... guys like Perry, Lee, and many others in entertainment (diddy and so forth) have enough money to pretty much finance whatever the fuck they want.  But they still feed us shite.  What does this tell you? 

Nah, I dont believe those fools deserve a racial excuse.  They just lack the talent and the ability to separate greed from an artform.  So fuck em I say.  I'll watch the movie color blind.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: January 12, 2013, 09:01:59 PM

swamp poop
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #32 on: January 12, 2013, 09:55:50 PM

I agree with Lamaros.

But just to humor you, I'll take your example of Diddy. Why does he not make amazing shit? He's got no goddamn taste. I've met Spike a few times and he's kinda still stuck in the last century.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #33 on: January 12, 2013, 10:05:09 PM

Are there any well-known filmmakers who are black without being "black filmmakers"?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #34 on: January 13, 2013, 12:18:49 AM

Kinda hard to say as that term is sorta ambiguous, but I'd say:

F. Gary Gray.
Hughes brothers.
Antoine Fuqua

A couple of TV directors whose episodes you've seen a million times but probably have never heard of:

Michael Shultz.
Ivan Dixon (although you probably know him as the cool dude on Hogan's Heroes)

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Django Unchained  
Jump to: