Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:38:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: 35 Years After Star Wars, Effects Whiz Phil Tippett Is Slowly Crafting a Mad God 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 35 Years After Star Wars, Effects Whiz Phil Tippett Is Slowly Crafting a Mad God  (Read 2643 times)
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

on: May 24, 2012, 12:24:05 PM

Nice article about one of the most important people in film production... someone whom most people don't know by name.

BERKELEY, California — In a warehouse space in a picturesque neighborhood here, Phil Tippett, the Oscar-winning visual effects genius who has worked on everything from Star Wars to the wolf pack in the Twilight films, is toiling away on a passion project that he may never see completed.
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/05/phil-tippett-feature/

tl;dr version: Here's the kickstarter page for his project: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madgod/phil-tippetts-mad-god
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 12:39:52 PM by sickrubik »

beer geek.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 12:28:47 PM

Awesome.  I fucking love Phil Tippett, thanks so much for sharing.

When he goes, the last of the great masters of physical effects will be gone and we'll be stuck with CGI forever after.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 12:44:59 PM

Ya, one of the things that pisses me off about Lucas is how his redos erase some of the amazing work of the people who did stuff on the originals.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 12:54:03 PM

Ya, one of the things that pisses me off about Lucas is how his redos erase some of the amazing work of the people who did stuff on the originals.
He's not the only one who has pulled that kind of thing: http://www.amazon.com/Blizzard-Ozz-Ozzy-Osbourne/dp/B000063DFT
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 01:16:02 PM

At least they were put back in the 2011 30th anniversary reissue.  But ya, Sharon sucks.  She also just kicked Eddie Trunk off of his Sirius channel based on some grudge.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 08:27:34 PM

But ya, Sharon sucks.  She also just kicked Eddie Trunk off of his Sirius channel based on some grudge.
Telling it like it is tends to piss people off who dislike hearing anything bad about themselves...
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 12:53:49 AM

Haha, wow, I worked literally a block away from that place for almost 2 and a half years.  So much random weird shit going on in that post industrial part of Berkeley.  You have no idea whats going on around you just walking a few blocks in any direction (I was at a software company).  Not joking, I use to buy a 24 of some random beer from the local liquor store and sit on steps under a tree right next to that place drinking during lunch hour on particularly bad/reflective days.  Never was able to figure what the fuck it was for, though it looked pretty fancy.

So.  Damn.  Weird.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: 35 Years After Star Wars, Effects Whiz Phil Tippett Is Slowly Crafting a Mad God  
Jump to: