Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:11:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: Monster Affixes and How You Deal With Them 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Monster Affixes and How You Deal With Them  (Read 18204 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #35 on: June 04, 2012, 03:22:11 AM

I don't even bother hitting goblins anymore in Hell. No way can I get them down quick enough before they port out with 1/8 hp...which then leaves me with an angry mob of everything in the zone. It hurts me, but I ignore them now.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: June 04, 2012, 04:40:26 AM

Just ran into my new favourite combination on Nightmare Difficulty on my Wizard:  Arcane Enchanted Mortar Mele Mobs.  I can only Imagine the possible pain on Hell if you got Arcane Enchanted Mortar Jailor or Arcane Enchanted Mortar Vortex on a naturally fast mele critter.   Adding another for inferno just makes me die a little inside.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #37 on: June 04, 2012, 04:44:53 AM

I don't even bother hitting goblins anymore in Hell. No way can I get them down quick enough before they port out with 1/8 hp...which then leaves me with an angry mob of everything in the zone. It hurts me, but I ignore them now.  why so serious?

Never.

God Save the Horn Players
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #38 on: June 04, 2012, 04:53:40 AM

If you watch your AOEs or just pull the mobs around them backwards the goblins will just sit there and ignore you.  They don't aggro like normal monsters so you can clear an area THEN deal with them.  I thought everyone knew that.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #39 on: June 04, 2012, 05:44:51 AM

My companion likes to aggro them, which means I get to tear off after them while ignoring everyone else. :P

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #40 on: June 04, 2012, 06:58:57 AM

If you watch your AOEs or just pull the mobs around them backwards the goblins will just sit there and ignore you.  They don't aggro like normal monsters so you can clear an area THEN deal with them.  I thought everyone knew that.

I don't have the patience to clear the whole zone before I play chase the chicken. If the goblin is at the end of a hall or in a smaller space... sure, I'll have a go, but they are normally for me, found near a pack of mobs and like Sjofn says, Lyndon likes to play duck hunt with anything in range.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #41 on: June 04, 2012, 11:05:04 AM

I always chase. Always always. It helps that my pets often clog them up so they can't run though.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #42 on: June 04, 2012, 11:11:45 AM

Nightmare is fairly easy overall but WOW are those tongue lashing guys in the keep areas in Act 3 are nasty when they've got obnoxious properties.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:15:16 AM by Fabricated »

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: June 04, 2012, 11:16:32 AM

Jailer Heralds of Pestilence.

That is all. ><
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: June 04, 2012, 11:17:56 AM

I am pretty sure those are my least favorite monsters in the game WITHOUT affixes.

Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: June 04, 2012, 12:12:31 PM

I used to feel like I was kiting, in fact I will just go with that vs say running my ass off to not get bombf*cked and pray my hydra / blizzard combos will take them out over time.  Its kind of sad that my winning strategy is basically keep the mob completely off my screen if I want to win. 
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: June 04, 2012, 12:57:48 PM

Its kind of sad that my winning strategy is basically keep the mob completely off my screen if I want to win. 

After Nightmare I started to feel this pretty seriously on my barbarian... I've lost that loving feeling for D3 as a result. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: June 04, 2012, 01:12:27 PM

You guys are just not grinding the earlier acts / difficulty levels enough. why so serious?

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: June 04, 2012, 01:34:55 PM

I'm in Act 3 Hell and using a weapon that dropped for me. The only reason I'm not using all drops is I wanted to test a very specific thing where I stacked thorns up to a crazy level so I hit the AH for that. I have gotten plenty of usable drops if I was going for a less silly build though - I honestly am not seeing the drop upgrade problem at all post-Normal (and pre-Inferno). I'm also not feeling the need to kite much except for particular crazy affix combos - that could just be a pet class thing though.

There are sample size issues on both sides of the argument, of course.

Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: June 04, 2012, 02:24:01 PM

Hit my first enrage timers last night.

Mortar Vampiric Arcane Plagued in Wortham, the three that spawn right before you go into the church - where you have to kill them in order to advance the quest line  Ohhhhh, I see.  After running around the loop long enough in the village they finally went down.  I love how the enrage just kills you remotely with a damage over time effect.  Venom Hydra, 2kdps follower, 20k personal dps and one full item durability of deaths.

Second enrage was Fast Mortar Vampiric Fire Chain skeletons, hit the enrage while trying to get them far enough off the spawnpoint so they wouldn't agro anymore.  Just avoided them henceforth, attempts to deal damage were comical.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: June 04, 2012, 02:33:47 PM

Enrage timers on the champ packs is pretty WTF, I have to say. I can see it on bosses, I guess, but random out in the game world stuff?

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #51 on: June 04, 2012, 02:37:19 PM

I will say that after doing Act 1 stuff up to the Butcher in Inferno, the fact they have shifted basically all the difficulty to the trash packs is mind-bogglingly stupid.

Bosses need a buff, the elite packs need a nerf. I know part of what they wanted from the game was to keep people from farming bosses, but it really throws a monkey wrench into the spokes when I'm running away from a glowing pack of Bees, but I'm kicking the Skeleton Kings ass by standing there.

Oh and I can't beat the Butcher because I'm tanked up, but he has an enrage timer.  Ohhhhh, I see.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #52 on: June 04, 2012, 03:14:17 PM

Enrage timers in D3 are just fucking retarded. I don't mind them hugely in WoW, but in Diablo 3? Fuck that.

I seriously doubt I am going to do inferno at all. It sounds aggressively unfun.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #53 on: June 04, 2012, 03:21:22 PM

I don't plan on it until they retune it down to something reasonable.  Hell is stretching it for me with some of the combinations I've ran into.  My WD pet build was rendered useless before I even got to Leoric.

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #54 on: June 04, 2012, 03:23:23 PM

I've died so many times in Inferno with my DH buddy it's lost all meaning. We'll simply try to pull tougher groups back to spawn points so we can zerg from death spam.

It's not aggressively UNFUN, but most of the fun comes from the comedy of working with someone else on vent and going, "OH FOR FUCKS SAKE INVULNERABLE MINIONS, COME ON. NOPE, NOPE, NOPE I'M DONE. THAT'S IT. FUCKING DONE."

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: June 04, 2012, 03:25:05 PM

Yeah my plan is to treat Hell Diablo as basically 'game done!' Which honestly is farther than I ever got in D2 anyway. Inferno is obviously not for everybody, but I don't think it needs to be.

Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: June 04, 2012, 04:05:21 PM

I just view starting a new game to get away from annoying champion packs as the culmination of my superior kiting technique.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #57 on: June 04, 2012, 04:10:35 PM

Ha!

Yes, I was so amused by your post, I needed to post just that in response.

Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #58 on: June 04, 2012, 05:09:05 PM

I've died so many times in Inferno with my DH buddy it's lost all meaning. We'll simply try to pull tougher groups back to spawn points so we can zerg from death spam.

It's not aggressively UNFUN, but most of the fun comes from the comedy of working with someone else on vent and going, "OH FOR FUCKS SAKE INVULNERABLE MINIONS, COME ON. NOPE, NOPE, NOPE I'M DONE. THAT'S IT. FUCKING DONE."

I have to agree with Paelos, the game is stupid and retarded in many ways in Inferno, but playing with your friends just washes away a lot of the pain when you laugh at them dying and then they lure more Elites as revenge.

Actually I realise now Diablo3 has a lot more with Eve than D2... Crazy player market, mathdps, fuckton of grinding and bad network issues...  awesome, for real  ACK!
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: June 04, 2012, 05:39:28 PM

Inferno seems entirely unfun. I may try and beat act 1 for laughs.. but beyond that Act 3 Hell seems like the top level of fun for me (dislike act 4, thematically)

Calapine can attest that I use smoke screen to occasionally say Nope to elite packs. I did find that you can bug out invuln minions by kiting the boss far enough from his pals then killing him. You wind up with random perma invuln minions scattered around the map who didn't die with their friends <3
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: June 04, 2012, 06:37:04 PM

Well, I just discovered a new Affix I had never seen before: Missile Suppressing

Makes me glad i was on my monk, and not my DH.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: June 04, 2012, 07:03:36 PM

Missile Suppression is pretty hilarious with something like Ball Lightning or Nether Tentacles.  The projectiles basically stand still in the field and you bait the mob to move into the 7-8 that stack up.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #62 on: June 04, 2012, 07:11:46 PM

Well, I just discovered a new Affix I had never seen before: Missile Suppressing

I ran into that on my DH. I believe my reaction was: "WHAT?!"

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: June 04, 2012, 07:54:15 PM

Yeah my plan is to treat Hell Diablo as basically 'game done!' Which honestly is farther than I ever got in D2 anyway. Inferno is obviously not for everybody, but I don't think it needs to be.

Inferno Act I isn't horrible. Act II is.

It doesn't help that gear for Inferno costs a ridiculous amount of gold per item. One thing would cost magnitudes of hours of farming in comparison to upgrading in Hell. I don't understand how there can be so many pages of Inferno gear for sale at ridiculously high prices. I've completed Act I Inferno on monk a couple of times, but stuck on the Spider Queen on WD. I need better gear for each but frankly I'm waiting for changes - either the prices to drop on gear or a change in horrible elite packs.

I have found a couple of nice things in Inferno, but for sale, not for use. Nothing for 60.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: June 04, 2012, 10:00:54 PM

It's actually a free kill affix, like Illusionist. Most Wizard abilities aren't impacted, and the DH's two primary attacks (ball lightning and nether tentacles) get slowed down and thus cause extra hits.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: June 05, 2012, 09:43:28 AM

Just started Hell and the first cellar I go into in ACT I has a bubba the redneck zombie unique in it with 3 immune to damage minions.  Not sure how a squishy wiz is supposed to kill that shit in one of the smallest rooms in the game.  I suppose eventually my DPS will be high enough to disintigrate his ass before I run out of health and diamond skin.  Maybe it is time to ditch the magic find gear.  I was thinking of stacking attack speed and damage.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: June 05, 2012, 10:38:56 AM

Edit: Moved inferno talk to the inferno thread. Apparently there is one.

I've hit a few enrage timers so far but they aren't quite "game over" states I expected them to be. Elite pack enrages seem manageable if you've taken out some of the pack before they enrage. If you die, at least the dead ones stay dead. Boss enrages (I've only seen butchers) are more serious, but if a boss has lived that long you're doing something wrong. Typically with my group this meant that dps had been dead for most of the fight, and we were unable to rez them. That said, it's also not an instant wipe.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 01:23:34 PM by Rokal »
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: June 07, 2012, 02:16:41 PM

Last night I had (in Hell obviously):

Shielding-desecrator-jailer on a pack of heralds of pestilence.

/wrists

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: June 07, 2012, 07:25:53 PM

Molten Immune Fast Knockback Champions on Act II Inferno pretty much were close to impossible with my WD. Took me 30 minutes.
Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: June 07, 2012, 10:57:22 PM

About 95% of the time when I get Invulnerable Minions I park them in some out-of-the-way spot and move on.  Not worth it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: Monster Affixes and How You Deal With Them  
Jump to: