Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:15:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: Losing Progress Sucks 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Losing Progress Sucks  (Read 5647 times)
ShenMolo
Terracotta Army

on: May 18, 2012, 10:58:26 AM

The game save feature seems messed up or maybe I'm doing it wrong.

When I am soloing, then switching to Public games, I lose a lot of progress. Then if I quit the public game (even if I quit immediately) my solo game has regressed to the point of the public game.

Case in point:

Act 1...kill the Spider Queen. After killing her solo (or grouped)...I make it all the way through the Khazra Highlands/Barricade/Staff quests and all the way through Leoric's Manor to the Butcher. Now, leaving the game before the Butcher (on solo) and switching to Public in the hopes of getting a group for the Butcher, it tosses me all the way back to before the spider queen... literally 1-2 hours of game play back.

When I try to go back to solo to pick up where my solo game left off, I am back all the way at the Spider Queen dungeon where my last Public game was.

This has happened twice and sucks ass.
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 11:00:07 AM

If you click the Switch Quest button does it let you go back to The Butcher from there?

most often known as Drevik
ShenMolo
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 11:02:07 AM

It takes me back to Khazra barricade, which is better than before the spider queen, but is still a good ways back.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 11:09:20 AM

It is a known feature. 

PRO-TIP- just open your current game to public and let others reset their progress!

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 11:14:54 AM

I haven't played public, but my method to avoid this sort of thing in games-with-friends is to either just be the host, or join games where I'm ahead of the player on the quests.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 11:47:49 AM

Are you completing quest chains and hitting the checkpoints?

Joining a public game will take you to whatever checkpoint they're at for the quest you choose, whether that's before or after your single-game progress.  You are then saved there.

If you switch quests at any point and leave game before hitting a checkpoint you wind-up at the start of that quest when next you login.

If you continue a game at a saved check point and then make it public, whoever joins will be dragged to where you -the game creator- are in the story.

The only way to consistently progress and keep the same saved points is to do everything solo or always be the guy who starts the public game.

Is that what you're experiencing?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 11:53:15 AM

Is it actually intended to work that way? Because it sounds like something that would put most people off from grouping.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 11:54:28 AM

I beat the Skelly king, then bought the game, and it put me back at the beginning.  I was not happy.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 11:55:16 AM

Is it actually intended to work that way? Because it sounds like something that would put most people off from grouping.

Not in the long term, it won't. It may put a few people off in the short term until they've seen the story (such as it is) once.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 11:55:59 AM

Oh right. That makes sense.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 12:02:03 PM

Linear quest progression in a drop in-drop out game is not smart.
They should let you complete quests and checkpoints and waypoints out of order. Who gives a fuck? In the long run, we'll see it all eventually.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 12:19:59 PM

Linear quest progression in a drop in-drop out game is not smart.
They should let you complete quests and checkpoints and waypoints out of order. Who gives a fuck? In the long run, we'll see it all eventually.

They do -- I have a gap in Act II on my Wizard of like a chapter and a half that I need to go back and finish sometime.

I think the problem is, depending on exactly when you leave your personal game for another game relative to the checkpointing, you can end up getting set further back in a chapter than you originally were.

I've never lost a huge amount of progress, but it is annoying -- feels like they don't quite have fine enough grained state tracking for this stuff...
ShenMolo
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 12:29:24 PM

I like joining public games though, so what is the best way to do it without losing progress?

Only join a public game at the beginning of a new chapter?

When I was sucked backwards in the quest chains, I had been completing quests and checkpoints.

Is there something that tells you "You have gotten to a new save spot for your next public game, you will only be placed in public games at this point or ahead"?

EDIT: I should have said I like joining public games as well as hosting them, since it gets me right to the group action.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 12:33:39 PM by ShenMolo »
WayAbvPar

Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 12:51:59 PM

Maybe try to keep track of exactly where in the quest chain you are before you go? It is tough. I am trying to see the content linearly with one character, but accidentally joined a game instead of chatting last night when I was trying to talk to Engels  Ohhhhh, I see. Hoping my buddy didn't do something equally stupid so I can join on him for our next session.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 12:56:43 PM

Yeah I wound up missing the first cinematic because it was all YOU'VE BEEN TO ACT 2 ON THIS CHARACTER LOL because I popped into proudft's game to get something from him, so I had no idea what was going on with a certain dude at first.  swamp poop

God Save the Horn Players
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 01:05:04 PM

I made sure to join a game at almost the exact objective where I was only to have someone click through all of the quest text. I guess I'll have to wait until I'm done with Normal or make sure I'm only redoing quests.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 01:19:27 PM

Is there something that tells you "You have gotten to a new save spot for your next public game, you will only be placed in public games at this point or ahead"?

Yes, quest completion.  Until the quest is fully completed and you move on to the next quest you risk losing progress by joining a public game.

You can see what act, difficulty and quest your friends are on in the friend's list.  So what I've been doing is joining F13's who are on or around the same place I am in the story.  If I skip a bit, no big deal I can make it up later.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 06:44:31 PM

Or look when they are RIGHT about to hit Diablo and sneak in.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: Losing Progress Sucks  
Jump to: