Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:22:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Shiver me timbers! Koboshi pillages Puzzle Pirates! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shiver me timbers! Koboshi pillages Puzzle Pirates!  (Read 8581 times)
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

on: February 17, 2005, 06:20:10 PM

Koboshi has submitted a review for us of his recent experiences in Puzzle Pirates.

Arrrrggghhhh! Linkage!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 07:25:57 PM

My Valentine's Day gift to my girlfriend was a Puzzle Pirates subscription for each of us - we've been playing on and off for the past couple of weeks on the free trial version.  It's the first multiplayer game I've found that she likes, meaning it's the first PC game I've found EVAR that we can actually play together.  That right there makes it a winner.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 06:26:48 AM

It's so cutesy it makes me laugh, but I think it looks like a lot of fun. Someone please explain the dynamics of the drinking puzzle to me, I can't get many answers on that.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 07:10:07 AM

It's one of those games I would dearly love to play, except I've just never really enjoyed puzzle games much. I prefer to suck at twitch games. :)

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 01:17:48 PM

It's so cutesy it makes me laugh, but I think it looks like a lot of fun. Someone please explain the dynamics of the drinking puzzle to me, I can't get many answers on that.

It's exacty like Alchemy.  The only difference is that it's multiplayer, so the goal isn't clearing the board, it's making sure that you're the one who gets the most points in the process.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 01:48:02 PM

I've been playing this game fairly steadily since subscribing, and I've only now found my way into the commodities market interface.  It is brilliant.  All the drudge work of comparison shopping and running a store (what SWG merchants refer to as "gameplay") has been eliminated or automated, allowing players of the economic game to easily focus on the big picture, and to manage their business without being logged in constantly.

Admittedly, I only saw a small corner of it, which was the process of supplying one's ship with rum.  There's no walking from store to store seeing who has rum in stock, looking for the best price, walking back to the lowest-priced store only to find that they've sold out or that their rum is inferior... none of that.  You sit on your ship, click on the hold, and click "Trade Commodities".  A list of every commodity available on the island is at your fingertips.  You don't care about most of them, so you hit the filter for "ship supplies", and it shows you the two things that your ship needs - rum and cannonballs.  About twenty shops are listed there.  You hit "sort by sell price", and it shows you all the shops that sell fine rum, what their asking price is, and how much they're willing to sell at that price.  You say how much you want, and the exchange is done.  No getting gypped because you didn't spend an hour walking all over the island, no annoying inventory management.

Puzzle Pirates continues to surprise me with how they by all appearances started with complex, involving systems and then ruthlessly excised every part that wasn't fun, leaving behind nothing but good game.

</fanboi>

Hanzii
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 02:01:44 AM

I've been playing this game fairly steadily since subscribing, and I've only now found my way into the commodities market interface.  It is brilliant.  All the drudge work of comparison shopping and running a store (what SWG merchants refer to as "gameplay") has been eliminated or automated, allowing players of the economic game to easily focus on the big picture, and to manage their business without being logged in constantly.
</fanboi>

While I don't know all the details about how it works now - I have the lifetime subscribtion but plays WoW - this is what I found as well. The last 4-6 months of beta I hardly sailed, I just built and sold ships and slowly became a millionaire. And it was fun, goddammit.
The best economy in any mmog from my limited experience. Everything was player made - there was no loot. Or rather loot was stuff that the player driven economy used and resold.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to discuss this more with you, but I'm not allowed to post in Politics anymore.

Bruce
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 04:03:46 PM

Apparently if you play Puzzle Pirates for too long, you'll get this message (never seen it myself):

The only way it could be better would be if it included something about a poopsock.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #8 on: March 29, 2005, 06:39:01 AM

Ah the poopsock. The mythical last gateway for the catass gamer. We should start a Jeff Foxworthy type thread. You might be a catass if...

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9 on: March 29, 2005, 08:13:48 AM

I prefer to suck at twitch games.
See you on the battlefield server, then? :)

/whore
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 10:35:07 PM

I signed on for a free trial today! Yeah, I know, bigtime necropost, but I just wanted to let people know that this is fun. You get a free month and you never have to put a Credit Card into the system. That's...awesome. I'm going to pay these guys something even if I don't go past the first month because the game deserves it. Try it out if you haven't yet.

And I ran into Yegolev on my first day. Go figure, I'd find somebody from F13 in game.

schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 10:37:15 PM

Yea, happens. In nearly every online game I've played, lurkers or posters from f13 have found me without saying anything on the boards. It's neat stuff.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #12 on: August 12, 2005, 06:15:56 AM

I play as Sinkhole on Viridian.
Viridian is always free.

"Me am play gods"
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13 on: August 12, 2005, 07:20:39 AM

And I ran into Yegolev on my first day. Go figure, I'd find somebody from F13 in game.

I signed up for the free trial yesterday.  The funny thing is that I normally don't use my "real" handle right off in a game, in case I don't like it.  Boarding a random ship and seeing Paelos... weird.

You are scaring me, man.  We need to meet up for lunch.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #14 on: August 12, 2005, 09:06:43 AM

Yep, I'm e-stalking people now.  :-D

Not really, it's freakishly coincidental. If anybody sees a Paelos in-game, it's almost 100% guaranteed its me. I'm the only one in WoW, so that says something about the originality of the name.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #15 on: August 13, 2005, 04:14:21 PM

I should have mentioned that I subscribed.  Yarrr.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #16 on: August 13, 2005, 04:49:38 PM

I subscribed back in February.  Haven't played in a month or two what with various other games sucking up my time, but I don't really mind giving the Ringers my $10 a month regardless.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #17 on: August 16, 2005, 07:27:57 PM

I've puzzled my ass off for about 4 days now. I have a new sword, a Legendary ranking in sailing, and a high position on a crew. This is the least grindy game I've played, and you get to pillage! YAR!

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #18 on: August 18, 2005, 08:27:05 PM

I've puzzled my ass off for about 4 days now. I have a new sword, a Legendary ranking in sailing, and a high position on a crew. This is the least grindy game I've played, and you get to pillage! YAR!

I am working three jobs since I'm mostly just good at alchemy.  Sailing sounds fun until I realize it's nothing but half-ass bilge-pumping for me.  Man, I suck even at Puzzle Pirates. =)

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #19 on: August 19, 2005, 06:58:24 AM

Since the is no PP board, they fixed all that crazy "slow loading" lag in a patch last night.
It's pretty smooth, that was really getting fustrating.

"Me am play gods"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Shiver me timbers! Koboshi pillages Puzzle Pirates!  
Jump to: