Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:18:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: The cash shop and ominous math. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The cash shop and ominous math.  (Read 24646 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: April 30, 2012, 08:24:10 PM

Some people enjoy playing games with more than one group and don't like being forced to stick to a single server?

Another math question. And one know what class/weapon has the longest ranged ability?

You can guest on other servers if you want.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: April 30, 2012, 11:47:33 PM

They do some fairly cool things to mitigate the need for on character storage.  You can list an item on the AH from anywhere in the world by right clicking it and choosing sell on the trading post, you can also right click on crafting materials and send them to your vault and finally there is the option to email an item to another player.  

Plus even a newbie leatherworker, armorsmith or whatever the bowcrafter was called can make 8 slot bags without having to do anything but train the skill. filling all the bag slots with 8 slot bags is more than enough for me to start with especially being able to teleport all the craft materials to the bank. Now they just need to let you craft from the bank like all the other mmo's that came out this decade.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: April 30, 2012, 11:49:37 PM

Some people enjoy playing games with more than one group and don't like being forced to stick to a single server?

Another math question. And one know what class/weapon has the longest ranged ability?

You can't WvWvW on other servers.

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: April 30, 2012, 11:51:29 PM

I can't remember the exact details but I saw 5 different types of Runes of Holding on an NPC merchant (most likely the tailoring supplier or something) that are used in the crafting of bags. The first grade was for 8 slot bags and I think the final one was something like 18-20.

No 8 slot bags dont use runes of holding. I made a ton of bags, boxes and leather sacks this weekend and never bought one.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: April 30, 2012, 11:55:21 PM

You can if you pay to transfer.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: May 01, 2012, 12:46:33 AM

You can if you pay to transfer.

I'm just saying if you have two groups you like to hang out with. Perhaps you are in the US and you like to play with some European friends and late at night you like to play with some Australian friends. Unless by some chance they are both on the same server you will need two accounts. My understanding was you can only switch every two weeks or something. I understand Arenanet's reasoning for this, and think it's a good idea. It does have one drawback for people that have multiple gaming groups.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: May 01, 2012, 01:06:07 AM

Eh, I'm a Euro who plays MMOs with Americans (international guild) and GW2's solution is better than I've seen in any other mmo other than GW1*. Remember that guesting is free and you can do it any time you want.

In wow/coh/lotro/etc I'd need to pay big $$$ for a server transfer to a Euro server if I wanted to get groups -- and then I'd be unable to play with my guildies with that character. In GW2 I can play wvw and group with my guildies on the US server, and switch over to a Euro server to play structured pvp / do group stuff / world events with more people and a far better ping... and do this all with the same character(s)! The ping issue itself is pretty huge, ask me what it's like to play a melee class on a west coast WOW server sometime.  ACK!

*not entirely true -- at GW1 launch you were restricted to five such moves per account total. I ended up just staying in the US region and enduring the bad ping until they lifted the restriction a few years later.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 01:12:59 AM by Zetor »

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: May 01, 2012, 02:50:33 AM

It's pretty much an inevitable side effect of server versus server PvP. They don't want people gaming the system through mass-migration.

I don't see it as an issue if guesting works since the only meaning of my "home" server is who I represent on the Eternal battlefield and that will be my main guild. The ability to visit another server if I have friends elsewhere is a great bonus.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: May 01, 2012, 04:37:58 AM

I can't remember the exact details but I saw 5 different types of Runes of Holding on an NPC merchant (most likely the tailoring supplier or something) that are used in the crafting of bags. The first grade was for 8 slot bags and I think the final one was something like 18-20.
No 8 slot bags dont use runes of holding. I made a ton of bags, boxes and leather sacks this weekend and never bought one.
That's odd. A quick google turned up these which is what I saw in-game. Maybe they've removed them from the crafting process but forgot to take them of the vendors. Out of date tool-tip as Kageru pointed out.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 05:30:43 AM by Tyrnan »
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: May 01, 2012, 05:05:03 AM

The tool-tip appears to be out of date. It's used in the 10 slot bag recipes if you click on it. Is that a cash-shop item?

Crafting recipes seem to require a vendor purchased component as part of construction to make producing items a cash sink. Or at least the 8 slot meta boxes I made did.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: May 01, 2012, 05:23:17 AM

Pretty sure longbow Ranger is the longest range class/weapon combo in the game. You can increase range through traits, too.
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: May 01, 2012, 05:29:38 AM

The tool-tip appears to be out of date. It's used in the 10 slot bag recipes if you click on it. Is that a cash-shop item?

Crafting recipes seem to require a vendor purchased component as part of construction to make producing items a cash sink. Or at least the 8 slot meta boxes I made did.
No, it was from a vendor in Divinity's Reach, probably one of the ones in the crafting area. I hadn't actually looked at the recipes (I think the sleep deprivation from the weekend still hasn't quite gone away) but you're right, it's just a tool-tip error. I like that you can craft different bags for different types of loot, should give a bit more longevity to bag selling than the one-bag-fits-all approach.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: May 01, 2012, 03:17:27 PM

The only thing I purchased for the boxes I made was tin to create bronze which I think all the low level armorsmith recipes use.
Leather and cloth bags require no purchased material iirc. However cloth and leather armor did use thread, a purchased item.

However from my friend's experience with Cooking it's gonna be a huge cash/karma sink.

If anyone in closed beta could feedback that recipes need to state their profession I'd appreciate it. Also karma vendors should refund karma not buy items for piddley amounts of copper when you misbuy, linking from vendor inventory, a sell all grey items button and crafting from the bank would be nice.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 03:24:00 PM by Phred »
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: May 02, 2012, 07:59:52 AM

However from my friend's experience with Cooking it's gonna be a huge cash/karma sink.
When you pick up cooking the trainer specifically says it is the most costly profession.

If anyone in closed beta could feedback that recipes need to state their profession I'd appreciate it.
Rumor has it that closed beta is still under NDA.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: May 02, 2012, 08:24:32 AM

When you pick up cooking the trainer specifically says it is the most costly profession.

He isn't kidding either, I didn't realize how much money I'd dumped into until I had to buy my first skill book.  I had all of 30 copper to my name.  Next BW I'll just do the gathering thing till at least level 15 then start on cooking (been hooked on cooking in MMOs since UO) when I have a little cash and karma built up.  Might try some other professions as well just for the heck of it.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: May 02, 2012, 08:40:04 AM

Think he's asking if anyone in closed could suggest/feedback to ANet through their closed beta feedback.

Though, Phred, I think their forums are still up. You can go make suggestions on the forums if you were in the BWE if they are in fact still available.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: May 02, 2012, 09:02:06 AM

Think he's asking if anyone in closed could suggest/feedback to ANet through their closed beta feedback.

Though, Phred, I think their forums are still up. You can go make suggestions on the forums if you were in the BWE if they are in fact still available.

They are closed to posting now, or at least they said yesterday that they would be closed at 9am pacific time.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: May 02, 2012, 09:35:56 AM

My bad.  Work is a wee bit crazy right now.  My reading comprehension is spotty.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: May 02, 2012, 05:08:02 PM

My bad.  Work is a wee bit crazy right now.  My reading comprehension is spotty.

I guess I didn't word it clearly enough. Sorry.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: May 02, 2012, 06:54:27 PM

I think the biggest cash shop is going to be people that buy another copy of the game to WvWvW on multiple worlds.

I don't see why you'd do such a thing?

This happened often in DAoC back when you could only play one realm on a given server.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: May 02, 2012, 07:06:48 PM

I think the biggest cash shop is going to be people that buy another copy of the game to WvWvW on multiple worlds.

I don't see why you'd do such a thing?

This happened often in DAoC back when you could only play one realm on a given server.

It happened often in DAoC mostly because of buffbots, which thankfully don't seem to exist in MMOs anymore.

Over and out.
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: May 02, 2012, 08:18:09 PM

True, but while the same Midgard on your server would always be your Hib enemy, your opponent servers will change every few weeks.

Besides buying the game, you will have to pay for a server transfer every 2 weeks to spy on any enemies relevant to your main account, yes?

Edit: Maybe that's their plan, thinking the hard core will pony that up like a sub fee.

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: May 03, 2012, 03:06:08 AM

It happened often in DAoC mostly because of buffbots, which thankfully don't seem to exist in MMOs anymore.

It's almost as if every other MMO developer since 2004 has realised that letting your subscribers flagrantly cheat each other is both a poor game model and bad business.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: May 22, 2012, 02:04:29 PM

Mike O'Brien from Arenanet  talks about microtrans here http://venturebeat.com/2012/05/21/guild-wars-2-interview-monetization/#s:guildwars2-16

This seems to sum up their philosophy

GB: Trading items for gold might be less of an issue for team PvP — where all players get bumped to 80 with standardized gear — but what of the implications for world-versus-world?

O’Brien: Before even answering this question, I want to point out that in Guild Wars 2, being competitive isn’t all about having the best gear. It’s not like you’re going to go into world-versus-world and get smoked because someone else has a godly weapon that you can’t hope to acquire. We’ve always been against that kind of thing.

Here’s what we believe: If someone wants to play for a thousand hours to get an item that is so rare that other players can’t realistically acquire it, that rare item should be differentiated by its visual appearance and rarity alone, not by being more powerful than everything else in the game. Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.

So once you realize that you don’t have to run on this gear treadmill to compete, then ask yourself whether you think it’s fair or unfair for players to be able to trade microtransaction currency with other players, which essentially allows some players to trade money for time and other players to trade time for money. I think it’s more fair to allow that.

I think that a super-fan of Guild Wars 2 who is short on cash should still have the ability to collect microtransaction items like town clothes and mini-pets. And I think that a Guild Wars 2 player who comes home late from work every night and can’t spend as much time playing as his friends do should also have the ability to collect those really unique in-game items. Letting players trade with each other empowers them to use whatever they have to make up for whatever they don’t have.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: June 17, 2012, 10:11:35 AM

I'm going to just stick this update here, after BWE2 there is much less of a problem thanks to all crafting materials (not just the common ones) having a separate spot in the bank that doesn't take up slots.  A player will likely still need to buy at least a couple of bank slot upgrades, as 30 slots for all of your characters is very much on the slim side, but it's not nearly so dire as before.  Also, being able to teleport blue crafting items out of your pack into the bank frees up a lot of pressure from your bag space, making it less necessary to max out each character's bag slots if you make or buy bigger bags.

I think that many people will still find it eventually mandatory to max their bank slots, if the bank creep in other MMOs is anything to go by, but it should be possible to get by without bag slot upgrades as long as one's at least a little careful to keep an eye on their inventory.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #60 on: June 19, 2012, 01:07:13 PM

Going back to Tmon's link, finally got around to reading it and:
everyone can harvest resource nodes and get the rewards in the world together, rather than racing other people to them who might steal it from you
Is something I've been wanting since UO and nobody has delivered. Scott H had at one point promised it for Rift, and then there I am fighting the Ibis dude in newbie land on top of a resource node when someone comes along and grabs it.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: June 19, 2012, 01:22:36 PM

Going back to Tmon's link, finally got around to reading it and:
everyone can harvest resource nodes and get the rewards in the world together, rather than racing other people to them who might steal it from you
Is something I've been wanting since UO and nobody has delivered. Scott H had at one point promised it for Rift, and then there I am fighting the Ibis dude in newbie land on top of a resource node when someone comes along and grabs it.

It doesnt quite work like that. The first person who harvests opens a time window and anyone arriving within that window can harvest. Then the node goes dead. Still pretty sweet though.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: June 19, 2012, 01:24:12 PM

TERA does that for group members.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: June 19, 2012, 01:30:52 PM

TERA does that for group members.

Shame they stopped at group. I find myself getting really annoyed now at MMO's I check out that don't share things between
non-group members.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: The cash shop and ominous math.  
Jump to: