Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:58:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: You-Know-Who Rides Again 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: You-Know-Who Rides Again  (Read 5801 times)
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

on: April 17, 2012, 01:09:34 PM

He who must not be named wrote a dev blog recently for his MMO, twenty paragraphs of alternately pointing out how awesome he is and how much of a poopy-head David Allen is is the set up for a single sentence about the actual game. The expansion pack is delayed.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 01:16:40 PM

Just imagine what almost a million dollars (on two lawsuits) not spent in legal costs would have done for this company and the Alganon game in terms of marketing, spin-off games, building the team etc. There are indie dev teams out there trying to raise a measly $50K to do a game – and we have to deal with this crap.

Yes... because we all know that another million would have made this the game of the decade.  why so serious?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 01:20:00 PM

This game is still around?  Yikes.
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 01:33:08 PM

So basically anything that went right was down to him and anything that went wrong wasn't his fault. If we could harness the power of that man's ego we could solve the world's energy problems.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 01:49:55 PM

I was amazed to get an email about this. I had assumed the game had died a well-deserved death.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 02:21:43 PM

He's devving in a labor un-friendly market under a big tax shelter.  This is why it's not going away.
Add in self-financing, minority SBA, living off the loan interest and built-in salary, working in a loss, writing down all the JobsAct asset-based bonus deprec., etc. and you're in the black 5 yrs. into the project regardless of 'success.'

Hookers&Blow till release day and then dump everything after (failed) box sales and sale/merge/bankruptcy to EA-Orlando.  Rinse, wash, repeat under a new name.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 02:25:33 PM

That stupid asshole has made an entire career for himself out of second chances.

What a world-class fucking idiot.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 05:09:21 AM

You know?  Looking back over the last 15 years of internet laughs it is really only fitting that DA and DS are inextricably linked forever in one horrible over-promised and vastly under-delivered farce of a game.

It's like all of their combined use-net posts all at once in 3D graphical form that you can log into and wander around in.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 05:45:25 AM

It's like all of their combined use-net posts all at once in 3D graphical form that you can log into and wander around in.

ACK!

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 05:56:05 AM

His writing is really bad.  You'd think if they can spend 2 million on lawyers they could at least hire someone to proofread his stuff.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 06:47:31 AM

His writing is really bad.  You'd think if they can spend 2 million on lawyers they could at least hire someone to proofread his stuff.
You'd think if they can spend 1-2 million on lawyers, they'd spend money on having someone else write anything official from QOL.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 07:10:09 AM

You'd think if they can spend 1-2 million on lawyers, they'd spend money on having someone else write anything official from QOL.
Don't be silly. Only someone with his level of awesomeness would be able to effectively communicate just how awesome he is.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 07:31:08 AM

That stupid asshole has made an entire career for himself out of second chances.

What a world-class fucking idiot.

In this business, there are absolutely no second chances. Period. No do-overs whatsoever. If you don’t get it right the first time around, you’re pretty much done.

Surprise! He disagrees, Schild!
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 08:20:18 AM

Yeah I NEVER see gaming devs moving on from failed games to other newer games.  Ohhhhh, I see.

The only thing more incestuous and childish than the gaming dev world is the head coaching club of the NFL.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 12:39:58 PM

Watching the marketing video on the main page of the MMO's website is pretty hilarious. Worst animations I've seen in forever.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 02:23:38 PM

Good CHRIST, I hadn't gone to their website in forever. As a web designer, I am fucking appalled. Their background PNG is over 2 MB. And yes, those animations are super shitty. It doesn't look any better than when I did beta.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 05:16:13 PM

Don't be silly. Only someone with his level of awesomeness would be able to effectively communicate just how awesome he is.

Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 08:13:02 PM

I need to use his technique at my job
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 05, 2012, 07:43:08 AM

He seems to be a big hit over at lum's forums.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 05, 2012, 08:29:12 AM

He seems to be a big hit over at lum's forums.

Only because they never read comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: You-Know-Who Rides Again  
Jump to: