Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:18:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Hook is Return to Ravnica, with the code RVR... other things 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hook is Return to Ravnica, with the code RVR... other things  (Read 18598 times)
schild
Administrator

on: April 07, 2012, 10:25:48 PM

So. PAX East had relevant data. Starting with: http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=406342

Niv-Mizzet and Jace are in Ravnica. Sounds right. And ripe for abuse. I suppose this means shocklands are coming back SOON.

Nicol Bolas is in Magic 2013, which is dumb and stupid because he's unplayable trash:

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=406116

There are 5 more planeswalkers behind him.

Here's the new Avacyn Restored Cards:
http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=406327

These are all eminently playable, ESPECIALLY Restoration Angel, that is shit hot for a rare. Love it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 10:30:12 PM by schild »
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 04:34:40 PM

The spoilers so far for Restored seem much more exciting then the last two sets....  Bunch of great fatties to accelerate into/reanimate, cheaply costed medium sized critters, and Miracle seems broken.  Take another turn for U1?  UUUUGGGHHH, WHAT?  Mechanics that reduce cost are always dangerous.

Also, a blink spell.  Schild loooovvvees blink.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 06:17:43 AM

This set is fucking out of control. Scars was scaled back purposefully, so what in the hell is this?
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 08:28:38 AM

As an aside, from doing the 4-pack sealed, I am less than 25 cards away from having complete sets of DKA and ISD to redeem. The only money card is Huntmaster. My last 2 tourneys had 7 mythics total including Sorin, Huntmaster, and Garruk Relentless.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 07:52:59 AM

I decided to do ONE last 4-pack sealed tournament knowing the only money card I needed was Liliana. Then I opened Liliana and LOLLLLLLED.

After this I should be like 10-15 mediocre/cheap cards from redeeming both DKA and ISD for $5 a piece.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 09:03:22 AM

Both sets now complete.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 05:08:02 AM

Both sets now complete.
Nice.  So $5 to redeem, $3 shipping, about 2 weeks wait.  Not bad.
Has DKA been on MTGO a month already?

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 06:41:38 AM

Both sets now complete.
Nice.  So $5 to redeem, $3 shipping, about 2 weeks wait.  Not bad.
Has DKA been on MTGO a month already?

Dunno, but its a tiny, tiny set.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 08:30:38 AM

Don't redeem my snapcasters.   Ohhhhh, I see.
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 08:40:23 AM

I opened my own. awesome, for real
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 09:48:58 AM

Does banishing stroke just seem retarded? 

Miracle + Brainstorm also seems....  crazy. 
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 09:49:48 PM

WUT!

- Barter in Blood is back?  Fuuuuuuck.  Monoblack Mid/Control was tier 2ish for a while, but if it gets a few more helping hands it could be very interesting.  Loved this card last time it was around, but it had to compete in a Ravager meta, and then a Tooth meta.  Give me Promise of Power back, and I will happily play some rogue Monoblack.

- Entreat the Angels is trying to channel that Decree of Justice vibe, but it just seems bad unless you can reliably cast it for the Miracle cost.  With that much mana, why not play Army of the Dead or Koth or something that has more upside?  One of the huge things about Decree was it cycled at the end of the turn to put your opponent on a short clock or force them to tap out to Wrath and hope that you weren't holding counter.....  and that it could only be Stifled.  Not to mention that it drew you a card! 

- Lot of cutesie Angels here, and this is really going to make Limited interesting.  WU fliers is always a strategy that shows some promise, and this additions mean your last pack could potentially put you over the top or doom alot of bad drafters who are hoping to have their decks fixed by good angels third pack while everyone else drafts consistency.  I can hear the whines about "I got screwed on my last pack!" from players getting pounded on.

Overall, seems kind of win more....  Probably alot of benefit to a WG or Wx strategy built around solid creatures where the last pack provides some W utility or evasiveness.

- Not sure about the Red 2cc walker.  His sift ability has traditionally been something sligh likes, but I don't play much red and he just seems mediocre at best to me.  His ultimate would be interesting in an aggro strategy but it is soooo damn expensive....  especially considering that the best red is stuff that costs more than 2 which is usually slighs sweet spot.  Red has alot of killer 4cc spells like Hero, and the hasty hill giant that deals one damage for each attacking creature.

If burn has enough spells to work, could see a sligh deck that dumps castables as they come up and uses the +1 to ditch Mountains to build to a Sudden Impact as the coup de grace.....  seems like a bad new player strategy though. 

Potential in a RU delver deck?

The Soulbound creatures seem like another attempt to make auras relevant.  The Ophidian effect could be interesting in alot of fish-type strategies. 

There are a pile of cards here that, if synergies can be found, seem potentially crazy.  Huge amount of potential
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 10:50:22 PM

Caveat: I am new to magic. But here is my two cents on what has been spoiled anyway.

Regarding angels, while cool, they are, as you have said, win more cards (at best) for the most part. If you are playing humans and actually make it to 5-6 lands you have probably lost already. Angelic Destiny is awesome because you can stick it on a Merrian Crusader and pull a win out of your ass. Dropping some clunky angel on turn six or whatever is going to be inconsequential as the ramp deck has already played a Titan and Elish Norn, or the control deck shrugs destroys it before you ever get a chance to swing, or on the off chance you are still alive, Delver blocks it with an infinite spirit token. Hell, every deck runs Lingering Souls these days, good luck ever getting an angel through for damage. I just can't foresee 95% of the angel cards getting any use in Standard as they really don't fit anywhere any more so than random green fatties. Sure drafting will be dominated by them (and demons it looks like), but that's another matter.

As for good cards.
While overrated, reprinted Time Walk Temporal Mastery is still crazy fun if nothing else as a one/two of for a random wins.
Vexing Devil is the nuts and makes me want to build a burn deck bad, also the Wheel of Fortune reprint, if only it was instant speed... Bonfire is likewise a fun one/two of to randomly win games with fireballs to the face plus one sided sweep.
Banishing Stroke might see play as a one or two of as well, but with much more consistent cards that do essentially the same thing (O-Ring, Naturalize, and the like) or better (DoJ) I doubt it.
Tamiyo, the Moon Sage might work somewhere (Esper, U/B Control?), but she is so damn slow, and can't takeover and finish a game in nearly the same way a Lilianna/Sorin/Garruk can.
I think Demonic Taskmaster is a neat idea, but he is overshadowed and made useless by Lingering Souls, and would be a lot better as a 3/4 to cockblock Delvers. Plus all the demons basically suffer from the same problems the angels do, slow and chump-blocked.
Descendants' Path will be fun in tribal decks to be sure, but will share the problem of Heartless Summoning / Burning Vengeance. While it begs you to build a deck around it, when you don't draw it you chances of winning are fucked.
Once Swords rotate out Moonsilver Spear might be playable, but probably not.

Everything else is Draft fodder or designed for Commander. Which is fine, but of less relevance to me.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 03:10:57 PM

This. Changes. Everything.

Or not. Seems kinda crazy though.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 03:17:13 PM

Terminus is amazing.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 07:17:28 PM

Terminus is amazing.

Yes.  Better wrath for one?  Okay.  Hallowed Burial saw some marginal play, and this is just better.

White is soooo bomby for Limited.  They have a million evasive fatties.
Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 06:35:56 AM

I started playing this. Fiancee read something about magic and thought it sounded cool, so I picked up some deckbuilder boxes. We have been playing around the apartment. That was nice, but it really just whet my appetite to play some limited formats. I have not played or paid attention to magic in about 10 years, but I'm mostly doing sealed 4-pack m12 swiss drafts. I'm trading whatever cards I end up with for tickets/packs to defray the cost of drafting as much as possible. If anyone reading this is looking for any specific m12 rares/mythics please post below. I'd rather trade something to one of you then just dumping it to a traderbot.

my handle is bann. Shoot me a message/friend request if you like.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 10:16:12 AM

This Ravnica fanboi pandering is going to make me play some magic.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 06:57:34 AM

Starting to get more interested in Magic again, hoping to start popping into MTGO online from time to time.  But looking at the new set I think the Miracle mechanic is just stupid.  But then again I also think the flip mechanic is terrible so maybe I'm just a minority.  swamp poop

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 07:39:50 AM

The miracle mechanic IS awful. I've been running tokens and it's pretty fantastic. I needed a 60th card, so I threw in Entreat the Angels as a one-of. It has won 50% of my games.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 07:45:06 AM

Played some m13 drafts and felt like one the most well rounded core sets I've played.

The drafting had more depth in the packs than I remember, lots of mid-late decisions between still playable cards. Playing the matches I didn't generally run into unimaginative swingy bullshit and I felt I was making lots of proper magic decisions about removal use or stalling vs aggro etc.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: August 13, 2012, 08:00:21 AM

M13 can go both ways. Sometimes it feels super deep and sometimes it's a raging case of "There is absolutely no way I can beat people opening better rares."
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 13, 2012, 08:04:30 AM

The more I think about the Miracle mechanic the more I dislike it.  It's going to create so many judge calls because someone just put the card into their hand and can't prove it was the one they just drew.  If you draw it but aren't sure if you want to play it right away you'll need to have it aside while you consider the board position, but now you just broadcast to your opponent that you drew a card with Miracle.  Etc...

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 08:05:48 AM

M13 can go both ways. Sometimes it feels super deep and sometimes it's a raging case of "There is absolutely no way I can beat people opening better rares."

The previous two blocks before Restored felt that way too.  Always felt good running into a Wurmcoil Engine. ><

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #24 on: August 13, 2012, 08:23:48 AM

The more I think about the Miracle mechanic the more I dislike it.  It's going to create so many judge calls because someone just put the card into their hand and can't prove it was the one they just drew.  If you draw it but aren't sure if you want to play it right away you'll need to have it aside while you consider the board position, but now you just broadcast to your opponent that you drew a card with Miracle.  Etc...
Anyone playing competitively knows how to do it and very few judge calls are made due to that. It's a lot like the sideways cards from back in the day. Some people fake having miracle cards to tilt people much like they're look at a card sideways to fake-telegraph Fire/Ice and such.

Anyway, your concerns aren't really an issue when playing. The big problem is it removes all the fucking skill from the game when you can go OH LOOK, BONFIRE, I'M SOOOOOOOO GOOD AT MAGIC.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Hook is Return to Ravnica, with the code RVR... other things  
Jump to: