Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:17:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2012 College Football 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2012 College Football  (Read 162948 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #945 on: January 16, 2013, 02:35:20 PM

In other crazy ass shit, Deadspin just released an article that the Manti Te'o girlfriend dying story is fake.

http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #946 on: January 16, 2013, 02:40:06 PM

Ohhhhh, I see.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #947 on: January 16, 2013, 02:42:21 PM

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #948 on: January 16, 2013, 02:48:33 PM

Heh, goes to show how much I read late in the day.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #949 on: January 16, 2013, 03:05:38 PM

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #950 on: January 16, 2013, 04:02:42 PM

Manti Te'o claims to have been duped (i.e. he was not in on it):

"This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but over an extended period of time, I developed an emotional relationship with a woman I met online. We maintained what I thought to be an authentic relationship by communicating frequently online and on the phone, and I grew to care deeply about her. To realize that I was the victim of what was apparently someone's sick joke and constant lies was, and is, painful and humiliating. It further pains me that the grief I felt and the sympathies expressed to me at the time of my grandmother's death in September were in any way deepened by what I believed to be another significant loss in my life. I am enormously grateful for the support of my family, friends and Notre Dame fans throughout this year. To think that I shared with them my happiness about my relationship and details that I thought to be true about her just makes me sick. I hope that people can understand how trying and confusing this whole experience has been. In retrospect, I obviously should have been much more cautious. If anything good comes of this, I hope it is that others will be far more guarded when they engage with people online than I was. Fortunately, I have many wonderful things in my life, and I'm looking forward to putting this painful experience behind me as I focus on preparing for the NFL Draft."
Source is from the ESPN article on this:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8851033/story-manti-teo-girlfriend-death-apparently-hoax
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #951 on: January 16, 2013, 04:07:54 PM

..yeah, I know 'innocent until proven guilty' and all that, but there is no freakin' way he was not in on it.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #952 on: January 16, 2013, 07:33:57 PM

The story doesn't even make sense. He's said several times in several interviews he had personal contact with this chick, not over the phone.

I spoke with a friend about this, and we looked over the with two plausible scenarios as to why he would do this:

1 - He wanted some publicity during his senior season to pump up his Heisman and draft stock.
2 - He's a closet homosexual in a world (football, Mormons, Catholics) that absolutely will not accept that. So he and a buddy/boyfriend of his came up with this plan to make up a girlfriend so people don't ask questions. The thing snowballs until eventually they just have to pretend she died, and he just rolls with it.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #953 on: January 16, 2013, 07:49:57 PM

Beard.  Brent Musburger still thinks shes hot.

I am the .00000001428%
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #954 on: January 16, 2013, 08:01:49 PM

Barstool is already selling 'play like you had a fake girlfriend die today' shirts?    Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #955 on: January 17, 2013, 04:59:46 AM

Gotta love Notre Dame football.  If only they'd have put as much effort into investigating this as they did into uncovering Manti T'eo's fake girlfriend. 
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #956 on: January 17, 2013, 07:13:12 AM

ACK!

OK this is one of the strangest things I've ever seen.  I was reading some stuff last night that showed either Facebook or Twitter account (can't remember specifically which one) creation dates as being in 2008.  I just don't know what to think about it.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #957 on: January 17, 2013, 08:06:53 AM

Only a couple of possibilities.

1. He was having an online only relationship that he spun up into a 'real' one just so folks wouldn't think it was weird that he was sexting and so on all the time, and the person he was connecting with was someone who had been faking the persona for a long time. That, at least, is something that's happened quite a lot in the last decade (the made-up person, particularly person with a tragic story.) Considering how much he appears to have invented around their alleged real meetings, this doesn't seem very likely.
2. As above, only he knew that the person on the other end was a dude and it was a way to conceal (maybe even from himself) homosexual feelings.
3. It was a conscious strategy for throwing people off the scent of a physical, real-world homosexual relationship but it got way out of hand and neither he nor his partner knew how to stop it at that point (and Notre Dame may or may not have been helping them).
4. It was a conscious strategy for creating heartstring-tugging publicity, possibly aimed at snagging the Heisman, that one or more people at Notre Dame may have helped him create with the assistance of the wannabe who controlled the Twitter account. One thing's for sure, Notre Dame wasn't shy about feeding the media the story from a fairly early point, so this merits some pretty close scrutiny. This isn't the first "I played on despite tragedy/distraction/some other thing I should have done" story intended to convince folks of a player's intense dedication to his team and sport that's turned out to be total bullshit.

No matter which it is, he doesn't look good, but I think he looks worse and worse the further you go down that list.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #958 on: January 17, 2013, 09:02:17 AM

I'm not buying into the whole 'he's gay, this was his cover up' thing.  While it would (sadly) be a big deal if he was gay, I'm just not buying it.  I say "sadly" because people would make such a big deal about it - and you know they would.  

What I'm also not buying is that if he wasn't involved why did or didn't he:
    Why did he say he met her outside the Standford stadium?
    Why didn't he ever skype/facetime/whatever with her? (we'll probably never know this unless the softball tossing reporter that interviews him cowboy's up and asks him)
    Why is the Az Cardinals player saying he met her and described her physically (tall, volleyball player type build, hot, etc)?  What is his role in all this? (Maybe the girl whose picture was used was the girl T'ao and the Cardinals FB player met outside Standford stadium?)
    Why did he say her family helped him get over the "pain of losing his grandmother and love of his life" in interviews?
Why is ND even getting involved in this? HAHAHA whatever nevermind it's ND trying to protect their image.[/li][/list]

Who the fuck falls in love with someone over the phone?  And sorry, I just can't believe someone would / could fall for something like this.  

I don't know.  It's just so damn surreal.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 09:07:49 AM by SnakeCharmer »
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #959 on: January 17, 2013, 09:30:50 AM

It's fucking sketchy is what it is.  I think he was involved in this and was using it to drum up a sympathy vote for the Heisman. 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #960 on: January 17, 2013, 09:43:05 AM

Who the fuck falls in love with someone over the phone?

My wife and I met over AOL and talked on the phone for about 4 months before we ever met in person. It can happen.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #961 on: January 17, 2013, 10:13:26 AM

My brother and his wife talked via email and phone for quite a while before they met. But then when it does happen, people don't also usually tell stories about the real-world meetings they never had.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #962 on: January 17, 2013, 10:21:52 AM

I think there is something fundamentally different about meeting "on the net" and talking only on the phone.  Oddly, chatting (and what is this AOL you speak of, old man?) on the net may be much more intimate.  You're more likely to say things you might not say otherwise. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #963 on: January 17, 2013, 11:16:24 AM

Ummmm, what?  Texas A and M as the number one team in 2013?  Maybe if Manziel can keep his ass out of jail and the meth mouth doesn't take hold. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #964 on: January 17, 2013, 11:21:36 AM

That list is hilarious. Also, how do you put the Longhorns at 12?  awesome, for real

They lost 4 games and should have lost 5 if Oregon State puts in a QB that isn't a complete disaster.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #965 on: January 17, 2013, 11:30:53 AM

As long as Mackbrown hangs around they are suspect, at best. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #966 on: January 17, 2013, 11:32:58 AM

USA Today has a better list, although I'm not buying Boise State at 11 and Aggy is a bit low.  I would switch their places.  I still don't think Manziel makes it through his entire career without getting busted for coke. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #967 on: January 17, 2013, 11:38:54 AM

USA today does look better with a few things I'd change.

1 - Florida is waaaaaaay overrated at #5. That offense has to prove it's not a complete clusterfuck before they crack the top 10 in my mind.
2 - Florida State at #6? They have no QB! You can't put them there.
3 - Notre Dame at #8? I think the lovefest should be long over after that showing in the NCG.

South Carolina and A&M should be in those top 10 spots, along with Louisville.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #968 on: January 17, 2013, 11:48:19 AM

Free Shoes also just lost it's defensive coordinator and linebackers coach that vaulted them into having the best defense in the country last year.  I'm no SEC homer, but I'll be damned if they shouldn't just rank all the top 10 as SEC schools.  About Florida, I think we'll see some significant improvement there between last year and this.  Muschamp started out in the shitter and really brought them along last year.  I think top 5 may be optimistic, but it's definitely doable. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #969 on: January 17, 2013, 12:03:44 PM

Louisville may be the most overlooked team going into 2013 with Teddy B coming back and Charlie Strong taking a new contract. That will be entirely due to their conference. However, they are a strong team offensively, and a decent enough defensive squad with room to improve.

Since they are bailing for the ACC in 2014, the Big East is going to toss them into their version of the shit schedule, depending on who's left in that clusterfuck.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #970 on: January 17, 2013, 12:06:08 PM

They'll probably go undefeated, finish in the top 5 and get a decent bowl game that I would say they would get destroyed in but.......
Terracotta Army

Reply #971 on: January 17, 2013, 01:32:37 PM

I can't even look at polls till the season starts, but even then...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #972 on: January 18, 2013, 02:37:44 PM

It's fucking sketchy is what it is.  I think he was involved in this and was using it to drum up a sympathy vote for the Heisman. 
According to this story Te'o was not in on it but did figure out it was a hoax and told the school about. Supposedly he was going to make a statement on Monday regarding it but for some reason didn't and then the Deadspin article came out.

Sources: Manti Te'o's representatives passed on chance to release story about fictional girlfriend

Terracotta Army

Reply #973 on: January 18, 2013, 04:42:37 PM

According to this story Te'o was not in on it but did figure out it was a hoax and told the school about. Supposedly he was going to make a statement on Monday regarding it but for some reason didn't and then the Deadspin article came out.

Sources: Manti Te'o's representatives passed on chance to release story about fictional girlfriend

Soooo we were supposed to feel bad and inspired at that time because his "girlfriend" and grandmother died, and now we are supposed to feel bad because he was dumb erm, duped?

Too much...

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #974 on: January 18, 2013, 06:46:07 PM

He's a liar, and he's learning nothing from the other people that lied in the past.

Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #975 on: January 19, 2013, 07:22:47 PM

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2012 College Football  
Jump to: