Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:38:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Heroes and Generals 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heroes and Generals  (Read 17475 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

on: March 27, 2012, 01:02:01 PM

I used the search function and couldn't find anything about it. So, this seems to be the legitimate sequel to WWII Online, which I personally loved as a concept but couldn't really keep up with at the time (2001). I am toying around with the alpha version (they seem to invite testers on a regular basis) and I am quite impressed with the overall playability. It pretty much works in the browser and the very good draw distance contributes to a fairly immersive experience. Weapons don't feel useless nor overpowered while giving back a certain satisfaction when you manage to kill someone (not easy at first). I loved details like shooting at a moving jeep and seeing the damage dealt and the damage deflected by the metal AND the angle shown in the combat log. Or the fact that it's really hard to spot enemies since there's no floating name indicator (only on friendlies to minimizie the impact of friendly fire) so you have to actively scan the horizon with binoculars or your rifle's zoom for that moving pixel that is probably an enemy, while at the same time trying not to have your head sniped off. Noises and sounds seem very good too, invaluably helping to understand what is going on (and where).

Mind, if I can google coorectly, the Danish Devs are no newbies, some of them being behind the first installments of the Hitman franchise.

It's rough, but as a superniche product that is far from being finished, I must say I am a it excited.

>> Here's a video of it <<

Also, this snippet is from Wikipedia, so don't take it too seriously. Still...

Heroes & Generals will also feature unique features that will set it apart from other World War II games. The use of fast terrain vegetation will allow players to hide in brush and tall grass without worry of being spotted by snipers.[7] It will be a free to play game, but, unlike other f2p online shooters, it will also have a campaign, various vehicles, improved graphics, and various small details which would make it comparable to games such as the Battlefield Series or the Call of Duty series. Also, the game will be able to be played using a tablet or smartphone, and instead of being a different version of the game, it will be inside of the same world in which PC gamers are going to be playing in. However, they have a different role in the game, in which they are commanders, or people who move troops and assault teams, call in airstrikes, ect. This will give the game a new element of realism that few games strive for.

Also: BICYCLES!  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 01:05:15 PM by Falconeer »

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 01:34:00 PM

So, this seems to be the legitimate sequel to WWII Online,

Excitement level:  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 01:51:24 PM

I want an alpha key solely so I can ride around on my bike doing sick grinds and handplants.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 02:05:08 PM

... while dodging bullets.

Anyway, I couldn't find the bicycle in my playing sessions. Maybe it's a collector edition item.  why so serious?

Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 02:25:17 PM

I wanna make a clan that is a biker gang. We roll up from behind on enemy platoons and get in knife fights.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 06:17:33 PM

I wanna make a clan that is a biker gang. We roll up from behind on enemy platoons and get in knife fights.

I'm sold on this game just so I can do this.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 06:18:56 PM

So, in the video they are talking about "maps"  - does that mean this game is instanced?  I can deal with loading screens, but instancing would seemingly make this anything but a true sequel to WW2O.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 06:27:07 PM

So, in the video they are talking about "maps"  - does that mean this game is instanced?  I can deal with loading screens, but instancing would seemingly make this anything but a true sequel to WW2O.

To me it sounds like you load into a map when a mission is started and you join in.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 07:04:39 PM

They've essentially just made a browser-based instanced FPS with a strat. layer.  That's it.
How it is that they think this is a "successor" to ww2o is quite laughable.  But, you guys keep the dream alive I guess.   Ohhhhh, I see.

I will say this, it eliminates the physical logistics necessary in something like ww2o or ps2, which many people seemed to be hung up on.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 07:07:53 PM

They've essentially just made a browser-based instanced FPS with a strat. layer.  That's it.
How it is that they think this is a "successor" to ww2o is quite laughable.  But, you guys keep the dream alive I guess.   Ohhhhh, I see.

I will say this, it eliminates the physical logistics necessary in something like ww2o or ps2, which many people seemed to be hung up on.

Meh, my excitement about this went from sky high to nothing in under a day, that has to be a new record.   
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 12:31:45 AM

Yeah I have to say the instance thing is a bummer. Of course I overlooked it at first, it wasn't that perceivable in the test, but in the long run it is a significant difference from WWII Online. That said, everything else seems likable enough that I might try to not care about it. It's all about perception. For example, I could accept it here, but I would never swallow it in Planetside.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 08:30:09 PM

I'm in the alpha for this... there's a loose NDA so I'll report back.  I just cant post vids/pics.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 05:53:13 AM

Worst test schedule ever.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 02:57:42 PM

I got into alpha for this today and spent a little time playing it. (NDA does not prohibit talking about the game)  As a shooter it is actually not bad.  Its a session based shooter with a strategic meta game which seems basically pretty much optional to pay attention to.  When you log in you see the strategic map and it looks a lot like the WW2O map.  However, on the right side of the screen is a list of battles which are currently going on, which I guess are whichever cities are currently being contested.  You can click on one to join and get right to the battle.  

It certainly is not a replacement for WW2O, but if you ever wanted a game you could just log in and play but sort of like the idea of a strategic layer that doesn't really interfere it might actually be something you'd like.  I'm personally torn about it.  I actually don't hate it, in fact it was pretty fun, but more than anything it just made me want to resub to WW2O. 

EDIT: I should add that the gun play/control stuff is much more like a modern shooter, not the sim-like stuff that WW2O is based on. 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 03:04:13 PM by Malakili »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 06:24:04 AM

If you are in alpha, servers are up 24/7 now. I can't say I found very much to be compelling in this title. Its alpha, but I think there are some base line shooter issues here.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 12:26:38 AM

If you are in alpha, servers are up 24/7 now. I can't say I found very much to be compelling in this title. Its alpha, but I think there are some base line shooter issues here.

What you said. 15 minutes with the game didn't lead me to want to spend 15 more.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 07:28:18 AM

War bonds?

They lost me here, but maybe some of you might find this interesting.
Could it be the more complicated funding system for a MMO ever?

More than 600 War Bonds has been bought from various dedicated community members. Thanks for the support - this is greatly appreciated!

It might not be 100% clear to all what War Bonds are, and how they work, so Reto.RedBjarne has made a quite thorough blog-post explaining what War Bonds are all about. If you just want the short version you should read on here:
When you buy War Bonds in the game, you support the development of Heroes & Generals and in return, we will give you a monthly in-game interest back in gold, AND buy back your War Bonds after 6 months.

For example: In the first series of War Bonds, you pay 955 gold for a War Bond worth 1000 gold. In return you get 110 gold each month in interest + we buy the War Bond back from you after six months for 1000 gold. So, all in all you get: 6 * 110 + (1000-955) = 705 gold for buying one War Bond (and you’ll also have the 955 gold back you gave for it in the first place).

If we, for any reason, have to reset the servers and the stats at any point you still keep the War Bonds you’ve purchased.

War Bonds can be bought in the in-game shop.

Besides, all the gold you choose to buy with 'real' money during the the Closed Beta will be refunded as gold to your account if stats are reset during the Closed Beta. Only exception to this is the gold you have spend on buying War Bonds - but the War Bonds will still work after any resets and in the Open Beta and through launch.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 12:39:32 PM

The gameplay for the alpha version was not bad, but it wasn't good enough to justify trying to figure out that bizarre calculation.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 01:46:21 PM

I'll paraphrase:  "Putting real money in early gives you more H&G Fake Money Points than if you put in real money later.  All you have to do is wait six months after launch to get all of it."

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 04:13:23 PM

I'll paraphrase:  "Putting real money in early gives you more H&G Fake Money Points than if you put in real money later.  All you have to do is wait six months after launch to get all of it."

Or: Give us money now and we'll provide a carrot for you to hang around long after you want to. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 06, 2012, 07:38:56 AM

Hi H&G User,

A handful of players have reported, that running Microsoft’s Disk Cleanup tool, after installing Heroes & Generals, corrupted their Windows installation.

We have managed to reproduce the problem and can confirm that it is a bug in Microsoft’s Disk Cleanup tool, which is triggered if the full path of a file becomes longer than about 260 characters. As a result Disk Cleanup starts deleting things it should leave alone.

So this is actually an issue with Microsoft’s tool, but we are working on making a workaround for Heroes & Generals instead of waiting for them to fix it.

Our recommendation is simply to not run Disk Cleanup until we have made a workaround and patched it into the game. So if you don't have the need to run Disk Cleanup, then you can just wait for our workaround patch, which will be installed automatically when you log in when we have deployed our upcoming build 'Bradley'. The 'Bradley' build will most likely be ready and up next week (maybe even this week).

But if you wish to run Disk Cleanup before we deploy the patch, you should locate and delete the '%temp%\HNG' folder first.

How to locate the %temp% folder
How to locate the %temp% folder

You can locate the %temp% folder and delete the HNG folder like this:

Click on the "Start" button in Windows
    Write '%temp%' in the Search field and press enter
    This opens a window showing the content of the %temp% folder.
    Find and delete the folder called 'HNG'

If you log in on game.heroesandgenerals.com, after deleting the 'HNG' folder, then the files will automatically be re-installed.

We're terribly sorry about any inconvenience this may have caused and hope that we with this mail are able to save you some trouble!

Best Regards,
The Reto-Moto team

schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 11:50:32 AM

People run disk cleanup?

Also, hilarious.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 07:33:25 AM

Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 12:42:39 AM

They sure are doing some amazing things with Kinect.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: July 10, 2012, 07:26:14 AM

I'd actually want to ...play..coughcoughImeantestcoughcough this game if they'd increase the server limit from 10 players per side.

Having large instanced servers (ie 32 vs 32 and up) overlaid with a strategic meta game is where I thought FPS' should've gone years ago. Why Battlefield or CoD hasn't done this is beyond me.

Is it a pure successor to ww2ol? No, but ww2ol is so done that CRS is launching it's own version of Heroes and Generals. (aka Rapid Assault). The one map/server idea is great in concept but unless you have the player base and the technology (and the players have the technology to run it) its pointless. And lets face it the battles on ww2ol break down into smaller 50 on 50 fights anyway. I'd like H&G to have 128 vs 128 servers and I think an ex-ww2oler's desire for large battles will be satisfied.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: November 06, 2012, 06:42:00 AM

News.

We've partnered up with Square Enix

If you don't know who or what Square Enix is, then the short version is that it's a publisher, who amongst other titles has developed, published and distributed Final Fantasy, Hitman, Tomb Raider, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Dead Island, Dragon Quest, Sleeping Dogs, and many other great titles. We're very proud to be part of this lineup and we believe that Square Enix is a perfect match for Heroes & Generals.

We'll continue to run a community driven development, and the main difference to how we've run things so far, is that Square Enix will be handling marketing and PR... oh, and we'll also be able to deliver a lot more content and expand the game a lot faster!

We really wanted to involve you in this sooner, but as Square Enix is a publicly traded company on the Tokyo Stock Exchange we couldn't leak it to you before the deal was signed and Square Enix were ready for the announcement.

This is a fantastic opportunity for us at Reto-Moto, and the enthusiasm we feel from the people at Square Enix concerning Heroes & Generals is incredible! They are extremely impressed with our community (yup - that's YOU!) and what we have achieved so far, and we hope that you will help us give the crew at Square Enix a warm welcome and support.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: November 06, 2012, 12:42:03 PM

cool. Must load up beta again to see how it's going. Was very nice looking for beta but lacking the numbers to make it truely fun.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 07, 2012, 11:33:30 AM

This sounds interesting, I agree the map sizes should be big enough for an epic 32 on 32, but hey if the strategic layer is done intuitively enough this can be a game for all comers.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 06, 2013, 06:30:55 AM

Now in Open Beta. There's even an app.

croaker69
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 08, 2013, 10:22:50 AM

Played a few matches yesterday. Navigating the web interface and trying to find out how the campaign map and assault teams work was not very new-user friendly. The combat as a lowly infantryman and the maps I played on were fun. I did see some of the most blatant aim-botting ever though. Planetside 2 needs to rip the grenade interface and physics from this as they are far superior.

What may at first appear to be an insurmountable obstacle will in time be seen for what it really is: an impenetrable barrier.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 08, 2013, 10:52:41 AM

I played a few as well and yes the interface is bloody awful. As far as I can tell the maps are still 16 v 16?  A complete waste if they stay that way....battles need to be 64 vs 64 at LEAST if its going to be fun..

Oh and bicycle to victory!

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 08, 2014, 01:34:30 PM

Anyone actually playing this that can give feedback?  I keep getting updates, it looks damn nice. Any good to actually play yet?

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: June 30, 2014, 07:23:22 AM

Downloaded and played last night. Definitely coming along a lot. Looks nice, interface is 'decent'. All sorts of options for customizing your soldier and stuff. (also plenty of stuff to spend real $ on   Ohhhhh, I see.)

If you're looking for a 'tactical' shooter that requires skill and teamwork to succeed at this is for you. If you simply want to jump into a game and blast bad guys away this game is NOT for you. You will die a lot. A LOT.

Also it's a European focused game so getting into a battle as a newbie in North American times can take a while. 

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: July 12, 2014, 09:51:54 AM

This is now available on Steam fyi.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/227940
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Heroes and Generals  
Jump to: