Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:14:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Legend of Korra 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Legend of Korra  (Read 25088 times)
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: November 27, 2013, 07:12:53 PM

Than want to focus on Korra being this strong female character with all these personal issues and by extension personal villains. And...well.... With Amon you had the threat of losing your bending and his equalist movement. With Unalaq you don't really get his motivations. Like sure power but what world does he envision? Also yeah what made Ozai "great" for the series, was that he was built up as being this generally bad guy. But better Ozai had Zhao and Azulu to fill in for him. Unalaq not so much since he was being set up as a one arc villain and ultimately it doesn't work combined with the sheer scale of what he was doing and the lack of gravity to his character.

But despite this I think that they are trying to tell a story that won't be entirely complete until the third season and it's not like I didn't like was happening, just wish we had more character behind it on all fronts.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: June 26, 2014, 06:56:02 AM

Season 3 starts tomorrow!

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: June 26, 2014, 08:07:54 AM

Despite some of the flaws in pacing and characterization in this series, I still really love it on the whole. In some ways I actually appreciate the rough edges and messiness of the character relationships and narrative structure as a contrast to the relatively tight and ultimately conventional structure of the original Avatar series. I'd like to see Korra develop a slightly more calculating, self-aware streak this season though--having her bull her way through more subtle political subplots is going to get old eventually.

I also am curious about the status quo as far as being the Avatar goes. Does she have access to her past selves any more after the conclusion of last season? I hope so: it would seem a shame to lose that. I also think they need an antagonist who has more interesting and thought-out motivations than Unalaq. They're still playing with a steampunk/industrial revolution setting, so I could see a sort of Edison/Tesla (or Teller/Oppenheimer) struggle over whether science and technology should be morally compatible with the world of the spirits or antagonistic/exploitative of it.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #73 on: June 02, 2016, 11:11:21 PM

Arise for not much of a good reason!

All four seasons of this are on Canadian Netflix now, so I binge watched it over the last month. And now I'm done. And kinda sad because I really enjoyed that. To the point that I might even read the graphic novels due this fall.

Now what to watch?

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: June 03, 2016, 10:39:27 AM

In some ways, despite the inconsistencies and false leads, I think this was a better show than the first Avatar. Korra is definitely by the end a more interesting character than Aang--she may be one of the more complex YA/anime-ish protagonists I can think of, with a very interesting hero's journey.

I would love the series creators to do something new--whether in this universe or some other. Very talented people.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #75 on: June 03, 2016, 10:46:57 AM

Just got done with Avatar for the first time. GF had the dvds and loved the series so we watched them over the course of 2 months. Now we are onto this on Amazon...or Hulu... can't recall which. First three seasons are free with Prime so we just started in on this. Looking forward to it as I really got some enjoyment out of Avatar, though the first 5 episodes of it really didn't turn me on at all. Once the show got going though... I enjoyed it. Hoping for the same.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #76 on: November 21, 2020, 04:48:00 AM

I love you, Azula. I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH1vXDP9C-0

A quit touching Azula supercut. Such nuanced characters for a kids show.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: November 21, 2020, 06:46:56 AM

Korra frustrates some people because the protagonist is a contradictory, changing person who makes a lot of mistakes. I think that makes her one of the most amazingly human protagonists in this kind of show. It's also a show with less of single major plotline--essentially she faces a series of adversaries who are badly misguided but who each have kind of a legitimate point they're making if you step back from it a bit.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Legend of Korra  
Jump to: