Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:23:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Secret space combat project - off rails or not? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Secret space combat project - off rails or not?  (Read 3083 times)
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

on: March 10, 2012, 04:44:27 PM

SWTOR stated at the convention that they are working on a secret project for space combat.

Now, the obvious thing that sucks about the current space combat system is ... it is just an on-rails shooter. And coming out with a true off-rails, 3-d flight sim ala X Wing vs. Tie Fighter, or SWG had seems lika a big DUH to do.

But that is a lot of effort, unless they happen to have done work towards that already and decided to not ship it. Or they have been working on it all along in parallel with the original release, knowing it wouldn't be ready for launch but maybe in the first year.

If I had a wish list (sounds more EVE or SWG-like):
- true 3-d free flight
- zoom out of the ship for exterior view
- multi-player ships (pilot, co-pilot, gunners, etc)
- space PvP
- ship to ship boarding
- land directly on planets and fleet, not via menus

It does seem that their on-rails system is already rendering in 3-d, but the flight path is just locked and the view restricted. It doesn't strike me as something like Zaxxon that needs a totally different 3-d engine; it just needs them to relax the flight and view constriants they are currently imposing.

I can't imagine a 'secret project' worthy of the name short of a 3-d free flight system of some sort.

I might try playing that if it really happened.

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 05:09:50 PM

I really wouldn't get your hopes up.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 06:04:28 PM

If this game survives to put out an expansion or two, I could see free-style space-faring as a nice expansion feature, along with guild battleships and what not.

But in a stand-alone patch.  Yeah... Ohhhhh, I see.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 06:24:58 PM

I'd say it's more likely the on-rails part will be modded to allow multiple users.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 07:50:59 PM

Trying to think about things they could do that require as little modification as possible -

I'd say they are just going to link space combat with ground quests (maybe FPs).

Beat the fighter squadron, dock with a space station, and kill everything in an instance. New 'content' without needing any serious new systems.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 08:01:20 PM

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 08:24:16 PM

This really. The absolute most I expect is group-based space combat on rails, or free-flying space combat solo.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Secret space combat project - off rails or not?  
Jump to: