Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:37:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Patch 136: Fiora 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Patch 136: Fiora  (Read 8769 times)
statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

on: February 25, 2012, 05:52:21 AM

Fiora revealed: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/news/fiora-grand-duelist-revealed
Fiora sneak peak: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/news/champion-sneak-peek-%E2%80%93-fiora-grand-duelist

That is a boring, boring kit.

Champ spotlight: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/news/champion-spotlight-fiora-grand-duelist

Gameplay changes: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/news/fiora-patch-notes
Lux and Olaf gets buffs, Ziggs get a little nerf, Jungle big monsters now restore mana too.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 10:23:55 PM by tastyhat »
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 07:53:59 AM

Can't complain. Fiora looks like a melee speed character for Dominion, and I hope this gets Olaf out of the bull pen more often. He's fun to fight and fun to play. Also the mana restore should make it more attractive for players to attack random jungle enemies as you pass them, which is the best way to upset enemy junglers.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 11:03:21 AM

I'm more surprised that she's actually wearing cloths.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 12:09:52 PM

Lux buff is nice, especially the "light" on FoW.

Nothing too painful but is lacking an Ahri nerf.

Any news on a fix to the rune combiner or Jade Wukong's staff?

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 03:56:16 PM

O M N I S L A S H !

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 03:57:08 PM

That was pretty much my first thought when I saw her ultimate, but I know not everyone has played DotA.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 05:38:09 PM

That was pretty much my first thought when I saw her ultimate, but I know not everyone has played DotA.
Odd, when I hear Omnislash I think of Final Fantasy 7.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 06:47:20 PM

Huh, I guess that's true too. I guess Ragnoros will have to clarify what he meant. I might like this character. How many melee AD carries are there besides Yi?

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 07:13:54 PM

Trynd and technically Gangplank is classified as a carry.

-Rasix
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 08:29:52 PM

Heh, my friend and I were just arguing about what constituted a melee AD carry. He said that all melees were inherently off-tanks since it's impossible for them not to take damage. But I mostly think of Yi, Trynd, sometimes GP and maybe Riven as carries. But then there are the more ability-based Talon and Shaco, Poppy and Jax if you count hybrids, and Nocturne depending on where your cutoff is between carry and bruiser.

I think it's a category that needs more representation.
Rasix

Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 09:14:37 PM

I think for some reason, the category of assassin and carry are mutually exclusive for Riot.  I don't see why Riven wouldn't be a carry.  Fed Riven just wrecks games, and you can build her straight AD until you slap on a GA for the extra "fuck you" at the end. I guess she's a bit bruisery, but you don't even have to try to build he as such.  Kind of like the Jax of old, before he became just another metagolem goon.

-Rasix
statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 10:24:03 PM

Rasix

Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 10:40:42 PM

Tons of damage.  Boring kit looks boring in action, and Phreak sounds bored talking about it. Yay.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 11:14:18 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 09:05:03 AM

She looks like a very boring AD Katarina.

Scadente
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 09:19:36 AM

I think for some reason, the category of assassin and carry are mutually exclusive for Riot.  I don't see why Riven wouldn't be a carry.  Fed Riven just wrecks games, and you can build her straight AD until you slap on a GA for the extra "fuck you" at the end. I guess she's a bit bruisery, but you don't even have to try to build he as such.  Kind of like the Jax of old, before he became just another metagolem goon.

Yes, almost any fed character CAN carry.

But most end-game evolves into protecting THE carry (your ranged AD); the exception to the rule is often that a fed bruiser, assassin or mage wrecks the opposing carry, and the game ends quickly. But if you watch pro-games, you'll most often see them end up with the intended carry farming well, and wrecking endame.

The Assassin is most often there to burst down the opposing carry.

As far as I see it;

Support & Tank = Protect the friendly Carry
Bruiser = Distract the opposing Carry
Mage & Assassin = Burst and Lock down the opposing Carry
Carry = Wreck the opposing team.

In a perfect world, anyways... Most solo-games just devolve down into a crowd-spam of AOE and badly positioned players.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 09:25:50 AM by Scadente »

So the kids on the internet say that you're a big noise?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 08:09:25 PM

Fiora can get some serious attack speed built up, but holy shit, she looks really squishy. I killed a competent but not great Fiora like 3 or 4 times tonight as GP just because she zipped into my wheelhouse and I crit-melted her to death.

Rasix

Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 09:28:25 PM

OK, this new champ is going to give me a fucking seizure. FLASH FLASH FLASH FLASH FLASH.

-Rasix
FieryBalrog
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 04:42:20 AM

I love this game and sunk 300 dollars into it over 4 months. Got my money's worth with my playtime.

That said, Riot is fucking terrible when it comes to making new heroes. Every new hero they add is a boring mish-mash of existing shit (choose from a random grab bag of GAP CLOSER, SHIELD, AS/MS steroid, SKILLSHOT, etc.). This is not only just a waste of a hero, it actually devalues existing heroes by continually making them less unique.

Like, Riven is one of the few remotely unique melee champs (and not that unique anyway) yet now we have Riven skewed 90 degrees mixed with some other random existing shit.

Everything about DotA 2* is archaic garbage except the thing they get really right is the diversity in heroes and skillsets, and there are some true wacky oddball heroes. Even if there is a bunch of legacy bullshit like Skeleton King. LOL doesn't have anything close to as fucking-around fun as Techies or Meepo. Teemo is nice, but a pale imitation and he turns into yet another GUN SHIT DOWN hero late game.

*except for the tourney scene and high-level play which I couldn't give a fuck about, these games are the most boring esport on the planet to watch.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 04:47:55 AM by FieryBalrog »
FieryBalrog
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 04:49:18 AM

I think for some reason, the category of assassin and carry are mutually exclusive for Riot.  I don't see why Riven wouldn't be a carry.  Fed Riven just wrecks games, and you can build her straight AD until you slap on a GA for the extra "fuck you" at the end. I guess she's a bit bruisery, but you don't even have to try to build he as such.  Kind of like the Jax of old, before he became just another metagolem goon.
unless they changed Riven in the past 2 months when I wasn't paying attention she was definitely a carry, in fact one of the strongest scaling carries in the game, especially with the new masteries.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 08:08:21 AM

But she doesn't have a fun/silly skin.

Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 11:59:23 AM

Everything about DotA 2* is archaic garbage except the thing they get really right is the diversity in heroes and skillsets,

Yes, this absolutely. I just do not understand why Riot can't get this shit together [1]. Incredibly frustrating, it's like they manage one innovation every year and then dilute the innovation into that entire year's worth of champions. I mean for god's sake just RIP OFF DOTA MORE, I hate to say it but honestly, if you can't beat them creatively, at least imitate their superior creations.

[1] Well ok actually it's pretty obvious they can't get this shit together because they are mind-numbingly tied to releasing new champions on a set schedule that is vastly too accelerated for whatever creative talent they have working on the problem -- and obviously have no problem with the result, since they could presumably fairly trivially hire more/better talent or release fewer heros at the cost of some portion of their current profits.
statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 12:38:29 PM

Given that Riot has *173* open positions, I think that getting talent they're happy with is actually a big problem.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 01:00:59 AM

I have to admit that Wukong is the last champ that I still play on a regular basis.

Everything else after him has been mediocre or nerfed to the ground.

For me Ahri had a fun skillset and was a shitload of fun but is no longer fun, Nautilus had some ok ideas but gets boring after 10 minutes, Volibear was a massive disappointment, Victor - I could never play Victor properly so I'll take the blame there (same with Fizz for that matter - I just cant get my head around either of them).

I need to get in on the DOTA2 beta I think

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #23 on: March 02, 2012, 04:36:55 AM

Everything about DotA 2* is archaic garbage except the thing they get really right is the diversity in heroes and skillsets,

Yes, this absolutely. I just do not understand why Riot can't get this shit together [1]. Incredibly frustrating, it's like they manage one innovation every year and then dilute the innovation into that entire year's worth of champions. I mean for god's sake just RIP OFF DOTA MORE, I hate to say it but honestly, if you can't beat them creatively, at least imitate their superior creations.

[1] Well ok actually it's pretty obvious they can't get this shit together because they are mind-numbingly tied to releasing new champions on a set schedule that is vastly too accelerated for whatever creative talent they have working on the problem -- and obviously have no problem with the result, since they could presumably fairly trivially hire more/better talent or release fewer heros at the cost of some portion of their current profits.

I have the suspicion that a lot of the time their style design trumps mechanical design. Or at least predates it, because they seem to release excellent flavour, and then follow it up with such mediocre function.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 02, 2012, 03:43:40 PM

Champions released in the last 6 months...

Riven - 2011-09-14
Xerath - 2011-10-05
Graves - 2011-10-19
Shyvana - 2011-11-01
Fizz - 2011-11-15
Volibear - 2011-11-29
Ahri - 2011-12-14
Viktor - 2011-12-28
Sejuani - 2012-01-17
Ziggs - 2012-02-01
Nautilus - 2012-02-14
Fiora - 2012-02-29

Ironically I stopped playing regularly right around the time Riven came out, and picked up the game again a few weeks ago. I see quite a few creative champion ideas in that list (underlined).

LoL hasn't been afraid to dig into alternate resource systems, which led to energy champions like Shen and rage champions like Renekton. This is something DoTA didn't do because it was hampered by being a WC3 mod. I don't really see them changing this, given how many dated/bad mechanics Valve has brought back for DoTA2. Playing a match of DoTA2 was a fairly disappointing experience even if it did seem like there were some cool champions buried in there.

It's got to be hard to come up with fresh champion ideas with such a rapid release schedule, but I think Riot does a pretty good job. If you're bored of the game or the recent champions, my advice to you would be to take a long break from the game. When you come back, there will be plenty of new champions to check out and probably some other interesting changes as well. I've taken two long breaks from the game since I started playing in 2009, but I see that as a natural inevitability rather than a failure on Riot's part.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 02, 2012, 04:04:32 PM

LoL hasn't been afraid to dig into alternate resource systems, which led to energy champions like Shen and rage champions like Renekton.

You say that like energy champions were actually a good idea.  ACK!

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, 04:14:26 PM

Riot's champions need to be good both technically and stylistically. There were some good red posts on this topic concerning a cancelled lizard hero. I think their most significant recent successes have been Nocturne and Riven which I find hard to disagree with, especially on Riven.

I think their 2 week cycle is making it difficult to produce good heroes. It just feels as if there's very little that's not rehashed.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 02, 2012, 06:00:41 PM

You say that like energy champions were actually a good idea.  ACK!

I do like all of the energy champions, and I think they were good additions to the game.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Patch 136: Fiora  
Jump to: