Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:44:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Performance tips 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Performance tips  (Read 2161 times)
Phred
Terracotta Army

on: February 09, 2012, 11:52:46 AM

Can't find an appropriate thread to put this in as it's not an angst filled quit message or a pvp beef so here goes. The game uses a very cpu intensive method to display grass so turning the grass slider off can make the game way more responsive on planets like alderan and the other foliage heavy worlds. I told a friend about it and he was able to go up to the native rez on his laptop where it was unplayable before that.

edit. changed title to make it a general tips thread.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 06:18:43 PM by Phred »
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 12:15:57 PM

I believe the grass and tree sliders affect non-grass planets like Tatooine, too.  Specifically, the rocks that make up the canyon walls.

EDIT:  The biggest performance improvers are probably known by everyone by now:  turn V-sync on, turn Shadows off.

For computers that have audio built into the motherboard (Realtek, f.ex.), I think quite a bit of the sound processing is done in software (and thus on the CPU), so turning off the software graphics equalizer and/or the sound modification effects (room effect, concert hall, etc) helps drive the CPU load down.  Also, I can't live without the in-game sounds, but I think turning the in-game music slider down to 0 turns it off, which also seems to save a few cycles.  Game ran marginally better on my crappy-CPU computer with the music off.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 12:22:20 PM by ajax34i »
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Performance tips  
Jump to: