Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:43:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Profitability of tradeskills 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Profitability of tradeskills  (Read 3565 times)
Joe
Terracotta Army

on: February 16, 2005, 12:30:55 PM

I've hit 11 as Craftsman (going for Provisioner), and I've become slightly concerned about the profitability of tradeskills. As it stands now, I've probably burned a few gold just keeping myself fed, and I've been unable to sell anything thus far. Is there a reason 4.5 hour food doesn't sell? Or does the level of the food actually have a bearing on things, thus keeping me from at least recouping the production cost of the items I create?

As it stands, I've been making turtle soup and ogre swill, and have been unsuccessful as far as sales go. I'm reasonably sure I'm either unlucky or missing something, since I'm the only one selling, selling for a very low profit margin, and still not moving food or beverages.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 01:01:05 PM

Food does not sell. Drink does. Tier2 drink sells for 4s each pretty readily. At least it did before the Valentine's Day food and drink flooded the market. You really just need to grind to level 15 so you can make Antonica Coffee. The beans are plentiful and there are no sub-components. At level 12 or 13 you can make whisky and still get exp from the wheat malt subcombine.

Food just isn't as important because 99% of the time people have a healer in their group anyway, while every class needs power regen. I make food for self-consumption only.

I have never played WoW.
Lanei
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 01:10:31 PM

The level of the food does also have an effect.  What the food or drink cons is directly related to how much good it does you to eat it.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 01:24:26 PM

Up until the recent tradeskill changes Alchemy was the big money maker.

The advice I was given was to make sure you do the craftsman quests given by whatever trade guild you belong to - as these are supposed to give a very good return for the time you spend, especially as you level.  This was considered by my level 50 Alchemist guild mate to be a key source of liquidity.

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 02:09:41 PM

Shiznits has hit it on the head. Food just won't sell very well to any but soloers because if you are in a group doing anything interesting you will have to have a healer. With a healer in a group food is negligable usefulness. Drink on the other hand is necessary as power is the primary hinderance and down time producer such as it is in eq2.

I can't remember when the last time I stocked up on food is but I buy drink all the time.

kaid
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 05:40:04 PM

It's all about the drinks. Everyone, hunters and crafters alike, need the 1337 booze. I had made a deal with a provisioner to provide her with assorted raws, and she'd give me a bunch of awesome tier 3 drinks...my Brigand was a machine. Fuck Assassins, Ruse For Teh Win!!1!

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 07:48:31 PM

My buddy indicated that wiht the new tradeskill writs - provisioners are making some serious coin.

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Joe
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 02:35:56 PM

I'm still trying to get the hang of it. I'm only just now breaking into the T2 stuff. I've yet to really discover the trick to crafting (should I twist the powers, or just hit them as the "mistakes" pop up in the window?). While I'd love to make some cash off drinks, my primary concern is keeping myself supplied when fighting. I think I'm going to need to dedicate the better part of the weekend to crafting, just so I can catch up to where I am, levelwise.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 04:12:59 PM

This is a very good link for skills to use while crafting.  You should use the 'buffs' even when the problem icon isn't there. That link tells you what the effects are. Some will increase durability, some will speed up progress and some will even speed up progress at the cost of durability.

For provisioning this board has some nice charts.
Joe
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 18, 2005, 05:26:07 PM

Shit, thanks. Questions answered.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #10 on: February 21, 2005, 07:09:24 PM

You might find this interesting:
- Crafted products will now sell back to NPC vendors for the cost it took to produce them. This value is stored on each item, so two of the same item may sell back for different values depending on the cost of production of each. If you bought components from an NPC merchant, the merchant cost will be used as the component's value. Please note that this value does not take into account any profit made by other players selling components used to make the finished item, only the manufacturing cost of the item itself.
- NOTE: The new sellback pricing only applies to items created after this update went live. Unfortunately we cannot retroactively calculate the production costs of items that were made before this update.
From the sounds of things, it's both good and bad.  It assures you won't lose any money to trade skills if you're just selling back everything you make to the vendor.  It also assures you won't make any money by selling something to the vendor, just other players.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Profitability of tradeskills  
Jump to: