Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:23:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Brunei, "Your film is no good for us." Keanu, "Whoa." 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brunei, "Your film is no good for us." Keanu, "Whoa."  (Read 17740 times)
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: February 19, 2005, 06:57:20 PM

I think he's saying is, in the previews you'll see when you see Constantine, you'll see another movie which he stars in and in which he acts like Neo.  Not that he acted like Neo in Constantine.

Bruce
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: February 19, 2005, 08:17:59 PM

I think he's saying is, in the previews you'll see when you see Constantine, you'll see another movie which he stars in and in which he acts like Neo.  Not that he acted like Neo in Constantine.

Yah sorry, that's what I meant. I do think he did a good job in Constantine. There's another movie coming out (A Scanner Darkly, a Philip K Dick book) where it seems (at least from the previews) that he acts like Neo.

- Viin
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: February 19, 2005, 08:44:01 PM

Wow, according to the message board on that thread, aparrently there as a big dispute about whether or not this film was going to be delayed.  Also, the trailer is attached to the Batman trailer and it is aparrently being shown at some theatres, but not others, as some theatres were told to cut it.

Bruce
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #38 on: February 21, 2005, 09:09:14 AM

My theater did not have "A Scanner Darkly" in front of the movie.

I liked it a great deal, and this is coming from an old skool Constantine fan, from as far back as his first appearances in Swamp Thing when Alan Moore was writing him. IF, and for some this is a big if, you can get over the change in setting from England to LA, AND the changes in Chas's character, it's a good movie to watch. The Chas character, IMO, suffers the most from the transition, but it's acceptable. The imagery was well done, and the direction was, again IMO, superb. The things I noticed most were the framing of images, very often using the almost direct center of the screen to bisect the frame into equal halves, with some form of vertical element in the background to emphasize it. He also put a lot of little funny touches in the background, like a shot behind a walking zombie (who carried the Spear of Destiny) with a billboard in the background that said "Got Faith?" Really funny stuff.

Reeves did good enough in the role, which is about all you can ask out of him. He's never going to give an Oscar-worthy performance, but he did "Bill and Ted" the role. Rachel Weisz is the hawtness. Tilda Swinton just doesn't do it for me, but played the role well. Gavin Rossdale (yes, from Bush) was a pleasant surprise as Balthazar.

I think it's worth seeing in the theatre, because there's a lot of good effects spectacles, and a decent story.

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #39 on: February 21, 2005, 09:10:35 AM

My wife and I are going to see Constantine tonight. If it sucks you will be to blame and I will demand a refund from you, Haemish.

You have been warned.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #40 on: February 21, 2005, 10:40:39 AM

The NY Times said it was almost as dumb as "Van Helsing", but it fell short.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #41 on: February 21, 2005, 11:17:12 AM

In no way shape or form was it as stupid, vapid and worthless as that steaming pile of cinematic excrement. Whole clans of retarded children with two teeth in their entire collective heads give Van Helsing two doodies down.

Constantine was much better than that.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #42 on: February 21, 2005, 11:23:03 AM

In no way shape or form was it as stupid, vapid and worthless as that steaming pile of cinematic excrement. Whole clans of retarded children with two teeth in their entire collective heads give Van Helsing two doodies down.

I'll at least agree on that. Not even close to that kind of bad.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #43 on: February 21, 2005, 11:27:27 AM

I liked it.  Keanu was really bad in some scenes, but you learn to just kinda tune him out.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #44 on: February 21, 2005, 11:28:41 AM

You make me sad. I own Van Helsing on DVD and quite enjoy it for what it is: mindless entertainment.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: February 22, 2005, 02:12:04 AM

You make me sad. I own Van Helsing on DVD and quite enjoy it for what it is: mindless entertainment.

Van Helsing took mindlessness to new levels.  I could quite literally see synapses and neurons being dragged out of my head and floating towards the cinema screen when I went.  It was bad.  It could only be worse if they'd cast The Count from Sesame Street.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #46 on: February 22, 2005, 02:17:48 AM

Van Helsing took mindlessness to new levels.  I could quite literally see synapses and neurons being dragged out of my head and floating towards the cinema screen when I went.  It was bad.  It could only be worse if they'd cast The Count from Sesame Street.

You are a cinema snob. You and schild should room together so you can screw each other in the ass while quoting lines from Jim Jarmusch films.
schild
Administrator

Reply #47 on: February 22, 2005, 02:19:40 AM

I'm not too keen on the screwing in the ass part, but you only wish you could quote lines from Coffee and Cigarettes.

Fucking Philistine.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #48 on: February 22, 2005, 02:41:04 AM

"What's a Philistine?"
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #49 on: February 22, 2005, 05:22:07 AM

Artsy Fartsy Film Snobbery ftw!!!

See, my sweet Erical lad... I'm not the only one who's noticed!   tongue

On a side note:  I thought Van Helsing was poo, too.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: February 22, 2005, 06:41:47 AM

You are a cinema snob. You and schild should room together so you can screw each other in the ass while quoting lines from Jim Jarmusch films.

You're not correct.  One of my better cinema experiences was seeing Predator 2 for the first time.  I'm by no means a cinema snob and, frankly, shouldn't even be put in the same sentence as Schild whom, I'm hoping, is actually going to grow up one of these days.  Or possibly inherit some taste.  wink

Case in Point :  I have no idea who the hell Jim whatshischops is.

However, that doesn't negate the opinion:  Van Helsing was a Baaaaaad movie.  Really, really terrible.  It didn't even make any internal sense.  It was awful and the only reason I can think of anyone liking it is if they have a real thing for Jackman or Beckinsale.  Hell, LXG was better and it scraped !

When it comes to music and films, I have a wide range of tastes - I'll usually like anything.  But I know what I don't like....

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #51 on: February 22, 2005, 07:27:45 AM

Van Helsing was bad. You don't even have to know movies to know it was bad. If it was the only movie you ever saw, and you had nothing to compare it to ever, you could still proclaim it utter shite.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #52 on: February 22, 2005, 07:38:38 AM

Jim Jaramusch is a boring art fag. I've been able to sit through one of his movies in all, the rest just made me fall asleep.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #53 on: February 22, 2005, 07:43:25 AM

You have to wonder about a lot of these movies.  They spend a fortune on them but seem to neglect every thing but the glittery bits.  The dialogs are wretched, there is hardly any character development (which I think is really important, especially in these comic book - fantasy sorts of films),  and they must pay the directors to sit and drink coffee at the local Starbucks or something.  I enjoyed the Spiderman and Batman films, for the most part, and it seems they spent a lot more attention to those things.   Although many of them have adult content, the fact that the plots suck, the acting stinks and the dialogs are mostly inane witterings, seem to suggest they are either geared towards or created by small children who don't care for anything but shiny bits.  I really enjoy the shiny, too, but it would be nice to have all the other bits along with them. 

I don't envy the job that Haemish and the others have taken on.  I notice that many times they save their reviews for the DvD release... even they don't want to spend any dosh on what they know will be a waste of popcorn money.

Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #54 on: February 22, 2005, 02:39:41 PM

I enjoyed the Spiderman and Batman films

I'm sure you didn't mean this one, though.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #55 on: February 22, 2005, 02:57:11 PM

I enjoyed the Spiderman and Batman films

I'm sure you didn't mean this one, though.

Heh... that is the one I didn't see.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Brunei, "Your film is no good for us." Keanu, "Whoa."  
Jump to: