Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:59:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Stocks, bonds and investing 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stocks, bonds and investing  (Read 101897 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #385 on: January 03, 2018, 01:43:09 PM

Did you guys sell your Intel stock yet?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #386 on: January 03, 2018, 02:44:28 PM

Another wrinkle in your favor is that with the loss of the SALT deduction keeping that mortgage alive ain't worth as much anymore.

The mortgage deduction shouldn't impact most people:
The mortgage interest deduction can only be taken on mortgage debt of up to $750,000, down from $1 million currently. This only applies to mortgages taken after Dec. 15, 2017, preexisting mortgages are grandfathered in. And the interest on home equity debt can no longer be deducted at all, whereas up to $100,000 in home equity debt could be considered.

The biggest change for the "average" person is that you can't deduct interest from the home equity anymore. Which actually sorta makes sense, since most people probably don't use it for home improvements anyways these days.

Regarding SALT (different from mortgage deductions):
Perhaps the most controversial aspect of tax reform on the individual side was the fate of the SALT deduction. Early versions of the bill proposed eliminating the deduction (which stands for "state and local taxes"), which didn't sit well with some key Republicans in high-tax states.

The final version of the bill keeps the deduction, but limits the total deductible amount to $10,000, including income, sales, and property taxes.

From the same article, here's a good kick in the balls when you are already down:
Finally, the threshold for the medical expenses deduction has been reduced from 10% of AGI to 7.5% of AGI. In other words, if your adjusted gross income is $50,000, you can now deduct any unreimbursed medical expenses over $3,750, not $5,000 as set by prior tax law. Unlike most other provisions in the bill, this is retroactive to the 2017 tax year.

(From the Fool.com tax changes article)

- Viin
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #387 on: January 03, 2018, 02:54:17 PM

I read somewhere that the Intel CEO did....in November around the time MS released the fix for today's insanity to the insider channel   why so serious?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #388 on: January 03, 2018, 04:57:27 PM

Are you referring to this

I'm just not convinced that any digital/computer device can be made completely safe from hacking.  Hence why I'm not real keen on the idea of self driving cars.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #389 on: January 03, 2018, 06:39:52 PM

Any of you more adventurous traders gotten fabulously rich over the last year?

I've invested in several major pieces over the last 18 months, the grand total of which is up about 13% counting dividends. Not fabulously rich by any means, but I take a very steady approach to the whole affair and live by a few simple rules:

1 - Use mostly mutual funds to diversify risk. Target funds with lowest fees. (I like Med Tech, Blue Chip Growth, OTC, and Balanced funds)
2 - Put more than 50% into index funds which will by nature have the lowest fees, and you basically get to ride the returns of the market. (I'm in Nasdaq & SP500)
3 - Put some of the money into lower return funds that produce dividend and income. Reinvest that into the funds. (I'm in Fidelity Dividend and Income)
4 - Pick one stock you like for a purpose. Like you specifically buy it and target a price or a date, you get to either one of those and you sell. I'm in SBUX as an example.

There you go.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #390 on: January 04, 2018, 06:31:09 AM

Are you referring to this?

Yes, but for this thread mostly that the Intel CEO sold 1.5 million shares.  Also, AMD says they are not affected per https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/12/27/2 which kinda gives some idea of how it works.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #391 on: January 04, 2018, 06:41:39 AM

I'm not being adventurous at all.  I did have quite a bit of cash waiting for a bargain, and at some point I realized I was going to be waiting a while due to the 12% return overall I was getting.  So we took that cash, sold a few things that might be overvalued, and loaned the cash to people we know to use for their businesses for 10% interest.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #392 on: January 04, 2018, 06:49:35 AM

Emotions are a big part of it. It's your money! Another wrinkle in your favor is that with the loss of the SALT deduction keeping that mortgage alive ain't worth as much anymore.

Make sure you save those mortgage payments once they stop.
It took me a couple years to stash away those 'payments' into savings, but holy shit THIS. And to be fair, most of the money in the interim was used to pay down various little debts I'd built up over the first five years of home ownership, mostly my truck...and even that debt I'd been bouncing around to 0 interest accounts for very small transaction fees...just got tired of keeping track of that web of crap.

As someone living completely debt free, I will say that a huge benefit of paying off the mortgage asap is that you have security. Since my job is exposed to political decision-making (and we're seeing how that can go on the national stage), security means a lot to me. Also why those 'payments' are going into a shitty savings account so I can pull it out as needed.

Actually, we started that savings setup as part of a thing the fiancee was nuts about a few years back, because she thinks we can't afford anything at all, mortgage-wise. So she had some formula from a financial tv guy she likes, saying 1/3 of your paycheck should go toward housing. I started putting that away, which was actually about 30% more than I had been spending on PITI...I assume she's doing the same, but who knows, she doesn't open the books. Anyway, I only pull my taxes and insurance out of that account and it is growing nicely, even on my shitty salary...but it's getting to the point where I wouldn't mind some of that sweet compound interest.

I wish rates would jack back up to double digits, I hate borrowing money and like saving to interest-bearing accounts rather than gambling with the shitty herd mentality of wall street. It would also punch a hole in this stupid debt society we live in where you can't sensibly buy a house because some chuckleheads just keep flipping the values higher and higher because other chuckleheads can borrow and everyone wins, right? My area is losing jobs and wealth and somehow housing is almost double what it was when I bought...in 2008. I guess I'll stop before I get into reforming bankruptcy and foreclosure rules...  why so serious?
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #393 on: January 04, 2018, 07:19:10 AM

...but it's getting to the point where I wouldn't mind some of that sweet compound interest.

You might look into a high interest savings account that make it easy to move money out, such as CapitalOne360.
ING has an interesting account you might like (2.8%): https://www.ing.com.au/savings/savings-maximiser.html
Just realized that was AU only. Bummer. 1.3% is the highest at Capital right now, but there are other options.

We keep some emergency money in our primary bank's savings account and the rest of our cash savings is in a Vanguard brokerage account invested in a 50/50 stock/bond mix. Getting the money out of the Vanguard account takes 3-5 days to sell/ACH transfer to our checking account.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 07:40:30 AM by Viin »

- Viin
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #394 on: January 22, 2018, 10:43:37 PM

Just seen a certain internet currency referred to as "Dunning-Krugerrands" and laughed out loud.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #395 on: January 23, 2018, 05:45:50 AM

Just seen a certain internet currency referred to as "Dunning-Krugerrands" and laughed out loud.

My boss put a bunch of money in those Dunning-Krugerrands near the height of the madness. I don't think he'll ask my opinion about it again after all the laughter.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #396 on: January 23, 2018, 08:34:05 AM

Serious question.  Linus is alleging Intel is not telling Microsoft everything:  http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1801.2/04628.html
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #397 on: January 29, 2018, 08:51:28 PM

My boss put a bunch of money in those Dunning-Krugerrands near the height of the madness. I don't think he'll ask my opinion about it again after all the laughter.

Finally, a shitcoin that tells it like it is: http://ponzicoin.co

Edit: and another
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 12:21:58 AM by Tale »
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #398 on: January 31, 2018, 02:09:23 AM

Finally, a shitcoin that tells it like it is: http://ponzicoin.co

The saddest quote from that site

This has gotten crazy out of hand, I apologize but we will no longer be selling PonziCoin on this site because this was a joke. I cannot terminate the contract but I will not be selling any coins that I own. For clarification, I did NOT profit from this: the contract got depleted by other people selling their coins, I did not "take off with the money" and I never sold my coins, you can easily verify this on Etherscan.

Even when you tell the twats that this is a joke they still buy it up like its the next coming of Joseph Smith.

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Stocks, bonds and investing  
Jump to: