Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:27:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Improvements to Bot Games 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Improvements to Bot Games  (Read 17953 times)
K9
Terracotta Army

on: January 25, 2012, 02:39:23 AM

Patch Preview: Rise of the Bot Army

I have never played co-op vs AI, although I do sometimes play custom games just to futz around. I get the impression that a fairly hefty chunk of the playerbase plays these games, perhaps even exclusively, and so offering improvements to them seems like a good move.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 02:48:53 AM

Being one of those who plays bot games exclusively, this is the best news I've seen in LoL since I started playing it.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 03:33:07 AM

Being one of those who plays bot games exclusively, this is the best news I've seen in LoL since I started playing it.

What the fuck is wrong with you ?  ACK!

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 03:49:33 AM

I don't know. I have yet to get bored with it even after 300 victories or so. In my games there is usually someone who has even more victories than me so I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 08:33:12 AM

A friend of mine enjoyed playing against bots in Battlefield. We were pretty relentless about blazing him about it at our last LAN party. Now, I am older and will still call you a vag. ;)

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 11:00:12 AM

Bot games are where I go to relax, or where I pop in if I just want to get my daily 150 bonus quick with no hassle. The drama and bullshit quotients are quite low because the enemy team neither boasts nor whines, never ragequits, and can't surrender.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 11:20:15 AM

I have a whole 2 bot games to my name.  Heh.  I just don't see the point of playing one to completion.  This might be more interesting, but I don't think they mentioned that bots will jungle.

Improved AI might make for better custom practice games.  So, there's that.  Last hitting against something that isn't completely braindead and charges at you like Haemish on tilt would be a welcome change.

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 12:08:49 PM

that isn't completely braindead and charges at you like Haemish on tilt

Do I have any other setting?  why so serious?

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 02:14:50 PM

I see bot games in the tribunal far more often then seems possible. The whole thing is just so strange to me.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 02:24:19 PM

What the fuck is wrong with you ?  ACK!

I enjoyed bot games much more than public games, myself.  Public games have all the problems of a WOW pug and at least twice the assholes.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 02:39:47 PM

As if anybody needs to tell this gang that PvE is more popular than PvP.

As satisfying as it is to win against long odds, or to lose a close fight against a capable opponent... it really sucks to lose because one team member feeds or quits or jungles poorly. There's not a lot of challenge in a bot fight, but a win is all but guaranteed and it's impossible for one or even two poor players to hijack the whole team. I also can't overstate how pleasant it is not to have any cross-talk. Nobody even feels obliged to say "gg". Fairly frequently nobody says anything at all: There's not thought of cs, no MIA reports, no laying of wards, and no real jungling. The bots never go for either the dragon or the baron, either.

Cooperation is just more comfortable than competition. Most people want to play a game in order to relax, not to get hyped up. If either the bot improvements make them difficult enough that players start having to communicate or they make it so the bots start winning regularly, I imagine bot games will become less popular rather than more. Ideally they're just expanding which modes are available and adding some more champs to the rotation.

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 08:24:43 PM

The bots aim their skill shots better, play more conservatively in the opening game, and there are 40 possible champs rather than 10. They also pick a larger variety of summoner spells and go pick up jungle buffs on their own.

Things require a little more thought, but not enough that they stomp PUGs all the time. I am suitably impressed.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 12:38:22 AM

Fiddlesticks bot is as evil as Annie bot was. If you are caught out of position withanything less than full health and he ults then you are toast. I haven't come up against the new Annie bot but if they tweaked her then I'm going to cower in the fountain (I seem to be a Tibbers magnet).

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 01:05:30 AM

Malzahar bot is pretty nasty.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 08:05:50 AM

Bot games are where I go to relax, or where I pop in if I just want to get my daily 150 bonus quick with no hassle. The drama and bullshit quotients are quite low because the enemy team neither boasts nor whines, never ragequits, and can't surrender.

Yup this is pretty much how I use them. Good way to learn a new champ in a low drama setting or to just bang out my 150IP bonus for the day. That said the new bots are a pretty darn good challange brand bot is freaking vicious. That bot does not screw up his combos if you are in range prepare to eat hot flaming doom.
Muffled
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 12:01:06 AM

That's the strongest point of most of the bots, they land their combos nearly instantly and without fail.  They've improved to the point where I actually have to pay attention in lane in my 'take the new champ out for a spin' games, it's fun.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 05:02:06 PM

The strategic AI on the bots fascinates me. So far as I can tell they have a set of ranked priorities: protect the base, protect towers, level up, gank vulnerable players, push lanes. They prefer to work in teams, gear defensively, and they want the players to win. I can't emphasize the latter enough. The absolute last thing they will do is push, and only if absolutely everything else is completely safe and there aren't any players on their half of the map.

The only way to lose to the AI is for the entire team to feed to the point that they cannot survive the AI ganks, and thus spend enough time dead that the AI can push towers. Even then, a single player running up and pushing the top lane can pull THE ENTIRE AI TEAM AWAY FROM KNOCKING DOWN THE LAST TWO TOWERS.

So the intermediate bots do a nice job of punishing you for making stupid mistakes in tactical combat, but their overall strategy is not one you'll ever see any players try. For good reason.

Also, Karthus Bot makes his ult look godly in the same way Shen Bot overemphasizes the usefulness of his.

Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 06:09:52 AM

I've been on a team that lost to the bots, but from extremely stupid play.  A more challenging bot game is Dominion.  That is not always a win when pug'ing.  2 clueless players will result in a loss and that seems to be a high risk from my experience.

I finally figured out the customer game thing last night.  Spent the entire evening trying out each of the free champs 1v1 against a bot.  This is also a good way for my son and me to play together without distraction. 

Actually, that last point is kind of funny (and humbling.)  I only played once, but my 10 year old seemed to play better than me already (he's been playing on his own without my help for a week.)  Cripes....
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 11:05:53 AM

Just disable text for the young lad or..........

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 04:23:26 PM

I gave up worrying about that long ago.  He's used to that.  Hell, he's been playing console fps since black ops.  Full voice obscenities aren't new.  I have an understanding with my 8 and 10 year old boys on this.  They get it.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 06:41:45 AM

A friend got us into this last night and most of my crew is now playing. We have been running bot matches to help us learn the game.

Surprisingly, sometimes it feels as if some of the bots have a small "Grief the shit out of player X", they almost have an agenda.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 10:42:59 AM

I believe the bots keep track of who dies quickly to their abilities (based on their armor and magic resist) and will preferentially target that person in a group fight. If you're playing a glass cannon, they'll know. Also, their ability to instantly retarget in order to kill a low-health player that wanders by while they're casually attacking somebody else can feel a little unfair.

Buy some defensive items and keep your health up.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 10:46:09 AM

Play vs. people; they can't prioritize for shit.

-Rasix
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 01:13:20 PM

That too. I've been happily killing with Twitch a lot recently, and I thought I'd try him in a bot game because I wanted a quick, low-stress victory before I headed to work.

Nope.

Players are surprised by stealth and behave irrationally for a few precious seconds. Bots just hit all their abilities in the right sequence and kill you.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Improvements to Bot Games  
Jump to: