Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 07:20:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: Seems like this is doing pretty well. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Seems like this is doing pretty well.  (Read 16600 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

on: January 19, 2012, 09:36:05 AM

And I must say, iterative or not I am very happy for Hartsman and for a team that has been able to deliver something good, stable, playable, mostly bugless, captivating and with enough innovation between the lines to put to shame many more acknowledged software houses.

Anyway, apparently the game earned 100M so far and got lots of fundings. Good for them.

RIFT revenues reached $100 million in 2011, Trion secures new funding

by Jef Reahard  on Jan 19th 2012 11:30AM

How successful is RIFT? That's hard to say without knowing how much it cost, but it's safe to assume that Trion executives are smiling after the game generated $100 million in revenue in only 10 months.

CEO Lars Buttler told Reuters that the company is still considering an initial public stock offering, and it has also secured an additional $85 million in funding as it readies RIFT for the South Korean and Chinese gaming markets later this year. Trion is also developing an MMO shooter called Defiance and an MMORTS known as End of Nations.

Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/19/rift-revenues-reached-100-million-in-2011-trion-secures-new-fu/

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 09:47:02 AM

I'm delighted for Trion's success.  I hope that the new funding leads to another, better project.  This team definitely has talent.  No doubt there.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 09:56:55 AM

I love the project. Much more than I love SWTOR. What I missed and miss, fuck, was just something more about PvP. The world bosses and the pvp rifts were good starts, but it always feel like they (all the mmo teams) can't go beyond the simplest ideas when it comes to PvP.

Only reason I left Rift is because PvP was going absolutely nowhere. But I loved every second of it, and I could totally go back if they implemented something meaningful somehow.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 10:16:56 AM

Only reason I left Rift is because PvP was going absolutely nowhere. But I loved every second of it, and I could totally go back if they implemented something meaningful somehow.

Reasons I left:

1) Hated doing rifts.  Repetitive and dull

2) Got tired of running the same heroics and their incredibly limited loot tables.

3) Pvp got stale.

4) The constant shifts in class balance let me know that the devs hadn't given enough time and thought to balancing the soul trees.  This made pvp a problem. 

5) The role of gear in pvp was too pronounced.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 06:59:42 AM

They've got the talent to put out a solid game.  Hopefully this enables them to experiment a bit more in their future offerings.  If they can we should see some great things from them in the future.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 07:37:44 AM

Keep an eye out for Defiance.  They are using the same technology in the "dynamic" content like Rifts.  Maybe some of the lessons learned will get passed on.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 08:17:44 AM

I was playing this again due to the free trial and I think it's not so much the bland world as much as it is the one button gameplay. I found a rift and really quickly realized it didn't matter if I remembered what my abilities did, i just needed to mash the one button with the macro that fires everything on it.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 09:09:50 AM

You could always not play with a one-button macro  Ohhhhh, I see.

I didn't like how it diluted the gameplay, so I didn't use them. Sure, you might perform slightly worse than other players, but it's hardly going to matter for most activities. If it makes the game more enjoyable for you, it's worth doing.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 09:15:04 AM

You could always not play with a one-button macro  Ohhhhh, I see.

Sure, and if I really wanted to play hardcore, I'd just throw my keyboard out the window and use a Mac 1-button mouse  swamp poop

Numtini has the point.  Combat needs to have meaningful abilities, not just the same BS that I can stack everything into one button for.

Post edit: How high level have you gotten, Rokal?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 09:19:17 AM by luckton »

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 09:40:43 AM

Depends on the class... I was definitely rocking the 1-button macro (+ a lot of situational abilities, maybe 7-8 that saw constant use) on my warrior in dps mode, but it was a different story when tanking. On my healer the only abilities I macroed onto one button were my instant nukes - which I didn't use that often anyway.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 09:51:21 PM

I'm really happy to see them doing so well.   I might not feel like playing the game but they are clearly far more competent and deserving of success than the big boys.
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 03:37:38 PM

I went the middle route with Macro's... grouped them by function.  Ultimately if I have a good "builder" ability on a 15sec cooldown, I do want to use it when available...but I'm not that interested in having to watch my bars for it to light up.  Macro system was great for that...and for reactionaries.  While the one-button Macro was certainly an option, I didn't see it adding as much value as simply optimizing my abilities so everything fit on my easily accessible Number Pad.  TOR could learn a few things here.

Admittedly, changing specs (i.e. new, new specs) required a fair bit of set-up time when you first created your special snowflake... but then the macro editor was so solid, I didn't half mind.  Again, two more things TOR could learn here.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 03:51:56 PM

Post edit: How high level have you gotten, Rokal?
I got a cleric to 50. It was a bit easier to say no to macros on a character that was primarily a healer, which is a more reactionary role and didn't have a rotation that was best 100% of the time and could be mapped to a macro. That said, I didn't have any problems playing the game without macros while leveling or solo'ing with an inquisicar spec. I also played a a Nightblade/BD to 45 without any macros.
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 07:52:56 AM

I prefer 1-button macro to TOR/EQ2 style "here's 60 abilities to spam manually" but both systems suck pretty hard.  I think wow strikes a fairly reasonable balance, at least for most classes.  But it's a hard line to draw.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 09:26:28 AM

Question: for a newly minted 50 with quest/crafted greens/blues... what kind of solo activity is available/added in the past couple of updates?

I resubbed for a month to check-out 1.7 (and because I have more fun thinking about Soul combinations than I do playing TOR)... so far I have (re-)discovered:
1. Chronicles (2-man still too hard for me solo)
2. Instant adventure (Zerging normals?)
3. Weird Stillmoor dailies that are rather un-fun.

I'm a little negative on what I'm seeing (not much [real] change for soloers from 1.4 to 1.7)... but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.  Please point me in the right direction.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 10:12:58 AM

The Chronicles were recently nerfed a tad. Many of the elite mobs were changed to high HP normal mobs. Note that the HK chronicle is much easier than the GSB.

Unfortunately, no one really does the instant adventures so it's not zerging so much. They are all old world mobs, but some of the mechanics are neat and can be slightly entertaining. They do seem to have upped the drop rate for inscribed crystals slightly as well. The XP has been bumped slightly as well to make them not terribly poor cousins to the Ember Isle Onslaughts.

Speaking of Ember Isle, it is there. There are 11 available onslaught daily quests. They are pretty standard kill 20 thing quests, however the implementation makes for a more entertaining experience than expected. These are planar invasion hotspots. They have defenses that you can use planar charges to upgrade. There's the arch in the middle which can be upgraded to increase outgoing damage by 50% and reduce incoming damage by 50%. There are 4 turrets that make for very good tanks and 4 healing well things that act as hots.

There are also a number of Ember Isle daily quests. There are 6 or 7 from the neutral faction, 1 from your faction and 1 from your isle faction group. This set of dailies are all really easy and mostly serve to direct you to onslaught locations.

Shimmersand and Stillmoor both have their odd daily quests. I would say that the Shimmer ones are slightly more fun. They take you out to the Firesand desert and the mob density there is slightly less.

You did say you are a solo player, but the LFG thing is not bad. They are now offering top tier marks, so you get a fair number of raiders in the que for their dailies. They have recently folded all of the expert dungeons into a single group so its no longer getting just the same boring T2s. There is the new semi winged Caduceus Rise dungeon as well in the group. If you ask, most people will attempt just about any of the dungeon achievements that are reasonable for pugs.

There are also two brand new raid weekly quests. One for the 10 man and one for the 20 man. This was the first week and the 10 man was kill the second boss in Gilded Prophecy and the 20 was kill the second and third bosses in GSB.

There is also the weekly zone event quest to complete 4 zone events.

And then there is the whole Planar Attunement thing. It gives some feeling of purpose to the grinding beyond just collecting sourcestones.
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 10:45:40 AM

Thanks... how do I get to ember isle?  I saw it on the map but just assumed it was a Raid zone and don't seem to have a bread-crumb quest there.

I'll try HK... GSB was the one I kept trying (I suppose because it is first on list?) and I didn't know there was any difference in difficulty.

I like to make sure the solo world has enough for me to do before I look for grouping; now that I've downloaded the [new?] Rift-healer add-on, I'll likely do some groups.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 11:06:42 AM

Thanks... how do I get to ember isle?  I saw it on the map but just assumed it was a Raid zone and don't seem to have a bread-crumb quest there.

I'll try HK... GSB was the one I kept trying (I suppose because it is first on list?) and I didn't know there was any difference in difficulty.

I like to make sure the solo world has enough for me to do before I look for grouping; now that I've downloaded the [new?] Rift-healer add-on, I'll likely do some groups.

There should be a portal outside the main city that takes you to ember Isle. Probably best to just ask in-game, I'm not sure what faction you're playing. After you've been to ember island once, you can use the normal portals to travel to and from it.

Your build is going to have a huge impact on your ability to solo as well. Given that you mentioned a healer addon, I'm guessing you're playing a cleric? Try out an inquisicar build for solo'ing and see if you have better luck.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 11:48:53 AM

I have no clue how Defiants get to EI. For Guardians, the port is right under the bridge out of Sanctum. You can either jump off the bridge, getting half of that achievement, or cross the bridge out of Sanctum hang a left toward that Defiant foothold that is usually up, stop to kill them because the heretics should die, and take the path that shows up.

For the new River of Souls chronicle, the daily quest inside the daily quest gives you a thing to charm a mob who can then tank for you if you want. I picked one of the elite golems and it did well for me.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 11:51:40 AM by dd0029 »
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: Seems like this is doing pretty well.  
Jump to: