Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:05:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MLB 2012 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MLB 2012  (Read 164137 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #875 on: October 27, 2012, 08:30:10 PM

So it hasn't burned us, but starting Sanchez at DH is so goddamn stupid.  Heartbreak

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #876 on: October 27, 2012, 08:46:07 PM

This has not gone the way I expected it to go so far.

God Save the Horn Players
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #877 on: October 28, 2012, 02:30:19 PM

Just go ahead and sweep them so I can get the regularly scheduled FOX programming back for the week.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #878 on: October 28, 2012, 08:52:31 PM

OK!

Also I am so happy for Romo.  Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #879 on: October 28, 2012, 09:13:10 PM

(yes, its from game 2, but cant find any game 4 gifs yet, and it fits).
Man, you almost had that prediction perfect except for one small part.   awesome, for real

And condolences Slayerik.  You had a nice team this year, and if the Giants or A's weren't still in it, I would have been happy to see them win.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #880 on: October 28, 2012, 09:30:36 PM

Here, Teleku:

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #881 on: October 28, 2012, 09:46:16 PM

Congrats, Giants.  Detroit tried to put up a fight but it didn't work for them.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #882 on: October 29, 2012, 12:58:30 AM

I swear every time I second guess something Bochy does it works out somehow. Theriot at DH?

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #883 on: October 29, 2012, 08:49:41 AM

Giants were a complete team. Just a little bit of bat and Tigs had a shot, but alas .170 in the series...pfffft.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #884 on: October 29, 2012, 11:37:11 AM

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #885 on: October 29, 2012, 03:09:07 PM

Demonstrating what a joke the Gold Gloves are sometimes, Ian Desmond is a finalist at SS while Brandon Crawford is not.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #886 on: October 29, 2012, 03:10:28 PM

Derek Jeter is the poster-child for undeserved Gold Glove awards.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #887 on: October 29, 2012, 08:25:33 PM

Maybe - but he really was one of the only damn players on the Yankees that seemed to realize it was postseason and was playing with any type of passion. 
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #888 on: October 30, 2012, 08:54:13 AM

Maybe - but he really was one of the only damn players on the Yankees that seemed to realize it was postseason and was playing with any type of passion. 

Maybe - but I heard the Chevy Volt owners really love their cars.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #889 on: November 14, 2012, 01:03:51 PM

Nate Silver weighs in on the American League MVP selection:

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/the-statistical-case-against-cabrera-for-m-v-p/

Summary: Looking at advanced stats Trout was the more valuable player compared to Cabrera
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #890 on: November 14, 2012, 04:03:57 PM

Price over Verlander for the Cy Young is a bad call.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #891 on: November 14, 2012, 04:17:11 PM

Price over Verlander for the Cy Young is a bad call.

Better ERA, Better ground ball rate, similar batting average on balls in play. Verlander pitched more innings and had more Ks.

What's your case? Random sabermetric stats or something actual?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #892 on: November 14, 2012, 04:21:22 PM

27 more innings pitched. That's the equivalent of 3 complete games. With all the other numbers being similar, that makes him significantly more valuable.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #893 on: November 15, 2012, 04:00:32 PM

Cabrera wins AL MVP. It wasn't close either, getting 22 of 28 first place votes. Oh, and Posey wins NL MVP.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #894 on: November 16, 2012, 09:20:47 AM

MVP Voters love playoffs and the triple crown. WHO KNEW?!!?!?!!?  why so serious?

cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #895 on: November 16, 2012, 09:55:55 AM

27 more innings pitched. That's the equivalent of 3 complete games. With all the other numbers being similar, that makes him significantly more valuable.

I'm a homer, let me start by saying that.  Also, I thought Verlander would win.

I heard an interesting analysis of Price's innings and wins were against a better average quality opponent than Verlander.  He faced Sabbathia something like 3 times during the season.  That's crazy!

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #896 on: November 16, 2012, 10:02:23 AM

And means absolutely nothing.

-Rasix
WayAbvPar

Reply #897 on: November 16, 2012, 11:10:57 AM

As usual, Drew nails it. The Albom quotes remind me of some of the things I have seen posted in this very thread.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #898 on: November 16, 2012, 11:20:19 AM

Look, Miggy won the Triple Crown. It doesn't matter what stats are used, the people WHO VOTE for the MVP were never going to ignore that, even if Trout was probably more deserving.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #899 on: November 16, 2012, 11:29:16 AM

He won the triple crown and got his team to the playoffs. If you're going to win MVP, to me you should be at least in the post-season, especially with the expanded nature of the playoffs now.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #900 on: November 16, 2012, 11:31:27 AM

Weakest division in baseball, worse record than Trout's team. I don't think we should give the MVP candidates extra credit/blame for things that are 100% out of their control.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #901 on: November 16, 2012, 11:36:36 AM

Weakest division in baseball, worse record than Trout's team. I don't think we should give the MVP candidates extra credit/blame for things that are 100% out of their control.

That's not the nature of the award. It's not "the best player in baseball". It's the MOST VALUABLE player in baseball. Trout may be better, but was he as valuable as Cabrera? Detroit made the playoffs by 3 games. Even using a stat I hate: WAR, you could say the reason they were 3 games up or more was due to Cabrera. Thus, not having Cabrera would be the difference in making the playoffs or not by a wide margin.

What was the difference in Trout or no Trout? How was he more valuable when you didn't succeed as a team in making the playoffs with or without him? Also, I don't buy the weak division stuff. The NL West was the weakest division in that league, and they won the Series with the MVP as well.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #902 on: November 16, 2012, 11:38:45 AM

WAR - by definition - measures value. So yeah I'm not going to buy into the guy with less WAR is more valuable because he happened to play in a shitty division, lucky him.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #903 on: November 16, 2012, 11:41:10 AM

WAR - by definition - measures value. So yeah I'm not going to buy into the guy with less WAR is more valuable because he happened to play in a shitty division, lucky him.

You can't be that valuable if your team doesn't even make the playoffs. Sorry. You can be better than other players, but not valuable.

WayAbvPar

Reply #904 on: November 16, 2012, 11:59:11 AM

THE ANGELS WON 1 MORE GAME THAN THE TIGERS IN A TOUGHER DIVISION. By your logic, the best player on the Nationals should have won the MVP, since his team won their division and had the most wins in baseball. Or the Yankees, since we are talking about the AL.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #905 on: November 16, 2012, 12:01:58 PM

Or alternately, any random player on the Tigers who's amount of WAR was greater than the amount by which they won the division could have been MVP. Doug Fister, MVP.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #906 on: November 16, 2012, 12:11:39 PM

He was the highest WAR on the team. Therefore most valuable on that team by that stupid stat. That team made the playoffs. He got the MVP.

The logic's not hard. Hell, I could make a case for Cano more than I can make one for Trout.

All wins aren't equal. If you don't make the playoffs you were just as valuable to your team as anybody else sitting home in October. You didn't matter. The result was exactly the same as if you didn't exist.

WayAbvPar

Reply #907 on: November 16, 2012, 12:15:51 PM

The logic's not hard

Because there is none. Are you actually Mitch Albom?

All wins aren't equal

If that is the case, then surely winning more games while playing a tougher schedule is worth more, yes?

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #908 on: November 16, 2012, 12:18:07 PM

All wins aren't equal. If you don't make the playoffs you were just as valuable to your team as anybody else sitting home in October. You didn't matter. The result was exactly the same as if you didn't exist.

That is the stupidest fucking thing I have read today.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #909 on: November 16, 2012, 12:21:28 PM

The logic is simple. I find it incredibly stupid to say that the most valuable person in a league didn't exist on the 33% of teams that actually made the playoffs.

Winning games is meaningless if you don't make the playoffs. You can't be more valuable than somebody on a team who got the job done.

EDIT: Verducci explains the point well - http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tom_verducci/11/16/cabrera-trout-mvp-marlins-blue-jays-trade-loria/
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 12:28:54 PM by Paelos »

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MLB 2012  
Jump to: