Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:25:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Dark Ascension Card Discussion. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dark Ascension Card Discussion.  (Read 11909 times)
schild
Administrator

on: January 10, 2012, 10:07:34 AM

Jar of Eyeballs is a terrible piece of shit that won't see play in any format. EDH isn't a format. It's a different game that happens to use Magic cards.

Strangleroot Geist is likely the best undying creature we'll see.

Everything else has been awful, discuss.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 10:15:20 AM

Wait, spoilers are out?  I just checked last weekend and nada.

Red careful study with flashback is AMAZING, and could see play in every format.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 10:21:33 AM

Yea, but Faithless Looting was announced 2 months to be packaged with volume 2 of the comic book. Almost doesn't even count as a spoiler anymore.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 05:42:45 PM

Yea, but Faithless Looting was announced 2 months to be packaged with volume 2 of the comic book. Almost doesn't even count as a spoiler anymore.

Yeah, you and I discussed it on Steam. 

Hmm.

Undying looks like a potentially broken mechanic, if the creature attached to it is reasonably costed.  Either in aggro, or as an aggro/control piece.  Nothing like playing creatures that get bigger after board clearing....  or getting your creature back after targetting it with pod.

Ghoultree looks like it has potential.  Mechanics that cheat cost are always potentially broken, and between Ravings and Forbidden Alc and other sifters?  Even has potential in dredge decks to replace things that caught a ban.  Another potential addition to pod, as late game it can come down for G.

The token effects in white have potential, considering tokens was already a (mediocre) archetype between the pump effects and the fact we still have great equipment.  Soul Sisters has been putting up some results in Modern as well, and token generation fits into that and WW.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 06:16:04 AM

New Sorin clearly designed to take advantage of all the weenie tokens in the block:

I always look at planeswalkers as "what can I do on the turn I play it, before it gets nuked?" Is it worth four mana for an Orcish Oriflamme that can't be removed?

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 06:45:18 AM

That card may have been designed because this set became Tokens matter. But that's not what the card will shine in. He's a strictly worse Garruk Relentless in that respect.

That fucker right there is going to be an all-star in Esper Control.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 05:53:57 PM

For Planeswalkers accepted Common Wisdom:

- Casting Cost matters.  4 is generally seen as the cutoff between a great walker and a mediocre or situational walker.
- Defense matters.  Walkers that come down with a why to defend themselves have proven to be more durable than others (Elspeths, Garrucks, new Lil)
- Having a plus ability that also defends is a big plus.
- The second ability is a permanent plus to offense.  This means that it sticks around even if the walker is taken care of so you are ahead even if immediately gone.  If it's allowed to stick around, even chumps can become permanent threats.
- The second ability also powers an alpha strike.
- The lifegain on tokens is ancilliary, but potentially game saving in situations against aggro.
- The final is powerful, though it is limited against control strategies.  An ultimate should seal a game for you, and his does.

As Schild says, in Esper control where you are relying on Delvers it ups your clock and helps your control strategy out-race other strategies.

The major downside is the color committment.
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 06:15:48 AM

Speaking of Esper, among other things (like Heartless Summoning, Priest of Ubarask and Devil's Play), this lich is absolutely bonkers:

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 06:17:59 PM

Strangleroot Geist is likely the best undying creature we'll see.

Vorapede looks pretty fucking good for a green undying beater, in a format where G/R beats (Wolf-run) and G/x Ramp have put up results off and on.  Not even a board clearing saves you.

Yah, the downside is the casting cost which is crowded for green.
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 06:57:46 PM

He won't replace Primeval or Solemn, so he's going to be worth nothing until M12 rotates. By then Kessig will be way past its prime, which it is - now - with this silly runechanter's pike bullshit running around.

He doesn't fit into tokentown/dicetown and won't be shoved into any green deck as that slot is far better for Big or Little Garruk.

Wrong mythic, wrong time.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 02:47:14 PM

1.  He might not make the cut in established decks, but he is good enough and brings enough to the table to be in the debate.  Casting cost is mildly prohibitive, but Green can swing that.  At worst, he's going to see play as tech...  vigilance might actually be useful in the face of aggro strategies.

2.  Undying seems to be the way of giving R and G card advantage without just giving them draw.  Especially in Pod decks, you have a host of G critters that you can sac to pod and generate advantage (Emissary, Simulacrum, Undying).  Saccing a Simulacrum to Pod to ramp, draw a card, and get a legit threat to end the game that is difficult to deal with seems like a good play.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 09:38:54 PM

Just hopped back into check out the new set and played 2 drafts.  Man, with the amount of graveyard manipulation, intentionally killing/sac'ing your own guys, token mania and tons of tricks, Magic feels very different then when i last dabbled in the M11 set.

Jumped into a DKAx3 drafts and got stomped, but then did a INSx2 DKA draft and won it with a WU spirit deck.  The funny thing was it was very close to my first draft deck but this time i actually got to see and use my Drogskul Captain and the few other cards from INS made the whole thing flow so much better (like Intangible Virtue and Battelground geist).  The Avacyn's collar artifact really helped both with sneaking in some damage, but mainly from taking my humans like Doomed Traveller and Mausoleum Guard  and get extra spirits out of em or Selfless Cathar to sac for combat bonus and spirits.  People wont block a 2/1 human that can turn into a couple of 2/2 spirits for some reason.  Oh yeah, and a turn 2 Invisible Stalker with Turn 3 Curiosity is good times. :)

Plus to make my day, my second pack opens to a Liliana of the Viel which i promptly picked and sold for $22, so the 4 packs won on top are just gravy.

Dammit, i can feel myself getting hooked again.  I hate this game :)

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Dark Ascension Card Discussion.  
Jump to: