Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:49:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Is there a thread about Bioware reading your private messages? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is there a thread about Bioware reading your private messages?  (Read 10467 times)
schild
Administrator

on: January 01, 2012, 09:15:04 AM

Because if there isn't, there should be.

I imagine other companies kept records of private messages for data retention/security purposes, but Bioware is the first one I've seen to actually act on the contents of private messages resulting in warnings and bans.

Pretty hilarious imo.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 09:21:21 AM

All your messages are logged. If somebody tattles to a GM about you swearing, is it so horrible if they look at your message history to see how bad the problem is?

If it turns out they actually have people off in a backroom reading through peoples messages looking for things to bitch about I'll as outraged as you like. But I seriously doubt that's happening.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 09:35:52 AM

Guess I wouldn't care much until we know more details.  Like people said in the other thread, I doubt very much that someone was really banned for swearing a few times in private messages.  Granted a /ignore exists I'm sure, but if you're spamming everyone that walks by you on Coursant with crap in private tells you should be warned/banned.

But we've heard crazier things in MMO's I guess.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 09:37:48 AM

I thought AC2 was doing something like this.

"Me am play gods"
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 09:44:24 AM

Oh c'mon.  This is the internet.  I could say that Bill Gates personally came to my house, set everything on fire, and told me that if I ever thought about getting a Mac again, he'd be back.  As long as I articulate my speech well enough, and sounds pretty damn convincing, who's to say I'm wrong?

In other words, until I see something more concrete than trolls on a forum saying they got spanked in the naughty place, everything is suspect.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 10:22:41 AM

If they were really scouring people's private messages for the f-word without that person being reported first, I would've been banned within the first day. Hell, they'd only have to look at my guildline log, really.

God Save the Horn Players
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 10:25:28 AM

Meh their servers. Also, you agree to the same in the Eula. Move along; nothing to see here.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 10:40:38 AM

They don't care about tells you send unless you are abusive. Frankly, considering someone calls me a fag on a regular basis for getting slicing nodes, I am not worried about my tells to friends.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 12:40:12 PM

If you decide to be a prick to someone via /tell and they appeal you, I'm fine with them reading the private messages.

I've seen no evidence that they're just trolling /tell and /guild logs to find people to preemptively punish. Because my entire guild would have been gone overnight.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 12:51:15 PM

I guess a lot of it has to do with phrasing. Their warnings seem to be of the "you can't say the f-word here" variety, instead of "stop harassing other players".

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 01:24:53 PM

If they were really scouring people's private messages for the f-word without that person being reported first, I would've been banned within the first day. Hell, they'd only have to look at my guildline log, really.

You and your filthy sailor mouth.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 02:39:00 PM

Learned at my mother's knee, baby.

God Save the Horn Players
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 03:02:14 PM

Because if there isn't, there should be.

I imagine other companies kept records of private messages for data retention/security purposes, but Bioware is the first one I've seen to actually act on the contents of private messages resulting in warnings and bans.

Pretty hilarious imo.

Everything you say in any MMO is logged; every submitted keystroke into a text field will be recorded and stored. We used chatlogs a lot (including tells) for figuring out what was going on when a report came in. There was even a /snoop command that streamed all chat to and from a target into a GM's client in real time. It would be impossible to investigate almost all reports of harrassment, cheating and so forth without tools like that. If you're concerned about bored CSRs reading your cybersex sessions then do it over MSN instead.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 03:50:26 PM

Schild, do you really think that Bioware is doing anything that isn't standard procedure in any MMO?
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 04:11:27 PM

When even GAF doesn't use this as an excuse to make another Bioware hate thread, you can tell nobody care.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, 04:16:15 PM

Schild, do you really think that Bioware is doing anything that isn't standard procedure in any MMO?
Have you seen their UI?  awesome, for real

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #16 on: January 01, 2012, 04:33:07 PM

If you're concerned about bored CSRs reading your cybersex sessions then do it over MSN instead.

So that it can become part of the Googleverse once the two entities merge.

If it's done online, it'll be public eventually.  If you don't want it traced back to you, don't type it, say it.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 01, 2012, 04:44:51 PM

I wouldn't consider unsolicited or harrassing tells as 'private' just because the message had a limited audience.  I guess I can sexually harrass co-workers if no-one else hears?
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 01, 2012, 04:55:13 PM

I wouldn't consider unsolicited or harrassing tells as 'private' just because the message had a limited audience.  I guess I can sexually harrass co-workers if no-one else hears?

Poor analogy. Games are not jobs. (Or shouldn't be.  Ohhhhh, I see.)

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 01, 2012, 04:58:13 PM

If they want to hear about my Twi'lek foot fetish, more power to them.

Also, All Twi'lek PST!

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #20 on: January 01, 2012, 05:05:18 PM

I guess I can sexually harrass co-workers if no-one else hears?

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 01, 2012, 06:08:17 PM

Do you even play SWTOR?
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 01, 2012, 06:54:16 PM

Do you even play SWTOR?

It's so bad people that don't play the game can probably still feel the disturbance in the force caused by it.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 01, 2012, 07:09:17 PM

Sorry, I can't take your opinion seriously unless it's accompanied by a reposted negative report from Something Awful.  awesome, for real
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 02, 2012, 02:10:33 AM

Do you even play SWTOR?
I've finally learnt that playing MMOs at launch is a fool's game. And to pre-empt your inevitable next question: I'm watching SWTOR closely so I can determine if/when it will actually be worth playing, and "When they fix the UI" is one of those things I'm waiting for.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 02, 2012, 06:37:28 PM

Another interesting twist to the "Banned for Private Swearing" drama:  Appearently, if you get banned, it COMPLETELY locks you out of your Account Management page, makeing it impossible for you to cancel your subscription.  Meaning that no one is really sure yet if banned accounts might still get charged a monthly fee when the next month rolls over.

http://thedeadpc.blogspot.com/2012/01/maybe-youve-had-enough-of-bioware-hate.html

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 02, 2012, 06:39:28 PM

I get the feeling that SWTOR must be a huge success as its clearly bringing in people who've never played an MMO before.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: January 02, 2012, 07:11:45 PM

I get the feeling that SWTOR must be a huge success as its clearly bringing in people who've never played an MMO before.

Both people who have never played an MMO, and by people who have never run an MMO. <3
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #28 on: January 02, 2012, 07:19:07 PM

wonder what the ban impact is on their Origin account.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: January 03, 2012, 12:36:05 AM

This just in:  Most people who get banned usually deserve to get banned.  Details at the top of the hour.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: January 03, 2012, 06:05:17 AM

They also know what they did before they did it.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: January 03, 2012, 07:31:10 AM

I can't imagine their CSRs would have time to do anything else if they want to ban people for saying fuck in a private message to a friend.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: January 03, 2012, 07:48:30 AM

Quite sure its only for reported PM's. There is no way they are paying someone to sift through PM's 24/7.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #33 on: January 03, 2012, 09:44:26 AM

This is seriously much ado about nothing. Everyone does this.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: January 03, 2012, 10:48:47 AM

I thought this was about PMs on the forums and thought that was really fucked up.  Then I realized it was about in-game whispers and I did a  Ohhhhh, I see. .  I thought all GMs did that when you report someone for foul language or other types of abuse.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Is there a thread about Bioware reading your private messages?  
Jump to: