Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:50:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Spartacus: Vengeance 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spartacus: Vengeance  (Read 14574 times)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: February 14, 2012, 07:58:33 PM

Yeah, Doctore's wife was SUPER hot.  Off the charts.  Naevia doesn't really do it for me.  Nor does Mira, really.

Ilythia is the business, too, but so is that new noble chick...the sister of the other Prater.  Sephia or something?  Look forward to her banging Ilythia.
Seppia, and she's my favorite of this season. I liked Sura as well.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: March 05, 2012, 07:20:23 AM

I pretty much got caught up on this on the weekend and I'm not finding it quite as good as the other seasons. Only thing I can really think of is that it's weaker after taking it pretty much out of the arena. Too many brooding characters, Even Spartacus is becoming somewhat of a one-note cliche.

The previous seasons had twists and turns and a little bit of humour that made it good, so far this season hasn't had much of that.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: March 05, 2012, 07:36:02 AM

While I'm still enjoying it enormously, I'm missing Hannah.

Really, really missing his character.  I'm starting to realise that his character and the warmth that Whitfield brought were what made it for me.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: March 05, 2012, 07:41:32 AM

Really, really missing his character.  I'm starting to realise that his character and the warmth that Whitfield brought were what made it for me.

I think that must have a lot to do with it. It just seems to be missing something. I still am enjoying it, but it's just not to the extent I have enjoyed it previously.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: March 05, 2012, 07:53:44 AM

I've also noticed that the 'latin speak' is toned down, which annoys me.  I also miss the often exclamations from Hannah about Jupiters Cock.  That always made me laugh, no matter the context.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #40 on: March 05, 2012, 09:16:30 AM

Yeah, I think the original cast had a really great chemistry with each other and a portrayal of their characters that made the show greater than it would otherwise be. As simple as a character as Spartacus really is, Whitfield made him feel believable and real. The new guy is trying but pretty much character on the show now feels interchangable with any other character of the same gender with a couple of exceptions. Does anyone know if they have new writers?

Anyway, something seems to have gone wrong because I'm finding the most sympathetic character so far to be Glaber and that cannot be intentional.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #41 on: March 05, 2012, 11:28:46 AM

I think part of the issue is with the character they've given Glaber. He's just so brooding and emo, where as you had Batiatus, who would run around raving about Jupiter's Cock and trying to break shit. I think the actor is handling Glaber quite well, it's just a dull character.

The Syrian on the other hand - it looks like he's going to start getting to show off just what an utter cock he can be, which is a good thing. Plus he really looks like a smarmy, evil douche after the shave.

I really want to like the new Spartacus, but he's just not reaching me - not able to empathize with the character.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: March 05, 2012, 11:56:20 AM

I'd like to make clear that while this is low level bitching is still probably the best game in town.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #43 on: March 05, 2012, 11:57:48 AM

I think that must have a lot to do with it. It just seems to be missing something. I still am enjoying it, but it's just not to the extent I have enjoyed it previously.

I think it's picked up a bit with Gannicus showing up and more focus on Ashur (I think the last two episodes in fact have been really good), but yeah, the cast from the first season was a lot better.  No Whitfield, Hannah, or Jai Courtney.  The old Naevia was a lot better.  Oenomaus needs more screen time.  Agron seems less interesting without his brother around.  Could use less Lucretia and Ilithyia.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: March 05, 2012, 05:08:03 PM

It's still a good show but can't compare to the original.  The new Spartacus and the new Naevia are awful. Liam McIntyre (New Spartacus) is ridiculously small, he looks like a child compared to the other gladiators.  Ashur used to be the small one in the Brotherhood but he now looks more dangerous than Spartacus. The height I could forget but he's not even cut. He's especially bad for the fighting scenes and his angry face is pathetic.

Compare :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2CqtNeRK_w
to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNdutDDCUQU

It's not even close.

I know he's overbudget but they needed this guy :

The rest of the show is awesome.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 06:11:17 PM by Aez »
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: March 05, 2012, 05:28:43 PM

I disagree, Spartacus is VERY similar in both of those you linked.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: March 05, 2012, 06:10:17 PM

Hehe, I double checked but figured out It was ok because the codes were different.  Oh well, I'll edit the original post.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: March 06, 2012, 02:17:24 AM

I will echo that I miss Hannah's character a great deal.  His was some of the best swearing ever on film.  I don't hate Liam in any way, but Andy was just really, really good.

Crixus has always been one of my favorites, so there is still that.  The show still has its moments, but I suppose it has lost a little something.

But yeah, this is the picking of nits.  Still my favorite show.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: March 09, 2012, 07:20:21 PM

Just catching up to it now (I'm really behind due to work and kid crap).  Two episodes in, and god do I miss John Hannah and his insanity. I seriously almost cheered tonight when we had a flashback sequence and someone swore about slipping cock into ass.  It made me so very happy.   
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: March 19, 2014, 12:25:18 AM

I suppose this technically counts as a necro, now that we have all travelled 2 years into the future....

Anyway, got caught up this last weekend and watched the last four episodes.  Things are looking up! 

-The re-insertion of Gannicus into the series helps things out immensely.  Really great character (and well acted).
-Ashur fucking rules.  Loved it when Glaber made him "prove his boast"  awesome, for real  He could have his own prequel series.
-Starting to appreciate Glaber more.  You start to believe he is becoming a sympathetic character, and then he becomes a total asshole instead.
-Faces getting motherfucking sliced off.  And brains seeping out.  Oh my.
-T&A goodness.

I was really feeling the post-Andy dreariness, but my optimism has returned.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: March 19, 2014, 04:11:37 PM

I actually preferred it when Ashur was sneaky and sly, rather than just an out and out evil murdering rapist.

He's really lost any charm he once had.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: March 20, 2014, 04:42:23 AM

I don't know...for me it was always his backstabbing douchiness that made him interesting, and he still has all that in spades.  It probably helps that I watched the last four episodes back-to-back.  He is going to end up in deep shit with Glaber again sooner or later.  .  There is every chance he will soon revert back to his usual scorned self.

And while I don't care much for the rape thing, it still gave me that Oh Snap reaction that these writers always seem to invoke.

tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #52 on: March 20, 2014, 05:09:31 AM

The rape thing made me go more "wait, what? ACK!", which is one of the things I love about this show. They're still pretty good at just throwing hilariously unexpected curveballs.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: March 20, 2014, 06:42:16 AM

Yeah.  And whether you like it or not, it kinda fits pretty well.  I'm sure he was pretty well fucking fed up after all the years of servitude, and now he is paying it back in a way that his asshole personality deems appropriate.

Anyway, she won't take it lying down.  So to speak.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: March 20, 2014, 06:55:24 AM

That's the only way the writers can redeem it.  Use it as an opportunity to show the Steel that is Lucretia.

"Sure, I'm getting painfully sodomised and humiliated by an ex slave of mine, but I've just spotted a bracelet that's going to fuck up your day."

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: April 02, 2012, 12:49:13 PM

Wow.  If that was the season ending episode...holy fuck.  You think half the cast had the last name of Stark. ACK!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: April 02, 2012, 03:43:01 PM

Holy Shit.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #57 on: April 03, 2012, 09:31:13 AM

Fuck you all!  Now I have to go find this on bittorrent.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: April 03, 2012, 11:46:12 AM

Awesome ending, they really cleaned house on the cast though. 
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #59 on: April 04, 2012, 06:14:36 AM

I don't know whether they plan another season to cover the "war" or not, but if they don't, this was a pretty fitting finale. I figured there'd be some twists regarding what happened at the villa, but that was certainly not one I anticipated.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: April 05, 2012, 04:03:55 PM

Liam McIntyre grew on me on the last 3 episode. 

You know it's going to be a massacre when the first major character die and they don't even spend a full scene on him.
nurtsi
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: April 06, 2012, 11:24:44 AM

Season 2 (or whatever you call it) may have started a bit iffy, but the last few episodes really reminded me of the quality of the first season. The show still managed some awesome scenes and WTF moments that I don't think anyone could see coming. I had my doubts about Liam McIntyre as well. He had some big boots to fill. As the season progressed, I think he nailed the role pretty damn well.

The show has been renewed for a third season. I wonder how they are going to handle the roman legions and increased scale if the show follows history somewhat accurately.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: April 09, 2012, 10:49:25 PM

Well, damn.

I think Liam did a fine job, and were it not for memories of Andy doing this role, he was a wholly decent Spartacus.  It's just that Andy was amazing.

tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #63 on: April 10, 2012, 04:03:38 AM

I think the fact they're not afraid of anything is what'll save the next season. And yes, Liam did a fine job, particularly towards the end. I think the main problem I had at first was the fact that he wasn't Andy, who'd built the role, and he probably just hadn't gotten into the role yet. I think he has, now.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #64 on: April 19, 2012, 11:36:21 PM

Just finished catching up on this.  Wow.

I'm almost disappointed they're doing a third season, because that was a solid finale.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: April 30, 2012, 12:33:17 PM

Halfway through this season catching up... So far haven't been as wow'd. It's kind of been one giant chase so far, which I guess makes sense since it's a slave escape, but still... It doesn't help that the Roman intrigue isn't as interesting. They probably should have spared Batiatus from the massacre instead of his wife, he was by far the most interesting Roman.  Lucretia isn't nearly as interesting, tho I'm really starting to like psycho-blondie, she's still no Batiatus, and her main target of her intrigues, her husband is such a waxwork, always hanging around as sir buzz killington. Homefully he'll be offed soon.

So far McIntyre is growing on me, but I wish he would smile once or twice. I am pretty sure it's zero while Whitfield had a charming killer smile that made him a lot more likeable and not just as an actor-character, but also his character believable as a leader, cuz you can see people following him not just because of his honour, cunning and skills, but cuz of some personal charm too. McIntyre so far is just kind of barking and scowling.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #66 on: May 01, 2012, 07:45:43 PM

Overall the season was good, but no Batiatus is hurting it for me.  The final eps were hurt by the low budget - in the sense that there should be more romans and more slaves overall at this point.   

I have never played WoW.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #67 on: February 25, 2013, 09:06:14 AM

I finally watched the whole of season 2. It started REALLY slow. I almost gave it up after the first episode, but kept on. There were weak moments, the biggest being the lack of John Hannah as Batiatus - he really stole the show in the first season/prequel season. I think McIntyre did grow into the role, especially as he and the writers got more comfortable with the story they were trying to tell this season. Lucretia's final act surprised the fuck out of me. I knew Ashur would die but was hoping he wouldn't, as he has been one of my favorite characters. The show really got better when Gannicus returned because that character and actor really bring something to the series.

With the cast sweep outs they did in the finale, season 3 is going to have a helluva job on its hands.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Spartacus: Vengeance  
Jump to: