Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:28:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: "The Street Fighter" (youtube) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Street Fighter" (youtube)  (Read 6812 times)
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

on: December 21, 2011, 10:25:55 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_Uwb3_HWwg

Essentially a moderately campy dramatic youtube series about an old-school gamer going through some tough times.  There are bits of snarky net humour, but for the most part it's pure drama.  A few well-known gamer tubetypes pitched in probono to make it happen and I think they did a great job.  Really great job actually, so far.  It definitely strikes an emotional chord and if it doesnt... well, then I'm not so sure why you're on f13.  If you're of the younger post-NES generation then perhaps it might not hit you as hard, but it should still hit ya.

Episodes run every Tuesday and Thursday.  We're up to ep. 3 now.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 10:33:32 AM

I'm going to tell you why this sort of shit doesn't strike an emotional chord with the well-adjusted - of the NES era or otherwise; this coming from someone approaching 30 who plays in MAGIC tournaments of all things (granted the average age for Magic is likely far higher than Street Fighter 2, I still feel like Kramer at Karate sometimes):

No one fucking talks like this in real life. No one. There was no conversational adroitness or acting required in this thing and it still sounded like stilted awkwardness.

The camerawork was ok though.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 10:51:29 AM

All i want to know is who that chick in the beginning with the glasses? Cause we need to make milkshakes.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 10:53:55 AM

About 98% sure its http://lisafoiles.com/
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 10:58:02 AM

That was pretty terrible.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 10:58:37 AM

All i want to know is who that chick in the beginning with the glasses? Cause we need to make milkshakes.

And this.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 11:27:40 AM

I only said it'd strike a chord.  I didnt say which note.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Also, we're talkin youtube TV here.  Terribad or not, for the medium and the pricepoint (free) it was pretty good.  At least the 1st two ep. were I thought.

The odds are in its favor if you're a socially awkward 30-something genXer.  It's obvious they're targeting that bracket.

Hmm, maybe it was Foiles though.  Fail w/o her indeed.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 11:35:32 AM

All tv is free.

I'd like to think f13 is less socially awkward than say, and this is from experience, game developers.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 11:40:31 AM

I watched about 2/3 of the first part. But I was mostly looking at the girl to see what you guys were going on about. I'm too scared to ask what "make milkshakes" means, though...

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 12:30:29 PM

They are rumored to attract all of the young men to the lawn. And apparently they are superior to thine.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 12:56:12 PM

All tv is free.

Free to produce I mean.  Not even crowdsourced in any way.

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 07:58:58 PM

I watched about 2/3 of the first part. But I was mostly looking at the girl to see what you guys were going on about. I'm too scared to ask what "make milkshakes" means, though...

The chick playing games/baby sitting the lead nerds son. your probably too old for the milkshake part if your asking.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 08:43:27 PM

Your cultural ignorance offends me.
They are rumored to attract all of the young men to the lawn. And apparently they are superior to thine.
Well, she could explain it to him, but she'd expect compensation.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 08:14:51 AM

Late reply. I forgot this thread was here. I've heard the milkshake song before but I still don't get what he was on about as far as wanting to "make milkshakes" with her. Unless it means he wants to bang her, or I guess actually make milkshakes and drink them...?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 11:32:43 AM

Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 01:16:33 PM

Late reply. I forgot this thread was here. I've heard the milkshake song before but I still don't get what he was on about as far as wanting to "make milkshakes" with her. Unless it means he wants to bang her, or I guess actually make milkshakes and drink them...?

Yes, He was being quite literal.  The subtext was his indecision because he didn't know what flavor of milkshake she preferred and it was expensive to buy the ingredients for all possibilities and he didn't want to look 'weak' or 'whack' by asking her in advance.  Thus the eternal dilemma.  It's quite genius.  I'm surprised you spotted it, well done!

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 04:35:59 PM

Ok, must be some new thing you kids understand. I've never heard that phrasing before.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: "The Street Fighter" (youtube)  
Jump to: