Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:02:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: I'm the Juggernaut, bitch! (SW Jugg/JK Guardian) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm the Juggernaut, bitch! (SW Jugg/JK Guardian)  (Read 34935 times)
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: January 24, 2012, 11:16:49 AM

I'm not sure there is any spec that actually uses it past the first 10 levels.

That skill mirrors perfectly  Ohhhhh, I see.

I used it once last night just because. There's really no place to use it that doesn't have something better. Like you say, it doesn't scale and the AE component has got to be a decimal placement error.

I honestly believe it exists JUST for the first 10 levels, so BH/Troopers have something to spend resources on until they get their AC dependent resource dump attack.  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: January 24, 2012, 12:30:03 PM

I honestly believe it exists JUST for the first 10 levels, so BH/Troopers have something to spend resources on until they get their AC dependent resource dump attack.  why so serious?
What is it for BHs ? I feel like I missed a skill.

edit: oh wait. that rocket thingy ?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: January 24, 2012, 12:45:34 PM

Yea, it should be called missile blast I think?

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #108 on: January 24, 2012, 01:10:12 PM

Yep, Missile Blast. Useless Blast, more like it amirite?
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: January 24, 2012, 02:18:47 PM

I use it plenty in pvp to stop group caps.

I am the .00000001428%
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: January 25, 2012, 01:45:46 AM

Even though I still think Call on the Force is a pos, I'm happy about the new patch. Turns out that ability lag was a huge part of my bad performance, and now I feel much more confident going into fights.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: January 25, 2012, 01:53:37 AM

A *lot* of it has cleared up, yeah.  I still get situations where my interrupt refuses to fire off even though it's not on cooldown, but other than that the patch seems to have fixed a lot of the ability lag problems.

Over and out.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: January 25, 2012, 11:42:54 AM

Yep, Missile Blast. Useless Blast, more like it amirite?

When my companion dies I sometimes use it while kiting.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: January 25, 2012, 12:02:12 PM

I think Mako died once. Shieldtech is awesome.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Except that one instance on Voss. F that guy.

Been a bit tougher with the Jugg, I ran Saving Face (2+ on Kaas) at level 18, I think it's level 14? Vette went down and I had a sliver left at the end of the last wave against the champ mob. Like Vette's DPS a lot, but in the end slow and steady Mako let me take on stuff a lot more reliably.

Then I watched two solo lvl 13 sorcerers independently roll through the area as I left.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #114 on: January 25, 2012, 01:00:35 PM

I think Mako died once. Shieldtech is awesome.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Except that one instance on Voss. F that guy.

Been a bit tougher with the Jugg, I ran Saving Face (2+ on Kaas) at level 18, I think it's level 14? Vette went down and I had a sliver left at the end of the last wave against the champ mob. Like Vette's DPS a lot, but in the end slow and steady Mako let me take on stuff a lot more reliably.

Then I watched two solo lvl 13 sorcerers independently roll through the area as I left.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Ccing and picking groups apart especially in that area is how to beat the game. I started my sage as a flat healer and ran Iresso into every group to tank and just kept him standing. Very slow and he died a lot from spike dmg. Switched out to balance tree spec and use Nadia. Force Lift on three in the group and focus fire the one nadia is beating on while DoTing the last mob, if there is one, just flows so much better. Then pick off the cc'd group one by one. Now that your companion's AoE shit can be turned off and remain off, shit is so much easier.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: January 25, 2012, 01:05:15 PM

See where you talked about being the sorcerer mirror?
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #116 on: January 27, 2012, 06:50:48 AM

Well I've been tanking on my JK for a while now at 50 and there are a few things I learned so far:

1 - The defense tree is mostly shit - They need to completely retool that thing. The main problem is that it doesn't enhance your abilities very well and their are more passive and direct bonuses to taking items in the vigilance tree. The top tier talents on both are completely underwhelming. Guardian slash has a massive cooldown that's way too long, and plasma brand is a situational ability with another stupid cooldown. The reality is that as a JK tank you're better off as a hybrid spec 14/27/0 with no top tier talents in any tree.

2 - Gear needs to be mixed because aggro is bad - Stacking the defense and absorbtion gear will keep you alive, but at the cost of your aggro generation, more than the Vanguard by far. You need to have a few pieces with high level strength on them so you can hold mobs. Talenting your whirlwind so it's free focus on every cooldown and upping overhead slash with more strength seems to help my holding power. Still, you're playing a priority game with most large pulls. CC is important because your overall AOE tanking abilities are mostly involving whirlwinds, cyclone slash, and leaping around like a lemur.

3 - If you're not with a group that understands their limits, you will fail - This class CANNOT save a group from itself. It's not the warrior of old where it's a rock wall and dps can slowly burn even in bad gear, or you can taunt constantly to deal with issues. Scoundrels for example, will make your life a nightmare (even guarded) if they blow their wads right off the bat. The fact that taunt is on a double digit cooldown is to me a ridiculous joke. That would be the first thing I would fix. Taunt should be 5s, max. Too much depends on your being able to deal with those threats quickly. Also, having an interrupt on a long cooldown is also stupid.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: January 27, 2012, 07:03:37 AM

I'll admit I don't have much experience with tanking, and I've gone for the mixed vigilance/defense build based on website theorycrafting, and I'm not 50, but what you're saying seems to coincide with what I've experienced thus far.  Defense is shit, but you need to go into it high enough to get the reduced cooldown on the AoE taunt, because the seconds you gain make a HUGE difference.  It's not a matter of using the AoE taunt and the regular taunt as needed, it's a matter of using them every time they're available, and trying to keep aggro for the 30+ seconds in-between.  It doesn't seem possible to gain threat by using the 110% and 130% mechanic; if you want threat you have to taunt, cause the DPS you put out is shit.
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #118 on: January 27, 2012, 09:03:19 AM

and plasma brand is a situational ability with another stupid cooldown.

I guess that would make it less useful for tanking, but as a DPS spec, plasma brand (or Jugg's 'Shatter') is absolutely bread and butter. Pretty good in PvP too due to the damage type.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #119 on: January 27, 2012, 10:01:12 AM

and plasma brand is a situational ability with another stupid cooldown.

I guess that would make it less useful for tanking, but as a DPS spec, plasma brand (or Jugg's 'Shatter') is absolutely bread and butter. Pretty good in PvP too due to the damage type.

Well yeah, it works fine in a rotation. Tanking is anything but in this game. It's mostly just a reactionary set of abilities followed by a lot of "oh fuck" jumping about.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #120 on: January 27, 2012, 10:50:17 AM

Interrupt is on an 8 second cooldown, I'd hardly call that long.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #121 on: January 27, 2012, 11:07:39 AM

When a boss does several abilities over time, or the same ability twice in 5 seconds? It's long. When you know it's coming and can't do shit about it because it's on cooldown? Long. When all your other interrupts are tied to stuns or incapacitations? LONG.

ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: January 27, 2012, 11:17:09 AM

That interrupt doesn't fucking interrupt for me.  I spammed it, cast bars kept on going.  Been told (by y'all) that bosses have uninterruptible abilities.  Seems like every one of them is so.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #123 on: January 27, 2012, 12:23:45 PM

That interrupt doesn't fucking interrupt for me.  I spammed it, cast bars kept on going.  Been told (by y'all) that bosses have uninterruptible abilities.  Seems like every one of them is so.

Some do, some don't. The frustrating thing is that you often don't know which.

Example - The Ironfist boss of the Esseles hard mode has a head shot cast and a missle barrage cast. The head shot absolutely has to be interrupted or you're dead. Bad news, it's cast every 6s and you only have a 10s timer, meaning you have to trade off with someone else to catch all of them. In addition, he does an uninterruptable missile shot which you can't do shit about except absorb it and move on with your life.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: January 27, 2012, 01:20:10 PM

When a boss does several abilities over time, or the same ability twice in 5 seconds? It's long. When you know it's coming and can't do shit about it because it's on cooldown? Long. When all your other interrupts are tied to stuns or incapacitations? LONG.

And yet is the same as the Vanguard/Powertech's and faster than the Shadow/Assassin's.  Maybe some other people in the group should be interrupting as well, since every single class gets one except for Commandos/Mercs.

Over and out.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: January 27, 2012, 01:50:43 PM

And yet is the same as the Vanguard/Powertech's and faster than the Shadow/Assassin's.  Maybe some other people in the group should be interrupting as well, since every single class gets one except for Commandos/Mercs.

Ding Ding!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

If you really want to get fancy you have shit like charge to interrupt too.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #126 on: January 27, 2012, 02:19:13 PM

I'm well aware other people can interrupt guys.

That brings back the fun of yelling at each other over vent about interrupt rotations. Taken to it's height I remember this being a nightmare on the Reliquary of Souls in Black Temple.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #127 on: January 27, 2012, 02:22:14 PM

I'm well aware other people can interrupt guys.

That brings back the fun of yelling at each other over vent about interrupt rotations. Taken to it's height I remember this being a nightmare on the Reliquary of Souls in Black Temple.

Well the fix to that is to turn on chat bubbles and make a macro that says "<x> is interrupting <w> You're up next!"

Oh wait..

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #128 on: January 27, 2012, 02:26:42 PM

And suddenly fun gets shot in the face.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #129 on: February 13, 2012, 12:14:54 PM

I gave up on trying to figure out JK tanking. It just blows. I've respecced four ways now, and I have full columi/epic gear, nothing holds aggro.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: February 13, 2012, 12:28:44 PM

I've read that all those abilities that say "generates extra threat" actually don't. They used too in a previous beta build, when those abilities didn't actually do any damage, but now that they do damage, it's just their damage multiplied by the tank stance modifier.

If that is true, THAT would explain a lot.  why so serious?

Like for comparison, my Vanguard doesn't have any wording like that my attacks, so I just naturally go to my highest DPS ones for TPS too.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: February 13, 2012, 12:29:56 PM

I'm pretty sure JKs just need about a 10% threat boost across the board and they'd work fine.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #132 on: February 13, 2012, 12:32:06 PM

If that is true, it sort of confirms my belief that this team has no idea WTF they are doing. I like the game, but I'm coming up short when all these mechanical issues, server and hardmode bugs, and weird tooltips with no feedback keep getting in the way.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: February 13, 2012, 12:36:48 PM

We have so many tanks that I just switched to vigilance or whatever for now, my dps output seems to be fine as a dpser. I'll go back to tank spec when my smuggler hits 50.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: February 13, 2012, 12:38:20 PM

I've read that all those abilities that say "generates extra threat" actually don't. They used too in a previous beta build, when those abilities didn't actually do any damage, but now that they do damage, it's just their damage multiplied by the tank stance modifier.

If that is true, THAT would explain a lot.  why so serious?

Like for comparison, my Vanguard doesn't have any wording like that my attacks, so I just naturally go to my highest DPS ones for TPS too.

My Shadow has a couple of abilities with the "generates extra threat" and they seem to work since Nadia can't pull aggro off me even though she does more straight-up damage.  It's hard to tell for sure without some kind of threat meter, though.

Over and out.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: February 13, 2012, 12:39:38 PM

The only JK ability with that text I can think of is the stun.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: February 13, 2012, 01:27:08 PM

Yeah, the only vanguard ability with "high threat" is harpoon... and that's not really something you use on mobs you're tanking.

Vanguard tanking is mostly fine (though I hate having to respec to a 31/x/y build for pve tanking), my only issue was getting aggro on large groups of zerg (normal/silver) enemies at range. That is, until I discovered the wonders of "hammer shot nearest silver, duck behind cover, count to x (x depends on the distance of the enemy group from the LOS point), fire Mortar Volley on doorway, profit"  awesome, for real

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: I'm the Juggernaut, bitch! (SW Jugg/JK Guardian)  
Jump to: