Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 08:02:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Christopher Hitchens RIP 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Christopher Hitchens RIP  (Read 2656 times)
K9
Terracotta Army

on: December 16, 2011, 03:05:01 AM

Dies aged 62

The world has lost a truly great mind.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 03:14:59 AM

Incoming flood of political cartoons trying to have the last word in -1..

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 03:18:03 AM

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 06:48:12 AM

Always liked his point of view and arguments. Led to me questioning why I was being sent to Catholic schools and eventually becoming atheist. I'll have to steal my girlfriend's e-reader and read his book.
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 07:04:28 AM

Always liked his point of view and arguments. Led to me questioning why I was being sent to Catholic schools and eventually becoming atheist. I'll have to steal my girlfriend's e-reader and read his book.

Pretty much the same story for me. He was a big influence on my questioning Catholicism and then religion/'faith' in general.

I didn't always agree with his views, but he was a great mind and the world is poorer for him having died. I'll miss his debates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kuzYwzGoXw
(Hitchens starts towards the end of part 1)

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 07:46:41 AM

Sad, an entertaining man gone. Forever.

Or burning in hell, if his detractors are correct. In which case, I'll see him there!
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 08:36:54 AM

http://www.theonion.com/articles/fumbling-inarticulate-obituary-writer-somehow-losi,26890/

He had weird ideas about Islam and imperialism but damn if he didn't stand up for his beliefs. Don't forget about his voluntary waterboarding.

Here's another link you should read.
http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2012/01/hitchens-201201
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 08:49:23 AM by bhodi »
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 08:50:32 AM

I didn't know who this was when I read the title. Guess that shouldn't shock me.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ShenMolo
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 09:19:47 AM

Such a great thinker, writer, and speaker.

Find some of his speeches & debates on Youtube if you can.

He had that great quality of liking and enjoying the company of those who disagreed with him but who were intellectually honest.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 09:49:39 AM

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 11:23:05 AM

Deeply mixed feelings about the guy, so I will just say I'll miss the parts I liked.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 11:26:27 AM

I think I would have loved to have a drink with him, and hated to know him much longer.  He was one of those people who sees the world without the normal filters, and apparently didn't like what he saw much.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 12:41:34 PM

normal filters, in this case, being mass delusion and fantasy.

I kinda thought he was an asshole, but I respected his determination and intellect.  I think he was a necessary voice, and I don't think we got many people like that left.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 12:42:49 PM

He WAS an asshole, being an asshole was his entire cause. That doesn't mean he wasn't a deep thinker and a ballsy guy.

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 12:47:04 PM

Definitely an asshole, but also one of the greatest essayists of our age.  Perhaps you can't be one without being the other.

I'll miss him.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 01:10:24 PM

You kind of have to be an asshole to tell someone their entire belief structure is total horseshit in an intellectual manner.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 02:00:29 PM

Hey, it's scary to walk without crutches you never really had in the first place.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 02:57:07 PM

His debate in TO with Tony Blair on the existence of Cod was terrific.   I plan on reading his work on Orwell.   He wasn't a toady and was highly literate.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 09:15:11 PM

The existence of Cod is not debatable.  I ate some last night.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 09:46:23 PM

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 17, 2011, 08:10:11 AM

Deeply mixed feelings about the guy, so I will just say I'll miss the parts I liked.
I felt he was an asshole, a contrararian who often felt violently disagreeing with common beliefs was deep thought, and moslty surfed on a few really good pieces -- his writing of the last decade or so was rarely up to his previous levels.

On the other hand, I respected him for his 180 on waterboarding after deciding to try it himself -- especially given the tenor of times, his prior statements, and his audience it took a lot of guts to come out and be brutally honest about what it was like and what he thought.

So the good with the bad.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 11:40:08 AM

Complete and utter asshole. But when presented with facts contrary to his opinions, open-minded enough to accept the new information and move on.

There was a ton of shit about him that I didn't like, but goddammit, the man had my respect.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Christopher Hitchens RIP  
Jump to: