Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 08:59:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Neuromyelitis Optica - #%^& You NMO! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Neuromyelitis Optica - #%^& You NMO!  (Read 17834 times)
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #35 on: January 12, 2012, 09:06:01 AM

Sorry for the poor turn of events, Slayerik. Here's my fingers crossed for you and yours.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #36 on: January 12, 2012, 09:59:07 AM

The world really does need a real life House.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: January 12, 2012, 01:32:44 PM

It's okay to vent and yell a bit.  Shit is serious.  Thanks for keeping us updated though.

Is it still only affecting her lower body, or has this relapse affected more?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: January 12, 2012, 01:56:05 PM

My uncle who had previously been in perfect health, exercised regularly, ate well, suddenly had problems walking.  Then problems moving his head and arms.  Then problems talking and eating.  Now he's almost totally paralyzed and the only thing any doctors have been able to say is that while it's very much like Parkinson's, it's not typical Parkinson's.  They don't know how he got it, don't know what it's doing, and don't know how to treat it.  Our command of medical science is not as great as we like to think it is, sadly.  But at least in your girlfriend's case they've found something clearly out of the ordinary; that's hopefully enough of a lead to point them towards the means to fix it.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: January 12, 2012, 03:03:14 PM

Sorry for the poor turn of events, Slayerik. Here's my fingers crossed for you and yours.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #40 on: January 12, 2012, 04:12:55 PM

It's okay to vent and yell a bit.  Shit is serious.  Thanks for keeping us updated though.

Is it still only affecting her lower body, or has this relapse affected more?

Now she is having sight issues and some issues swallowing, though it's gotten a bit better.

It seems to be a separate, new shitty attack. Her lower body is still paralyzed, Waist up has come back ok...with some limited movement down to her thighs.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #41 on: January 12, 2012, 04:48:02 PM

I appreciate ya asking Az...Things were looking well, she recovered a lot of stuff but BAM now she is in bad shape again. Latest MRI shows lesions in spinal cord, brain, brain stem.

It's fucking bleak. Back to steriods, and now going to try an immunoglobin transfer or some shit. They still don't have a real diagnosis. It's crazy. She is trying to stay strong but you work so hard just to get beat back...It's a horrible thing and would never wish it on anyone. She is getting pretty morbid at this point, and honestly how can you blame her? Got all her life insurance and pension stuff sorted. Been a sad couple days. The absolute last thing she needed.

Sorry to be so depressing guys. I'm trying to stay positive but FUCK.
Have they ruled out MS? I only ask because MRI lesions are normally associated with that, but they normally appear over the course of years.  Are these lesions that weren't present on the prior MRI's, and was it the first with contrast or something similar (ie: Is it plausible the lesions just weren't recognized before)?

There are a handful of encephalitic diseases I know of that can present the way you've related (mostly viruses) along with MS, which is probably why they're trying the immunoglobulin transfer treatment.  I'm not a doctor, I just have had cause to look into this kind of thing.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: January 12, 2012, 06:11:24 PM

I'm not sure it was ever truly ruled out, but it didn't seem like it at all from what the doctors have been telling me for a month.

The initial MRI showed extensive lesions, and swelling over 3-4 segments of the spinal cord (termed Longetidinally extensive transverse myelitis) but nothing really resembling MS (more brain focused I think). One iffy spot in the brain. Now it looks much worse, with brain stem and brain activity along with spinal cord.

EDIT: I hate the word lesion. It's a fuckin' nasty sounding word and way nastier when the mother of your children has them in her brain and spinal cord.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 06:16:37 PM by Slayerik »

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: January 13, 2012, 12:02:28 AM

Jesus Christ, sorry it isn't good news.  Hang in there.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #44 on: January 13, 2012, 01:35:59 AM

Fuck man.
I hope it recedes again. Shit, I don't know what else to say. Fuck.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #45 on: January 13, 2012, 08:13:14 AM

Sorry to hear it, Cheddar. I'll toss some prayers your way.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: January 13, 2012, 09:32:00 AM

Sorry to hear it, Cheddar. I'll toss some prayers your way.

Cheddarik

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #47 on: January 13, 2012, 12:13:38 PM

DUH. That's what I get for looking at goddamn avatars and not names. I don't know why your avatar always makes me think of Cheddar.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: March 01, 2012, 09:14:16 AM

Well, an update for those interested. She is home, but still not walking. Life has gotten a bit harder, but a bit better as well. I am pretty burnt out taking care of baby twins, and now her, and try to work full time (with hour commute each way), and cook/clean/take babies everywhere. I believe I may be the busiest man in America right now (I even have to wake up with her to help her with cath-ing and stuff).

Family support has been ok, but in the end I feel like the world is on my shoulders. She is working hard and trying to regain strength in her legs (she has decent movement in them now). Everyday life stuff is a challenge. One thing I find both of us saying is "can't ANYTHING be easy?"

My occasional breaks I sneak in some Stone Soup Dungeon Crawl, and watch a bit of TV.

Anyway, back to work! (my easiest stretch of the day).

EDIT: Oh yeah, our Honda died at only 230k miles. New motor needed. WOOOO
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 09:16:51 AM by Slayerik »

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: March 01, 2012, 09:23:40 AM

Best wishes to both of you and a speedy and steady recovery for her.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: March 01, 2012, 10:32:30 AM

Glad she is making progress and thanks for the update.  You rock, dude.  Hang in there.

Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #51 on: March 01, 2012, 10:42:25 AM

Man, that is horrible. I thought I was busy helping the wife post partum and trying to work.

If it's any consolation, I feel like a slacker compared to what's on your shoulders. Awesome job and hang in there.

Witty banter not included.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #52 on: March 01, 2012, 11:00:08 AM

Rock on Slayerik!

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: March 01, 2012, 11:03:57 AM

Alright, I'm forming an exploratory committee here. Can we pool together and help Slay? Maybe a maid/cooking service for a month?

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: March 01, 2012, 11:08:36 AM

Best of luck Slay, that sounds like the motherload right there. I hope your wife recovers quickly and things take a turn for the better, try and stay as positive as you can.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: March 01, 2012, 12:28:50 PM

Alright, I'm forming an exploratory committee here. Can we pool together and help Slay? Maybe a maid/cooking service for a month?
If he would like the help, yeah, I'd consider it a worthy cause.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: March 01, 2012, 12:33:21 PM

One thing I have learned from this experience is that if you need help you better ask for it! So yes, anything would be greatly appreciated!

Here is Angie with the babies in the hospital!

« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 12:36:28 PM by Slayerik »

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: March 02, 2012, 12:27:56 PM

It definitely sounds worthy enough.  Just have to be careful, Paypal can turn out to be dickbags about setting up donation/non-profit accounts if whatever arbitrary hoops they desire aren't jumped through.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: March 03, 2012, 02:03:47 AM

Slayerik's the man.  I'd donate.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #59 on: March 04, 2012, 04:07:39 AM

I'd chip in for a former ultrapolite socialite. awesome, for real

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: March 04, 2012, 04:58:10 AM

Good plan muffinman - I'd easily toss in a few bucks.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: March 04, 2012, 06:00:45 AM

Just have to be careful, Paypal can turn out to be dickbags about setting up donation/non-profit accounts if whatever arbitrary hoops they desire aren't jumped through.
Yea PayPal does seem like they need hoops jumped through, not sure if that is worth it just to have lower fees. 
•Evidence of tax-exempt status
•Bank statement or voided check in your organization’s name
•PayPal email account
•Contact information
•Description of your organization and type of payments it wants to accept (such as donations and merchandise payments)

Is PayPal the route to go for this? New thread for more exposure? I'm much more an idea man than an executor.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: March 04, 2012, 06:36:49 AM

My general vote is anti PayPal, simply because they are jackasses, but whatever is easiest to setup.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: March 04, 2012, 06:54:32 AM

I will toss in something, just come up with the place to send it.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: March 04, 2012, 10:07:14 AM

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #65 on: March 04, 2012, 10:25:52 AM

Silly techhies, over-thinking a problem.

Slayerik, who do you bank with and what other banks are in your region? Simple enough to set up a fund with any one of them by just talking to the manager.   Just like they do for kids with cancer, killed cops, etc. 

But yes, I imagine he'll have to pay taxes on it if it hits a certain level. After all, he's not a non-profit and this would be income. The Accountants can speak more on that.

Paypal has you jump through hoops to avoid the whole money-laundering thing that would be very abused if they let just anyone set-up tax-exempt accounts.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #66 on: March 04, 2012, 11:52:15 AM

Just make an Amazon Wish List. It's a lot easier that way.
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #67 on: March 04, 2012, 12:43:16 PM

Just make an Amazon Wish List. It's a lot easier that way.

I'm for that. Do they work like a baby or wedding registry? That would make it easy for anyone to go buy something or contribute toward something.

Witty banter not included.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #68 on: March 04, 2012, 12:54:48 PM

Yup. He can put whatever items are available on Amazon.com on the list and we buy them and they get sent directly to him. If there's some expensive item that he wants to purchase through Amazon he can put gift cards on the list as well so that purchase can be broken up into smaller pieces.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: March 05, 2012, 08:22:02 AM

You guys are awesome.

ethanharris@gmail.com

Got some food stuff and gift cards up if anyone would like to help out! Thanks again for the support!  Heart

Make sure to pop me a PM or email if you do donate!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 08:50:55 AM by Slayerik »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Neuromyelitis Optica - #%^& You NMO!  
Jump to: