Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:46:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Noob questions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Noob questions  (Read 206762 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

on: December 13, 2011, 05:43:25 PM

My companion wishes to speak with me, but clicking on him only makes him say he wishes to speak with me.  There didn't seem to be anything on the crew window to talk to them either.  How do i talk to him? also i am level 10, how do i pick my advanced class?

I am the .00000001428%
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 05:47:09 PM

My companion wishes to speak with me, but clicking on him only makes him say he wishes to speak with me.  There didn't seem to be anything on the crew window to talk to them either.  How do i talk to him? also i am level 10, how do i pick my advanced class?

If I recall, if you're companion is wanting to speak, you're in the Imperial Orbital Fleet.  Go to the dead center of the complex and try talking...should trigger the interaction.

Also, those little helper tips on the right hand answer your latter question.  If you somehow clicked those off assuming you wouldn't need to read them  Ohhhhh, I see., then take a walk around the Imperial Fleet station.  I'm sure you'll run into someone that can train you, eventually.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 05:49:41 PM

My companion wishes to speak with me, but clicking on him only makes him say he wishes to speak with me.  There didn't seem to be anything on the crew window to talk to them either.  How do i talk to him? also i am level 10, how do i pick my advanced class?

Take the companion to a cantina or to your ship if you have one (probably don't yet.)

As for picking your AC there should have been someone offering you a quest to go to your AC trainer right as you got off the lift to the main part of the Imperial Fleet. (Not the part where you first come in from noobworld.)

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 05:50:24 PM

Sometimes your companion will just want to talk to you, you can talk to them in a cantina or your ship. Other times they'll specifically want to be aboard your ship (which obviously you don't have yet, so that is unlikely where s/he wants to talk. :P). Once you're on the Imperial Fleet station, you should run right into a questgiver after leaving your shuttle's hangar that will tell you all about picking an AC.

God Save the Horn Players
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 05:51:32 PM

Thanks, i'm still on the starter planet actually.

I am the .00000001428%
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 05:56:21 PM

Yeah, once you're done with everything there and take off for BIGGER THINGS, some of that will become obvious and you'll go "haha, I'm a derp for asking."  Heart

Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 09:18:19 PM

My noob question would be, did they remove some of the titles?  When I got off Korriban with my Inquisitor, all I had was the Apprentice title.  In beta, though, I had an Acolyte title, as well as the Sith Scholar title from one of the group quests.  I didn't do anything different this time around, other than a dialogue choice, or two.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 01:31:53 AM

They did remove some titles in one of the last beta builds, there was a note of it in the patchnotes. 

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 05:35:16 AM

I saw people with the acolyte title running around Korriban.  Diplomacy, synthweaving, archeology, as far as i can tell this are all compatible with each other, is there a better combination to make light armor for a sith assassin?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 05:49:36 AM by Threash »

I am the .00000001428%
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 06:10:59 AM

That's it.  Synthweaving produces armor for force users.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 06:23:37 AM

You can take underworld trading instead of diplomacy. Diplomacy will give you the silks for the light armor recipes, but underworld trading will also give you metals so you can craft the rarer medium and heavy armours.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 01:58:52 PM

I thought they swapped Diplomacy and UNderworld crafting materials? Diplomacy was giving me BioChem things last beta build, did they swap them back?

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 02:04:06 PM

Regarding cross-faction chat: back in late august, it was mentioned that it would only be enabled (meaning, a player of the opposite faction would understand what you are saying) in the "local" ("say") chat. Can anyone please confirm this whenever you can? Thanks :)

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 03:09:06 PM

I thought they swapped Diplomacy and UNderworld crafting materials? Diplomacy was giving me BioChem things last beta build, did they swap them back?

I took diplomacy, and as of last night, I was getting medical supplies for BioChem.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 03:27:58 PM

I just took 2 gathering professions and slicing, to generate as much money as possible. Figure I'll mess with crafting at max level.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 05:44:51 PM

Yeah diplomacy looks like a bust for synthweaving.

I am the .00000001428%
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 06:49:52 PM

I took diplomacy, and as of last night, I was getting medical supplies for BioChem.

Yea, then it's how it was at the end of Beta still. This worked out fine for my plans!

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 10:56:16 PM

I just took 2 gathering professions and slicing, to generate as much money as possible. Figure I'll mess with crafting at max level.
Tell me how it's going, my plan is to run to the imperial fleet as soon as possible, grab the gathering skill and farm the shit out of the newbie planet.  awesome, for real

edit: @topic -  How do you send your companion to harvest a node/mob ? Could not figure out the command during beta.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #18 on: December 14, 2011, 11:05:00 PM

You right click the node. There's a bunch of buggy ones out there, though, that are there but not.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 03:15:16 AM

You right click the node. There's a bunch of buggy ones out there, though, that are there but not.
Ah. Then I encountered only buggy nodes during beta. So you actually never gather yourself but send your minion ?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 04:01:07 AM

You can gather yourself.  You can make the companion gather with right click, shift+right click, or alt+right click.  Depending upon what you pick, you are one of the other combinations, so it's entirely possible to send your companion to gather while you do so, too.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #21 on: December 15, 2011, 10:47:52 AM

So, for any of us who is going to receive his/her copy before the 20th; will it be safe to add the game code before the actual launch? What about the authenticator, CE vendor and the other bonus stuff?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 15, 2011, 11:20:12 AM

If you have a game code, isn't that a preorder code? If so, it it n now and you can download the client to play early.

- Viin
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 15, 2011, 11:59:22 AM

If you have a game code, isn't that a preorder code? If so, it it n now and you can download the client to play early.

No. As they've stated several times in the forums (use the DevTracker view):

1. The Pre-order code is different from the Game Registration code. You only have a game registration code if you already have a box copy or you bought an Origin digital version.
2. You enter the pre-order code on the pre-order page, and you will get up to 5 days early access.
3. You can enter the game registration code, but that just means you are ready to go for the 20th. It does not mean early access. You have to enter the pre-order code for early access.

Edit: This: http://www.swtor.com/early-access
is the best explanation for early access. At the bottom is info about your game code,also called your Product Registration code.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 12:04:34 PM by Sobelius »

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #24 on: December 15, 2011, 12:07:16 PM

I'm getting a little turned off by all the group only heroic areas, it seems they put some in every zone.  It was fine on Ord Mantell because they were all in the same area so I could just group up with others loitering outside but some of the other planets are piece meal.  Does the game continue to have such areas each zone as I level?  Please tell me it doesn't eventually get such that most of the zone is group only like launch EQ2.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 15, 2011, 12:12:16 PM

I'm getting a little turned off by all the group only heroic areas, it seems they put some in every zone.  It was fine on Ord Mantell because they were all in the same area so I could just group up with others loitering outside but some of the other planets are piece meal.  Does the game continue to have such areas each zone as I level?  Please tell me it doesn't eventually get such that most of the zone is group only like launch EQ2.

They're just things to give you a reason to group up. Heroic2's can be taken by player/companion combos sometimes (depends when and what player/companion setup. Need some healing usually)

But it's entirely possible to ignore them entirely and level fine.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 15, 2011, 12:29:21 PM

I ignored them on Nutta, and I did 1 of them on DK.  They aren't necessary at all.  They're also just extra areas out of the way you can play in as a group.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #27 on: December 15, 2011, 12:38:49 PM

Trooper/ BH and Jedi Knight I had no issues doing the starter planet once you got my companion.    Is it a problem for the squishier classes? 

I can see it being an issue later but they're not related to my main quest so I'm not overly concerned about them as anything other than a completionist.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 15, 2011, 12:41:56 PM

Yeah they're not story driven or anything (probably tipped off by the fact that they're all repeatable.) Just a different thing you can do or not.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: December 15, 2011, 01:07:17 PM

Heroic2s aren't too bad. You can solo them with a companion if you outlevel 'em... they're a good thing to do when you're around their level though, they usually give blue-quality quest rewards and a lot of xp.

BTW, the "Trouble in Deed" heroic4 on coruscant was freaking hard [much harder than the esseles flashpoint]. I pugged it just now as a lv14 vanguard trooper with a lv13 and lv16 jedi guardian and the level 16's DPS pet. Some of the pulls had 4-5 [!] elites in them and as we had nobody with a CC (or healing abilities, for that matter why so serious?) we had to do a whole lot of kiting and aggro ping-pong... without taunt except for the level 16 guy.

The last boss was also fun with his constant AOE and stuns (and us not having access to healing), until we figured out some cheese
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 01:10:55 PM by Zetor »

sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: December 15, 2011, 01:09:47 PM

End bosses in heroic areas are sometimes in instanced rooms. If you're with another player, you can pull and hold aggro until nearly dead, zone out and heal up while your buddy beats him down, then rotate until you win. Speaking of cheese.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: December 15, 2011, 03:02:43 PM

Think of the Heroic Quests much more like mini-dungeon runs, then actual quests. They are all repeatable and usually phased/instanced.

They are not required for leveling at all either, I didn't do a Heroic past Courscant in Beta and I still had entire planets of quests left after I hit 50.

sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: December 15, 2011, 03:07:58 PM

Maybe it changes later on, but I haven't seen any repeatable heroic quests, and most of the content is not instanced-- usually only bosses are instanced, so you don't have multiple groups of people camping a spawn. Bosses with triggered spawns aren't instanced at all, they're out in the game world.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 15, 2011, 03:09:01 PM

Maybe it changes later on, but I haven't seen any repeatable heroic quests, and most of the content is not phased-- usually only bosses are phased, so you don't have multiple groups of people camping a spawn. Bosses with triggered spawns aren't phased at all.

They're all repeatable AFAIK. Just sign up for them again after you turn them in.

sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: December 15, 2011, 03:14:35 PM

Huh. I guess I must have missed that. I did all the heroics on Hutta and Dromund Kaas, too.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Noob questions  
Jump to: