Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 12:19:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: What's going right/wrong with launch... 0 Members and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's going right/wrong with launch...  (Read 202732 times)
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #350 on: December 20, 2011, 12:29:10 PM

Queues suck, no doubt. But all the people raging about this need to settle down. Its release day, and the kids are out of school. The queues will be gone, or at least minimal, in a week or two.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #351 on: December 20, 2011, 12:34:44 PM

Queues suck, no doubt. But all the people raging about this need to settle down. Its release day, and the kids are out of school. The queues will be gone, or at least minimal, in a week or two.

True enough. However, for those people who have been plugging away at it all week, to come home after work to a 2-3 hour queue... well I can understand the frustration; given the fact they released new servers on retail release and those sit fairly unencumbered while the ones from pre-release are rammed. For all the gating BW did at first, you'd think this would have been somewhat avoided.

And no, I really do not give a shit about a queue right now... I expected it at some point. I will just roll a republic alt somewhere else to fuck around with since I do not know any of the storylines on that side yet.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #352 on: December 20, 2011, 12:35:42 PM

Fuck that fake mature higher-ground bullshit, I paid for the game and I expect to be able to play it. EA fucked up and deserves to be raked over the coals.

Player volume didn't come as a surprise. They knew exactly how many players they'd have during the pre-order week, and they were unable to handle the players that they literally  just let in. There's no excuse for that. No valid explanation other than simple incompetence.

Now that the game is released, you could argue that volumes are no longer predictable, or at least not to the same degree. If they had handled capacity better during prerelease, I would be inclined to swallow that explanation. But now? No way. They fucked up, and you need to stop apologizing and start frothing at the mouth. Or at least quietly simmering away like most of us.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #353 on: December 20, 2011, 12:42:14 PM

It's kind of sad that with all the guild assignment stuff and such, it doesn't seem to have really helped any. I thought that would really balance some of this out.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #354 on: December 20, 2011, 12:48:51 PM

I could buy SWTOR now, it IS a game I'm interested in playing but I'm waiting a couple months for people to stop hammering the newbie zones and queue times.  If I bought on day one and had to wait an hour to play I'd not be a happy camper, I bought skyrim and was bashing heads 5min into booting it up.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #355 on: December 20, 2011, 12:50:38 PM

It's kind of sad that with all the guild assignment stuff and such, it doesn't seem to have really helped any. I thought that would really balance some of this out.

I concur. I really thought they would do something akin to what Square did with FFXI, only with guilds instead of players. *shrug* Oh well... Everything stays the same...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #356 on: December 20, 2011, 12:53:09 PM

I could buy SWTOR now, it IS a game I'm interested in playing but I'm waiting a couple months for people to stop hammering the newbie zones and queue times.  If I bought on day one and had to wait an hour to play I'd not be a happy camper, I bought skyrim and was bashing heads 5min into booting it up.

Honestly, after the queues, the zones are rather roomy as far as population goes.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #357 on: December 20, 2011, 12:58:23 PM

Yeah I would hardly call it crowded. The queues seem more like an 'encouragement' for new people to try a different server than anything else to me.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #358 on: December 20, 2011, 01:07:31 PM

It's not overcrowded at all, and (so far at least) the game is perfectly playable, once you get past the queues.

If the conspiracy theory is true and they're trying to "encourage" people to start characters on other servers, why not push accounts with characters over level 15 on that server to the front of the queue? Pretty simple solution. But they didn't do that. Nah, there's no subterfuge here, they're just trying to keep the game playable for people that get in. Which is great, except hour-long queues are inexcusable.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #359 on: December 20, 2011, 01:34:09 PM

Fuck that fake mature higher-ground bullshit, I paid for the game and I expect to be able to play it. EA fucked up and deserves to be raked over the coals.

Player volume didn't come as a surprise. They knew exactly how many players they'd have during the pre-order week, and they were unable to handle the players that they literally  just let in. There's no excuse for that. No valid explanation other than simple incompetence.

I'm pretty sure thats exactly what Mythic did with WAR.  Rimshot

Also, im hopped up on cold medicine and cant tell if I fell in the sarcasm or not.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #360 on: December 20, 2011, 01:35:18 PM

So I just got home, and no QQueue on charlie sheen at all yet. Go east coast!
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #361 on: December 20, 2011, 01:37:13 PM

edit: Looking at the status page, the entire problem seems to be summed up as "we didn't think RP servers would be that popular." They seem to have a pretty normal percentage breakdown of pvp/pve/RP-pve, but the RP-pve servers are all heavy/full while the pve servers are about balanced between high loads and light loads. Turns out a game with a heavy story emphasis may pull RPers out of the woodwork. Or they're all people named MalReynolds who want to avoid servers with stupid player names.
200k+ pre-NGE SWG lovers.  200k with all the bugs.  Now take the people who couldn't put up with all the bugs and ever-changing systems...

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #362 on: December 20, 2011, 01:47:00 PM

I haven't actually hit a queue once while logging into the game.  Of course I'm PST, but still....

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #363 on: December 20, 2011, 01:47:47 PM

Now that the game is released, you could argue that volumes are no longer predictable, or at least not to the same degree. If they had handled capacity better during prerelease, I would be inclined to swallow that explanation. But now? No way. They fucked up, and you need to stop apologizing and start frothing at the mouth. Or at least quietly simmering away like most of us.

Nothing personal but, really?

What my inner curmudgeon wanted to say was:

Fuck this fake shove-it-up-your-ass-BW rant and emo-eye-liner-pity-me request to conform to an asstard's idea of what it takes to get riled up. I'll fucking froth at the mouth when I'm good and damn ready and not a fucking moment before and not because some pussy-mouthed dickwad has got his panties in a bundle because of playing a make-believe-pixellated cartoon for a goddamn week and can't stand the idea of having to either wait to play or dealing with the insane misery of rolling an alt. A month from now you'll just be scratching that oh-so-angry-because-I'm-simmering cheese scum off your balls and rolling it between your fingers and sniffing it while wondering what the hell you were so upset about in the first place.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 01:50:09 PM by Sobelius »

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #364 on: December 20, 2011, 02:02:59 PM

What my inner curmudgeon wanted to say was:

Fuck this fake shove-it-up-your-ass-BW rant and emo-eye-liner-pity-me request to conform to an asstard's idea of what it takes to get riled up. I'll fucking froth at the mouth when I'm good and damn ready and not a fucking moment before and not because some pussy-mouthed dickwad has got his panties in a bundle because of playing a make-believe-pixellated cartoon for a goddamn week and can't stand the idea of having to either wait to play or dealing with the insane misery of rolling an alt. A month from now you'll just be scratching that oh-so-angry-because-I'm-simmering cheese scum off your balls and rolling it between your fingers and sniffing it while wondering what the hell you were so upset about in the first place.
Dang, that's way to long to put in a profile quote, and it would just seem wrong to edit it down in any way.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #365 on: December 20, 2011, 02:19:41 PM

If your inner curmudgeon has a newsletter, I wish to subscribe to it.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #366 on: December 20, 2011, 02:22:54 PM

It's 1734 hrs EST where I am.

I just logged into Shein.  No queue.  Your arguments are irrelevant.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS why so serious?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #367 on: December 20, 2011, 02:24:57 PM

Dang, that's way to long to put in a profile quote, and it would just seem wrong to edit it down in any way.

No. Brevity is the soul of wit. That was witless, but fun. I love talking in faux-F13-speak every now and then.

BW and EA could have done much better at planning, but it's not the end of the world. I have no knowledge of who's really doing what over there, but I still think their MMO newbness is showing, but they're doing OK overall.  Someone over at TRION (whether that's Hartsman or whoever) has more MMO-savvy chops, but even they have issues from time to time.

Sometimes the people closest to the game development can't see the gaping customer-service or customer-experience issues, or they minimize them because, deep down, they don't know how to solve them. No matter what you do, from capping server side percentages (a la AION), to preventing any new characters from being created on a server, to making everything one giant universe (a la EVE, with laggy over-populated trading hubs), you don't satisfy everyone. The holy grail is "100% uptime, 100% lag free, queue free, play anywhere I want, any time I want, with whoever I want, in whatever way I want. And it better be cheap. And now, dammit." Who could deliver all that -- at once?

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #368 on: December 20, 2011, 02:27:05 PM

Just encountered the memory leak issue on Taris. My main character is effectively locked out, as I CTD within 10 seconds of logging in. I'm told if I can manage to untrack all the quests the issue will go away but after a bunch of failed attempts I gave up. Looks like I'll have to play an alt until they fix this rather gamebreaking bug.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #369 on: December 20, 2011, 02:29:18 PM

Taris memory bug should be fixed tomorrow.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #370 on: December 20, 2011, 03:06:27 PM

That's all very clever, but "it'll be better in 2 weeks" doesn't amount to a whole heck of a lot when I want to play now. They always say you should express your feelings, so let me say in the nicest possible way that telling me to calm down and wait gives me the urge to somehow reach through the internet and shove my fist down your fucking throat. But hey, thanks for not being sanctimonious and taking the higher ground. Much respect for slinging it down in the mud with the rest of us.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #371 on: December 20, 2011, 03:10:01 PM

If folks are leveling just to level for the endgame, yeah, I can see dying out in a month or two.  That's part of why I'm taking it slower.  

However, if you want to see all the class story lines it'll be a bit more.

They seem to be countering this by pointing out that the entire development team (including voice actors) will continue to work on the SWTOR and nothing else, and the launch-beardy Danno Erickson (honestly, that beard of his looks like one of inspector Clouseau's less convincing disguises...) pushed the point in their launch video - basically more content is coming and fast.

I'll be intested to see how much and how fast.

This has never, ever, worked. Even if it is the full team they had years of development time for content that is being consumed in a month or two. To believe you can keep ahead of the player base with high quality content is destined to fail. The extent to which their end-game can mask repetition and keep people motivated to keep investing time will be the interesting test.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #372 on: December 20, 2011, 03:43:18 PM

Can't accept any new quests, 77 pages of people with the same problem, some for days now. Customer service response is to put the word "blueberry" in your ticket. Seriously fucking clownshoes.  http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=20021

Counterpoint: quest layout/flow in this game is vastly inferior to WoW in every way, so maybe the game is doing me a favor.  It's like they were designed by someone who thought vanilla Barrens was awesome, but would be even better if the objectives were spread further apart and the zone was littered with impassable walls all over the fucking place. 

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #373 on: December 20, 2011, 03:46:25 PM

Taris is really the only zone I've noticed shitty quest flow/walls in. (Republic side anyway.)

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #374 on: December 20, 2011, 05:14:11 PM

Could have done better at planning? no, they plan for queues during launch.  The traffic now is magnitudes higher than it will be at any other point in the history of this game, queues are the norm.  The other option is the warhammer solution, launch with ten times as many servers as your game actually needs.

I am the .00000001428%
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #375 on: December 20, 2011, 05:22:00 PM

8:30 pm EST day 1 of retail, 210 in queue which it says is <15 minutes.

Hardly the end of the world.

e: I'm timing it, so far I've advanced 50 places in 3 minutes.

e: 14:55.3  just made it. smiley
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 05:34:56 PM by Murgos »

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #376 on: December 20, 2011, 06:05:15 PM

eh, it is an MMO, it just released, there is a line to check out the cool new ride just like at Disneyland.

Did I miss something? When did we start not expecting a cluster fuck at the launch of a major MMO?

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #377 on: December 20, 2011, 06:23:51 PM

After all the queue qing (ho ho ho) I was expecting a long wait, and there was no queue at all.  Ohhhhh, I see.

fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #378 on: December 20, 2011, 07:06:33 PM

With this in mind, we wanted to notify everyone of some consistently high population servers. These servers are closing in on their absolute population cap (the maximum amount of players who can be on the server at any given time) and will likely have a queue to enter even at off-peak play times.

We strongly advise you to not create new characters on these servers, unless you are prepared to queue to play.

Character transfer is a common request for these servers. The ability to transfer your characters is being worked on, but there is no ETA on when it will be available.

Welp my friends guild already have slated to move away from The Fatman, people have rolled on other servers and people with a few days of /played is now grumbling as The Fatman has over an indicated 2hr queue.

Really wish they had soft capped at 50-75% at prelaunch on servers to better prepare the load for launch, its a total mess now and I have a level 25char that's pretty much a writeoff.  swamp poop
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #379 on: December 21, 2011, 12:54:59 AM

it seems like Origin has run out of codes for the digital copies  why so serious?

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #380 on: December 21, 2011, 01:32:30 AM

I keep reading people talking about RIFTs flawless launch and how it was the paragon of pre-access/launch planning.

So was the RIFT that had launch day queues a different game or what? I'm confused.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
apocrypha
Terracotta Army

Planes? Shit, I'm terrified to get in my car now!

Reply #381 on: December 21, 2011, 04:26:24 AM

One small clownshoes moment... when signing up I made a typo in my CC billing address. Noticed it before hitting confirm, but after I'd entered the CC details.

There is no way to rectify it. You can click "Change" next to either the CC which lets you select or enter a different card, but you can't enter the same CC number again as it says that it's not unique. You can click "change" next to the billing address... which does exactly the same as clicking change next to the CC. No option to edit the address or re-enter the same card with corrected details.

In the end I gave up and just hit confirm with the wrong address assigned to my CC. Went through without a hitch. Be interesting to see what happens when it comes time to actually bill the card!

"Bourgeois society stands at the crossroads, either transition to socialism or regression into barbarism" - Rosa Luxemburg, 1915.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #382 on: December 21, 2011, 04:27:57 AM

Knowing how "secure" transactions are, so long as the #'s right it will probably go through.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #383 on: December 21, 2011, 04:44:31 AM

What's weird is that I'm in Goon Squad and our server hasn't had long queues whenever I've tried to log in in the afternoon. I mean, and this is a server with two Goon guilds, and a NeoGAF guild.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #384 on: December 21, 2011, 04:54:20 AM

Um, when I log into swtor.com and go to My Profile, I can click on Subscription, then Show Billing History, then there's an EDIT option by the credit card, and clicking it pops up a sub-window that lets me fully change everything - name, address, etc.  Alternately, under swtor.com My Profile, I can click on the left on the Contact Information Complete!!! graphic and change my address, phone number, etc.

Not sure why it's not working for you.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: What's going right/wrong with launch...  
Jump to: