Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:10:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Computer specs 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Computer specs  (Read 20133 times)
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

on: December 01, 2011, 06:48:06 AM

Currently, I'm using i5-750 @ 2.67Ghz, 8GB of RAM, and GTX 460 1GB Superclocked in SLI at 1920x1200 resolution.  All settings maxed.  I've never had any sort of framerate issues.  The game scales with SLI incredibly well, with 50 to 100 percent fps increases - if you can overclock your GPU even 10 percent, you're rewarded with some pretty nice frame rate increases.  Even in PVP warzones, especially Huttball, I've never noticed any sort of graphic lag and I've never seen the framerate monitor (control shift f) drop below 50.  I didn't find that OCing my proc added that much of an increase in frame rate, so I knocked it back down to stock. 
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 06:56:58 AM

Currently, I'm using i5-750 @ 2.67Ghz, 8GB of RAM, and GTX 460 1GB Superclocked in SLI at 1920x1200 resolution.  All settings maxed.  I've never had any sort of framerate issues.  The game scales with SLI incredibly well, with 50 to 100 percent fps increases - if you can overclock your GPU even 10 percent, you're rewarded with some pretty nice frame rate increases.  Even in PVP warzones, especially Huttball, I've never noticed any sort of graphic lag and I've never seen the framerate monitor (control shift f) drop below 50.  I didn't find that OCing my proc added that much of an increase in frame rate, so I knocked it back down to stock. 

God damn it I am all out of cookies.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 07:58:00 AM

I have to say that my 3 year old mid-low range computer runs the game way above expectations.  I'll post my specs when I get home from work, but I'm confident that they are laughable.  I ran SWTOR with most settings at mid and there was no lag.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 08:08:51 AM

The game's been in dev. for 5+ years.  They haven't made a whole lot of changes/upgrades to the base engine since then, except really knowing how to add a lot of fluff, polish and shine.  Still uses DX9 at it's core.  So yeah, you don't really need a powerhouse machine to run TOR, but it's nice.

Should be interesting come expansion when they started upgrading the base-tech.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 09:53:13 AM

I was able to get 20-24 fps on a Core2 Duo 2.4ghz w/ an nVidia 9800GT card.  I had to turn shadows off entirely to do it, but that's about what I expect from the ol' beast.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 10:04:12 AM

The first weekend I played on my old machine C2D 2.4GHz/4GB DDR2 800/GTX 460 1GB. Ran great, except for the last few minutes when everyone went nuts in front of the senate, shooting off aoes and dozens of pcs emoting.

Last weekend I ran my new pc i5 2500K/8GB DDR2 1600/GTX 460 1GB SLI and it was bananas.

Even though I adjust my resolution for overscan on the tv, there is a sliver...and the fps meter was buried enough I couldn't see it. It was red the first weekend and green the second.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 10:12:47 AM

Higher end shadows seem to really put a strain on things. I have a E8600 3.33 core2duo and HD4870 and I was in single digits at times--which for these graphics is absolutely absurd. 80+ consistently with the shadows reduced to lowest.

There also seemed to me to be a good number of "it's a beta" issues. Particularly, their instance server was overwhelmed with frequent lag spikes, but also weird framerate drops.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 10:55:32 AM

Yeah the game is not exactly a performance hog. I think it did melt Proudft's laptop though.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 11:00:06 AM

Yeah, but I think Minesweeper could melt his laptop.

Over and out.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 11:14:20 AM

It certainly did overheat it (90C) and force a reboot, putting it in the elite company of Borderlands and the intro screen to Minecraft.

But it ran fine before that.   I didn't get around to putting it on screen, but I'd estimate 60 fps easy inside, dropping to maybe 20-30 in the complicated swamps or canyons with a bunch of dudes running around, and this is a 18-month old laptop (with a real video card).   It was running just a smidge under WoW speed basically once I turned shadows down to little blobs, I was pleasantly surprised.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 11:17:44 AM by proudft »
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 03:31:50 AM

Early 2011 15" Macbook Pro, 2.3GHz i7 16 Gigs of 1333MHz DDR3, Radeon HD 6750M 1GB, actually ran better on my first gen unibody 15' until I went into the catalyst control panel and told it to let the game do the graphics handling.

Then it ripped shit up and the fans didn't even come on.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 09:27:00 AM

my first gen unibody 15'
ACK!

I got a robo call for my stove delivery, which has a 4.5cu ft oven. Robot said "45cu ft" and I couldn't stop giggling. At work, with a full office staring at me. Now, to invite over the neighbor's kids, Hansel and Gretel...
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 10:29:52 AM

Does the oven play SWTOR too?
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 11:19:26 AM

His stove is Martha, it's right close by to his tv George.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 11:36:34 AM

DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 05:29:48 PM

Ran the last beta weekend on a 17" i5 2.27ghz Vaio laptop that's a little over a year old now. Native resolution is 1920x1080 so I immediately set SWtOR to that which surprisingly didn't change much in terms of raw FPS. Turning the shadows off did, though. 1gb ATI HD 5650 does not like the fancy shadows. I hear the game has some ATI issues in general though, no surprises there. There were still some stacatto issues that I hope I can get resolved come release but otherwise I got a reasonable frame rate between 20 and 30 with Vsync on. Waaaay too much tearing without.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 05:49:14 PM

My old Q9550 OC'd to 3.4ghz is still chugging along. My 5770 is the bottleneck at this point. I want to replace it but this gen has been out for a while and I hate buying a new card for a new gen chipset to literally come out like 1-2 months later. Crossfire eats a dick so I'm not doing that.

I'm probably going to wait and build an entirely new rig when Ivy Bridge drops and hope there's a decent new videocard chipset out from both ATI/Nvidia.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 05:50:13 PM

Being a poor SOB I'm still running an 8800 gts and the game ran well enough for me. 
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 05:50:46 PM

Hey, the 8800 was a goddamn good card. I was bummed when mine finally died.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 02, 2011, 05:55:10 PM

Yeah it is, I can run even Skyrim with it looking pretty enough.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 06:37:01 PM

Love Letters

God Save the Horn Players
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 02, 2011, 08:14:00 PM

I should go chop down the neighbor's cherry tree.

That was a really strong generation, if Rift hadn't killed my 8800GTX, I'd still be using it (in SLI, anyway).
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 02, 2011, 08:59:06 PM

Even though I adjust my resolution for overscan on the tv, there is a sliver...and the fps meter was buried enough I couldn't see it. It was red the first weekend and green the second.

Your television should have a 'just scan' or similar mode (basically no overscan - might be called something different, yet equally goofy) that will let you use native output without having to fiddle with the desktop/game resolution.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #23 on: December 03, 2011, 05:15:31 AM

I should go chop down the neighbor's cherry tree.

That was a really strong generation, if Rift hadn't killed my 8800GTX, I'd still be using it (in SLI, anyway).

Yeah, I purchased a 8800 GTS back in December 2006 and it lasted for almost 4 years, awesome card. I also have fond memories of the ati 800xt (played SWG on it, among other things) and the good old GeForce 3 (very reliable, at least in my experience)

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 03, 2011, 05:22:00 AM

Intel Core i5-750
16GB DDR3-1333
60 GB SSD
ATI Radeon HD 6850

I just put in the upgraded memory (went from 4 to 16) and the new HD in this week.  This weekend was my first run with a SSD.

Suffice to say, the game runs like a dream.  I foresee myself playing/farming/crafting in TOR in between turns of Blood Bowl without any hiccups  DRILLING AND MANLINESS awesome, for real

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 03, 2011, 06:44:06 AM

Your television should have a 'just scan' or similar mode (basically no overscan - might be called something different, yet equally goofy) that will let you use native output without having to fiddle with the desktop/game resolution.
I have to use the nvidia desktop resize, which unfortunately pincushions at the corners.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 05, 2011, 01:24:30 AM

Running on my laptop with an i7, 6gb RAM, 2x320gb (RAID) 7200rpm HD, and I think the card is the an ATI Radeon 5870m?  Anyway, this is a monster laptop, so it doesn't struggle too much with SWTOR (it runs Skyrim at Ultra if I turn shadows down to High).  Not as good as I expected, but pretty much all high settings and playable framerates.

My desktop is the i5 2500k, 12gb RAM, vanilla leftover HD, and a GTX 570 card.  Pretty much eats SWTOR alive, but I am having some voltage problems with my PSU that might even be limiting me some.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 05, 2011, 01:28:31 AM

I have to use the nvidia desktop resize, which unfortunately pincushions at the corners.

DLP's do have one downside.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 06, 2011, 08:47:56 AM

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: December 12, 2011, 06:34:49 AM

Wow. Quad core almost doubles performance. That's a first for me. Maybe it's time to look at an upgrade--when for the first time in years I can't really afford it.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: December 12, 2011, 09:42:04 AM

I'm going to grab an SSD today to put my fav. games on.  Leaving the OS off of it for now, but will put a pagefile/cache on there for sure.
I'm assuming a fresh reinstall will be the way to go eh?  There's probably a shared sys folder somewhere that'll get borked...  and as I look, yup.  There's a betatest cache in userappdata.

What's the procedure for just moving the HDD gamefiles over to an SSD w/o a fresh reinstall.  I know it's not as simple as just cut/paste.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 09:45:39 AM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: December 12, 2011, 09:56:35 AM

Usually the best way to do that sort of thing is to make a copy or rename the original folder, uninstall, do a fresh install, bail out after it starts downloading, move the files into the new folder on the new drive, then finish the install and it won't download files that are already there.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #32 on: December 12, 2011, 10:00:39 AM

Usually the best way to do that sort of thing is to make a copy or rename the original folder, uninstall, do a fresh install, bail out after it starts downloading, move the files into the new folder on the new drive, then finish the install and it won't download files that are already there.

Really? Does this actually work? I honestly never knew you could do something like this... thanks.

Clever girl.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 12, 2011, 10:05:20 AM

I moved my EQ2 and WoW setups through several different iterations. I got to be a pro. On the other hand, after 4 years, I did a fresh install of EQ2 this fall and it halved my folder size.

My record is arriving home at 4:30 to a bunch of boxes and raiding at 7pm. I also managed to make dinner for my partner and I while the files copied.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: December 12, 2011, 10:12:23 AM

The nice thing is swtor doesn't have any registry stuff so you can copy it anywhere.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Computer specs  
Jump to: