Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:43:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: The numbers regarding armor? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The numbers regarding armor?  (Read 4507 times)
Furiously
Terracotta Army

on: November 30, 2011, 10:01:45 PM

I was just thinking to myself... I didn't notice a huge difference in the damage difference between a light armor wearer to a heavy armor wearer.

I also didn't notice a huge difference in the amount of damage they took.

So is armor just for looks?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 11:04:05 PM by Furiously »

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 10:20:18 PM

Sort of, not really, but sort of.

A lot of damage reduction is through stances and talents. Like my Trooper Tank is walking around with 45% passive damage reduction before things like my 42% Shield Chance that absorbs another 35% every block. Toss in 10-15% dodge chance for good measure and we haven't touched my cool downs and active mitigation abilities yet.

I certainly notice that my health bar drops WAAAAY slower then say, that Jedi Dual Sabre dude who doesn't understand how to not break god damn CC.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 10:46:29 PM

So is armor just for looks?
I don't know about the game, but thats pretty god damn obvious in the movies.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 09:51:03 AM

My Knight was struggling to tank in about half blue armor, using the tanking talents/form/abilities. With the addition of healing companions, I really do want to learn tanking in this game (as a BH). I tanked pretty successfully in Rift before I dropped my Reaver and went cleric.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 09:56:43 AM

I roamed around with some republic guild who was doing the empire side during last weekend beta. I had an assassin level 18 with all the skills dumped into tank tree. With dark charge up, I had about 200 less armor than the group's juggernaut tank, also skilled out in tank tree. We both just took armor quest rewards to outfit our toons. So there is a slight difference, but not much.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 07:40:16 AM

My Knight was struggling to tank in about half blue armor, using the tanking talents/form/abilities. With the addition of healing companions, I really do want to learn tanking in this game (as a BH). I tanked pretty successfully in Rift before I dropped my Reaver and went cleric.

What level were you?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 11:02:43 AM

My shadow tank was 20 and guardian tank was 18. I know, the tanking skills kick in later. Did the Esseles with a commando medic, and it was a breeze to tank through. Never did an operation, not sure if they're open that low?

I'm mostly commenting that I was taking a lot of damage from the gold mobs in the world (with a dps companion). Otoh, I did get a gold add in the Jedi Temple (the Sith that wanders) just as I force jumped into a standard group and pulled that off by blowing my self/companion heal boost/defense buff reset thing.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 11:10:06 AM

Different roles come very slowly in this game, it's an odd decision.

Operations are raids, so max level.  Here's what someone posted on FOH from what they heard.  I have no idea on its validity:

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 11:34:34 AM

That sounds about right from my limited experience and some theorycrafting I've glanced over at sithwarrior.com. Especially the bit about Sage force regen and commando issues with long fights (operations), even if they shine in short fights (pvp).
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 12:06:24 PM

I'm Shadow tanking anyway and my guild will just have to put up with my squishiness!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Over and out.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 01:07:28 PM

Vanguards had at least one CD at lower levels when I played; a 25% damage reduction shield. Other than that, yeah I just mashed buttons merrily.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 01:40:37 PM

Vanguards have three proper tanking cooldowns.

25 Mitigation, 15-20% Total Health Heal, 20% Dodge. 2 Minutes, 2 Minutes, 1 Minute respectively. Other wise it's all passive mitigation or active interrupt/control on the Vanguards part.

Commando's issue from what I've seen and gathered, is they can sustain heal 'forever', but God help you if they need to emergency/burst heal more then once every 2 minutes.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 02:10:16 PM

Vanguards have three proper tanking cooldowns.

25 Mitigation, 15-20% Total Health Heal, 20% Dodge. 2 Minutes, 2 Minutes, 1 Minute respectively. Other wise it's all passive mitigation or active interrupt/control on the Vanguards part.

Commando's issue from what I've seen and gathered, is they can sustain heal 'forever', but God help you if they need to emergency/burst heal more then once every 2 minutes.

That seems accurate from my Commando memory.  Even that is not a real issue outside of raids or maybe some sustained pvp brawl
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: The numbers regarding armor?  
Jump to: