Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:27:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: I didn't molest anyone. Just ask my good friend Kobe Bryant. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I didn't molest anyone. Just ask my good friend Kobe Bryant.  (Read 3696 times)
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

on: February 14, 2005, 03:14:55 PM

Jackson Witness List Studded With Stars
Monday, February 14, 2005

SANTA MARIA, Calif. — Judging from the list of potential defense witnesses, Michael Jackson's (search) child molestation trial could be a star-studded affair.

Among those who could be called to the stand are Jackson's own children and a variety of celebrities, among them Kobe Bryant (search) and Elizabeth Taylor (search), his lawyer told jury prospects Monday.

The glimpse into defense plans came as jury selection resumed in the case. Attorneys from both sides faced the difficult task of narrowing down the pool of 250 potential jurors to 12, plus eight alternates.

The pop music superstar's attorney, Thomas J. Mesereau Jr., told prospective jurors Monday that the defense witness list includes Bryant, Taylor, illusionist David Blaine (search), TV newsman Ed Bradley, Backstreet Boy Nick Carter (search) and his younger brother Aaron, as well as relatives of actor Marlon Brando (search).

The celebrity-filled list was read as the process of selecting jurors resumed after a week's delay. The defense didn't tell the prospects why each potential witness might be relevant.

Bradley, for example, interviewed Jackson after the molestation allegations arose. The list also included journalist Martin Bashir (search), whose 2003 TV documentary "Living With Michael Jackson" showed Jackson and his accuser holding hands and Jackson defending his practice of sharing his bed with children.

Some of the celebrities on the list are friends of Jackson and others have met his accuser. Jackson supporters claim the accuser's mother was eager to meet celebrities.

As juror questioning got under way, prosecutors and defense attorneys immediately agreed to dismiss an 81-year-old man who said he has a serious health condition.

Jackson, who stood and smiled as the prospective jurors entered, came to court in a black suit with a red satin shirt, gold and red brocade vest, with a sunburst pin on his pocket and a jewel-encrusted accessory on his vest.

He arrived at court Monday morning with his usual flourish. Trial observers said the fan base camping out at the courthouse has thinned, though there were still screams of "Michael!" as the pop music superstar strode into the building.

The entertainer is accused of molesting a 13-year-old former cancer patient, giving the boy alcohol and conspiring to hold him and his family captive.

Santa Barbara County Superior Court Judge Rodney S. Melville began the second round of jury selection by telling about 240 prospects that attorneys will question them to make sure they could be fair.

Melville said a litigant's greatest fear is that a judge or juror in a case has been "bought and paid for" and has already made up their mind.

"I'm not bought and paid for. I have not made up my mind in this case and I want to select a jury that feels exactly the same way," Melville said.

Both sides immediately agreed to dismiss an 81-year-old man who said he has a serious health condition.

When Melville questioned an initial group of 18 about whether they had seen any news coverage of the case that would keep them from judging Jackson fairly, all but two said they could be fair.

A 56-year-old woman with no children said she has twice been falsely accused of something, which she did not describe. She said she was "leery" of press reports and wanted more time to decide.

A 52-year-old woman with a 21-year-old daughter and 16-year-old son said she has followed "just about everything written about" the Jackson case and "I question whether I could give a good judgment on him."

A pool of 242 prospective jurors was formed in an initial round of jury selection in which the judge screened people for hardships that would prevent them from serving on the case, which could last six months.

Last week, Melville released juror questionnaires that previewed some of the issues attorneys will focus on. Jurors were asked whether they or someone they knew had experienced improper sexual conduct, if they could judge people of a different race fairly, and if they had followed the 1993 molestation allegations involving Jackson.

The questionnaires suggested a jury pool from all walks of life: prospects' job titles ranged from engineer to student to janitor, and their ages spanned from 18 to the early 80s. The average was 46, which is also Jackson's age.

The possible jurors were predominantly white, and about a third Hispanic, with only a half-dozen black prospects. All but 16 of the 242 said they could judge someone of another race fairly.

Sixty-seven people, or more than one in four of the respondents, said they knew someone who has met Jackson or spent time at his ranch. A few potential panelists said they, a relative or close friend had been the victim of "inappropriate sexual behavior of any kind."

Defense attorneys were expected to try to weed out parents of young children who might be especially fearful of child abuse. Prosecutors were likely to look for jurors who looked up to law enforcement.

The questioning of potential jurors was scheduled to begin last Monday, but was delayed by the death of lead defense attorney Mesereau's sister.

The last person I want to testify about character or sexual matters is Kobe Bryant.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 04:20:37 PM

No, *I* would be the last person...

Bruce
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 07:49:22 AM

See, what the fuck is wrong with the goddamn AP.

Jackson, who stood and smiled as the prospective jurors entered, came to court in a black suit with a red satin shirt, gold and red brocade vest, with a sunburst pin on his pocket and a jewel-encrusted accessory on his vest.

What does that have to do with fucking anything? Do we need to know that he dresses like a goddamn fruit? No we do not. Stick to the facts, you moronic hacks.

I'm also positive I would not want the Batshit Insane Queen Den Mother Herself, Elizabeth Taylor, testifying for me. I'm sure she'll be followed by Bubbles.

AlteredOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 07:55:50 AM

While I do not claim to be a lawyer, it's my impression that "character witnesses" are seldom used before the sentencing phase.  For the trial regarding the actual crimes, I thought the judge could reject any testimony by anybody who did not actually *witness* the events in question, or have some expertise in areas such as DNA analysis, crime-scene analysis, etc.  Unless all of these celebrities habitually sleep in Michael's bedroom along with the children, it is unclear how their testimony would accomplish anything.  Simply saying "I'm Kobe Bryant and Michael's a great guy around kids," doesn't cut it.  Now, when he's been declared guilty and the sentence is being debated, such people could be called.  But hey, maybe an actual legal expert can comment upon this vitally important topic.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 07:40:52 PM

While I do not claim to be a lawyer, it's my impression that "character witnesses" are seldom used before the sentencing phase.  For the trial regarding the actual crimes, I thought the judge could reject any testimony by anybody who did not actually *witness* the events in question, or have some expertise in areas such as DNA analysis, crime-scene analysis, etc.  Unless all of these celebrities habitually sleep in Michael's bedroom along with the children, it is unclear how their testimony would accomplish anything.  Simply saying "I'm Kobe Bryant and Michael's a great guy around kids," doesn't cut it.  Now, when he's been declared guilty and the sentence is being debated, such people could be called.  But hey, maybe an actual legal expert can comment upon this vitally important topic.
From what I read Kobe is on the list of defense witnesses to show a pattern of behavior by the accuser's mother of trying to ingratiate the accuser with celebrities.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 07:36:22 AM

Which should work just perfectly, because nobody wants to meet lots of celebrities? I see what the lawyer is trying to get at, but he's clutching at straws. 99% of the people out there would want to meet more celebrities if they can. That's why they are celebrities, because they are people that other people are interested in. I may not necessarily subscribe to the whole E! channel cult of personality, but I'd love to meet some celebrities too.

Kobe isn't one of them, though.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: I didn't molest anyone. Just ask my good friend Kobe Bryant.  
Jump to: