Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:58:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: You know what seemed like a good idea when I first heard about it? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: You know what seemed like a good idea when I first heard about it?  (Read 11438 times)
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

on: February 14, 2005, 01:39:31 PM

Friday, February 11, 2005 Posted: 1:48 PM EST (1848 GMT)
FORT MITCHELL, Kentucky (AP) -- A nine-months pregnant woman fought off and killed a knife-wielding woman who may have been trying to steal the baby, police said Friday.

Police said 26-year-old Sarah Brady acted in self-defense in killing Katherine Smith on Thursday. No charges were filed.

Smith, 22, had been falsely telling neighbors for weeks that she was pregnant, and a search of her apartment after her death revealed a full baby nursery, investigators said.

"She had everything in place that you'd expect to have in place with a newborn coming," said Steve Hensley, police chief in this Cincinnati suburb.

Brady, 26, was treated for cuts at a hospital.

Police said that about a week ago, Smith called Brady, a stranger, and asked her to come over and pick up a mistakenly delivered package.

Brady picked up the package, the two spoke briefly and she left, according to police.

Thursday's attack occurred after Brady went to pick up a second package at Smith's apartment, police said.

In December, a Missouri woman was strangled and her baby was cut from her womb. The baby was later found alive, and a Kansas woman was charged with kidnapping resulting in death.

Good for Sarah Brady, in my opinion.  Crazy woman got what she deserved.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 01:41:14 PM

Is this the batshit insane woman that was wearing maternity clothes with padding when she attacked a pregnant woman? I read that story this weekend and thought, "That woman was nuttier than Chinese chicken."

SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 02:05:01 PM

Ironic that she didn't have a handgun to defend herself.

Bruce
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 04:48:45 PM

How did she defend herself?  I'd think that the non-pregnant knife-wielding person with the element of surprise would have the upper hand in that encounter.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 04:53:12 PM

According to other press reports, she turned the knife back on her attacker and stabbed her three times, killing her.

Bruce
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 07:32:00 PM

According to other press reports, she turned the knife back on her attacker and stabbed her three times, killing her.
It's really not a good idea to mess with a mother protecting her (soon to be born) child.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005, 07:52:57 AM

That mother hen instinct must really come out, as I'm sure they found the pregnant woman on top of the non-pregnant woman pecking her eyes out.

AlteredOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 15, 2005, 08:01:40 AM

Actually the pregnant woman ran outside after defending herself, flagged down a passing motorist and called 911 on a cell phone.

My wife is pregnant, and I'm starting to think about training her in self defense.  Just got a dog too -- maybe I'll insist she take him everywhere she goes.  And I'll have to get her some new pepper spray, since the Canadians impounded ours at the border, damn them all.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 16, 2005, 08:38:19 AM

Ironic that she didn't have a handgun to defend herself.

Bruce

I don't get it.  Why's it ironic ?

Everyone on these boards keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you all think it means.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 16, 2005, 08:49:19 AM

Because Sarah Brady is also the name of the wife of of James Brady, one of the men shot by John Hinkley, Jr when he tired to kill  President Reagan. and whom the "Brady Bill" was named after, which mandated a five-day waiting period on handgun purchases.  Sarah Brady was one of the bill's main proponents, and gun rights advocates widely view the legislation as having had a chilling effect on the ability of honest citizens to get a handgun for their own protection.

Bruce
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #10 on: February 16, 2005, 08:53:42 AM

Everyone on these boards keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you all think it means.

Beats using the word "ironical". Its ironic that Americans should add superfluous letters to words.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 16, 2005, 08:57:52 AM

Beats using the word "ironical". Its ironic that Americans should add superfluous letters to words.

Well, yeah, but that's not as annoying as irregardless.  Or 'could care less'.  I mean, for fuck's sake...

As to that explanation Bruce - I can see why it was ironic in your mind.

Kind of.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 16, 2005, 09:49:55 AM

Kind of.

It probably would have been more ironic if she did have a handgun and used it to kill her attacker.

Bruce
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #13 on: February 16, 2005, 09:58:54 AM

Kind of.

It probably would have been more ironic if she did have a handgun and used it to kill her attacker.

Bruce

Yes.  If she HAD used a handgun to defend herself.... THAT would have been rich.  And definately ironic.  As is, it was kinda ironic.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #14 on: February 16, 2005, 10:03:25 AM

Like rain on your wedding day? Or a free ride when you've already paid?

EDIT: Fuck, that song is stuck in my head now.

DAMN YOU, ALANIS! DAMN YOU TO HELL!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 10:06:44 AM by HaemishM »

WayAbvPar

Reply #15 on: February 16, 2005, 10:32:35 AM

Thanks for passing that along...now I have it in my head too. As payback, I give you Tom's Diner-

I am sitting in the morning
At the diner on the corner
I am waiting at the counter
For the man to pour the coffee
And he fills it only halfway
And before I even argue
He is looking out the window
At somebody coming in
"It is always nice to see you"
Says the man behind the counter
To the woman who has come in
She is shaking her umbrella
And I look the other way
As they are kissing they're hellos
I'm pretending not to see them
And instead I pour the milk
I open up the paper
There's a story of an actor
Who had died while he was drinking
It was no one I had heard of
And I'm turning to the horoscope
And looking for the funnies
When I'm feeling someone watching me
And so I raise my head
There's a woman on the outside
Looking inside does she see me?
No she does not really see me
Cause she sees her own reflection
And I'm trying not to notice
That she's hitching up her skirt
And while she's straightening her stockings
Her hair is getting wet
Oh this rain it will continue
Through the morning as I'm listening
To the bells of the cathedral…
I am thinking of your voice…
And of the midnight picnic
Once upon a time before the rain began..
And I finish up my coffee
And it's time to catch the train

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #16 on: February 16, 2005, 11:47:35 AM

Stop. Pretty please.  Everytime someone mentions they have a song stuck in their brain, and it doesn't matter what song it is, I get ABBA.  At the moment, it's Fernando.  The only deviation from this is when we're on a road trip... then it's Rush's Tom Sawyer.   cry

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #17 on: February 16, 2005, 11:48:29 AM

Tom Sawyer would be a godsend compared to Alanis.

schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: February 16, 2005, 11:49:20 AM

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #19 on: February 16, 2005, 11:54:06 AM

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.  I decided to join the ranks of admirable bald people.  I felt I had no choce.  It was either that or a monkey.   Bald really does seem to be "in".  I'm considering the look for myself. 

I still don't get the cartoony ones, however.  They all look like the same person.  I did finally notice that there was a spider on their lheads.  I had thought it was a hole.

schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: February 16, 2005, 11:55:20 AM

Hm. So now 4 people have Hunter S. Thompson and 3 people have Spider Jerusalem.

It would seem, there's a competition going on. Or not.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #21 on: February 16, 2005, 11:55:22 AM

Stop. Pretty please.  Everytime someone mentions they have a song stuck in their brain, and it doesn't matter what song it is, I get ABBA.  At the moment, it's Fernando.  The only deviation from this is when we're on a road trip... then it's Rush's Tom Sawyer.   cry

I was in Best Buy the other day and there was this 40 year old overweight guy who had bleach-blonde hair and a really dark goatee who was buying an ABBA DVD.

I just thought I'd share.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #22 on: February 16, 2005, 12:01:23 PM

Hm. So now 4 people have Hunter S. Thompson and 3 people have Spider Jerusalem.

It would seem, there's a competition going on. Or not.

So whaddaya want?  There's just not that many bald people I like who look cool smoking. 

And the fat old bloke in Best Buy buying ABBA wasn't me, Shockeye... just so you know.  As a strict rule, I loathe anyone who's ever won the Eurovision Song Contest.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #23 on: February 16, 2005, 12:41:26 PM

I need a new avatar, I just don't have anything I would like better than Spider here.

Really, Spider Jerusalem is based off of Hunter S. Thompson... so you could argue that 7 people are sporting Hunter S. Thompson avatars in one form or another.

EDIT

There, problem solved.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 01:02:37 PM by Llava »

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
schild
Administrator

Reply #24 on: February 16, 2005, 12:49:26 PM

Well yea, but I try not to be that blatently obvious.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #25 on: February 16, 2005, 01:26:59 PM

I need a new avatar, I just don't have anything I would like better than Spider here.

Really, Spider Jerusalem is based off of Hunter S. Thompson... so you could argue that 7 people are sporting Hunter S. Thompson avatars in one form or another.

EDIT

There, problem solved.

I won't have this one for long.  It's an interim thingy and I was trying to make a wee point in my oh so subtle way.  I like your new avatar.  Pirates are teh sexah... even dead ones.  My next avatar might be bald, won't smoke and will be dead.  I just have to find her.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #26 on: February 16, 2005, 01:30:54 PM

My next avatar might be bald, won't smoke and will be dead.  I just have to find her.

Here's a place to get started.

schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: February 16, 2005, 01:36:23 PM

Photoshop Princess Di.

I create art with words.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #28 on: February 16, 2005, 01:38:39 PM

Geez... bald women really do look alike.  At least Sigourney stands out a bit.  Well, mostly because she's dirty.  I never realised how much hair counts.

schild
Administrator

Reply #29 on: February 16, 2005, 04:57:28 PM

SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: February 16, 2005, 05:07:35 PM

Bruce
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #31 on: February 16, 2005, 05:35:09 PM

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: You know what seemed like a good idea when I first heard about it?  
Jump to: