Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:07:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Best pizza in the U.S. is in Phoenix. Take that NYC trash. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best pizza in the U.S. is in Phoenix. Take that NYC trash.  (Read 7148 times)
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

on: February 14, 2005, 06:13:17 AM

Quote from: The Arizona Republic
Phoenix pizzeria rated best in U.S.
NYC food critic raves about pies at Bianco's

Barbara Yost
The Arizona Republic
Feb. 14, 2005 12:00 AM

First we beat the Yankees in the 2001 World Series. Now we're kicking New York's butt in pizza.

Gotham food writer Ed Levine says that if he could have just one pizza before dying, it would be a tasty little number from Pizzeria Bianco in downtown Phoenix.

In the just-published Pizza: A Slice of Heaven (Universe Publishing, 2005, $24.95 paperback), Levine declares Chris Bianco's pizza the best in the country. advertisement 

"In many ways, it's the definition of a perfect pizza," Levine said Friday from his Manhattan home. He waxed poetic over Bianco's pizza crust (great "hole structure"), the homemade mozzarella, the fennel and pork sausage. When Levine ate at the Heritage Square pizzeria while researching his book, "I was blown away."

Piqued in NY

New York pizzaiolos (pizzamakers) are a little piqued that Big Apple pies lost out to the Big Saguaro.

"I know it's not true," said L. Goldberg, one of the partners in Totonno's Pizzeria Napolitano. Her place is the descendant of Lombardi's, the first licensed pizzeria in America, founded 1905.

"It's the water. New York's got the best water. And yeast," Goldberg said. "Does he cook over coal? We use coal." (Bianco's is wood-fired pizza.)

But, noting that New Yorkers have survived that embarrassing loss to the Arizona Diamondbacks, not to mention 9/11, Goldberg said, "we'll come back" in the pizza category, too.

'Must be true'

Nick Angelis gave us a verbal shrug when told that Nick's Pizza in uptown Manhattan had been bested by a pizzeria in the desert.

"I guess it must be true," he said. "Maybe it's a transplanted New Yorker."

Told Bianco was indeed born in the Bronx, Angelis let out a cheer. "I feel vindicated already!" he said. "He grew up here, he learned to make pizza here, that makes him one of us."

New York-based Newsweek reported the snubbing of traditional pizza enclaves with what can only be read as a typographical raised eyebrow in this week's issue.

In an e-mail, senior writer Bret Begun explained, "It's fair to say that most people reading our magazine would assume that New York or Chicago - not Phoenix - had the best pizza. But I'm confident that if Levine says the best pizza is in Phoenix, then it is. And now our readers know it, too."

Longer lines

Phoenix residents have known how great Bianco's pizza is since the restaurant opened in 1994. Over the weekend, Biancophiles greeted the news of the restaurant's latest honor with enthusiasm and fears that the lines to get in will stretch even longer.

"That's excellent. It's good news for Phoenix," said Julie Gerke of Phoenix, who was celebrating her 34th birthday. She and three friends were on the porch of Bianco's beer and wine bar waiting for a table at his restaurant next door.

"Are we going to have to put our name in a day before, or show Arizona ID? Tell the New Yorkers that," Gerke said.

Her brother-in-law, Scott Lieske, was less concerned about crowds: "It means more time to spend here at the bar."

Bianco, the only pizza chef to win the coveted James Beard Foundation award for best chef of the Southwest (2003), takes his coronation in stride.

"It's a nice honor," he said, "and then you go back to work. Every day it's like a Broadway play. You can't rest on your laurels."

Pizza on TV

Next month, Levine is scheduled to appear on ABC's Good Morning America. Bianco plans to fly in one of his pizzas. He's not sure which one. Should it be the Wiseguy? The Biancoverde? The Rosa?

As for his geographic allegiances, he says, "I'm proud of being from New York, but Phoenix is my home. . . . I've always been a citizen of the world."
WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 08:09:14 AM

I had one of the better pizzas I have ever had delivered to my hotel room when I was in Scottsdale a few months back. It was Chicago-style (which is hard to find in the Seattle area, at least on the Eastside), and it was fantastic. Had a lot of good meals in AZ, as a matter of fact.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 10:43:41 AM

We need to put hardcore New Yorkers and hardcore Texans in a cage match to see who can be the biggest regional douchebag.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 12:13:05 PM

Pizza? Who the hell cares about Pizza in Arizona? Get your ass to Los Dos Molinos at Central and Baseline and weep for all the poor souls in the world who don't have ready access to decent mexican food.

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
MaceVanHoffen
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 01:22:37 PM

... Los Dos Molinos at Central and Baseline and weep for all the poor souls in the world who don't have ready access to decent mexican food.

Heck, yeah.  Also to die for:  Valle Luna and Carlos O'Brien's.  Both different styles of Mexican food.  Both out of this world.

Il Primo's is possibly the best pizza and wings place.  Ever.  But then, I didn't get down to south Phoenix much.

I'm regretting moving away from Phoenix after being reminded of how good the food is there.

SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 01:26:03 PM

Best Pizza in the world is in Connecticut.

http://pizzatherapy.com/pepe's.htm

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 01:29:01 PM

I live in Scottsdale.  Never heard of Bianco's.  I'll have to check it out.

By the way, did someone in that article compare losing the Best Pizza title to 9/11?  I think that's what I read, but the stupid nearly killed me so I stopped myself from fully comprehending it and moved along.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #7 on: February 14, 2005, 03:01:44 PM

Pizza? Who the hell cares about Pizza in Arizona? Get your ass to Los Dos Molinos at Central and Baseline and weep for all the poor souls in the world who don't have ready access to decent mexican food.

Been there. Done that. Wasn't impressed.

Arriba is good for new mexican cuisine and for mexican the best place to go is 22nd Ave and Camelback at Pepe's Taco Villa. Bar none.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #8 on: February 14, 2005, 03:02:51 PM

Heck, yeah.  Also to die for:  Valle Luna and Carlos O'Brien's.  Both different styles of Mexican food.  Both out of this world.

Carlos O'Brien? WTF is wrong with you? Seriously, what?
Nazrat
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 14, 2005, 04:08:06 PM

Yeah, and Bennigan's has good Irish food. 
MaceVanHoffen
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 14, 2005, 04:26:07 PM

Hey, I didn't say Carlos O'Brien's had authentic Mexican food.  Merely that it was good Mexican food.

But perhaps you think it's just a crappy restaurant.  Good is a rather subjective term.  I'll stand behind any restaurant that serves that much cheese on anything.

And yeah ... I think Bennigan's has good "Irish" food.  Any restaurant that serves a Monte Cristo (deep-fried sandwich with jelly on the side) is ok in my book.  Rinse and repeat my above arguments.

Nazrat
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 14, 2005, 07:24:57 PM

Wow.

You must go crazy at the food court.
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 15, 2005, 11:26:58 AM

Been there. Done that. Wasn't impressed.

Arriba is good for new mexican cuisine and for mexican the best place to go is 22nd Ave and Camelback at Pepe's Taco Villa. Bar none.
Heretic. You shall now be Shunned by the community until you see the error of your ways. And be forced to eat at Taco Bell until you repent.

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #13 on: February 15, 2005, 11:37:32 AM

Heretic. You shall now be Shunned by the community until you see the error of your ways. And be forced to eat at Taco Bell until you repent.

I'd rather eat Taco Bell than Los Dos Molinos again.

But really, if you're never been to Pepe's Taco Villa I'd really suggest checking it out at least once. Their Tacos Rancheros are a flavor explosion with just the right amount of spice.

Plus Pepe used to sell cars and one wall in the place is a shrine to his awards.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #14 on: February 15, 2005, 11:54:59 AM

Pfffffffffffft.   Tucson's Mexican food kicks the holy crap out of the valley (it should, there are parts of Tucson that pretty much are Mexico).  That's probably one of the few reasons I like living here, there are plenty small, authetic restraunts of all variety.  In the valley you have to search a bit harder (in my experience) to find the gems hidden beyond all of the corporate crap.

Up in the valley, there's one place for kick ass tacos: Guedo's Taco Shop.  If you haven't eaten there, you just won't know how fucking good it can be.  Espo's is good if you want some good green chile that will melt your scalp and clear your sinuses.   For more of a New Mexico style taste, you can always hit up Gardunos.  The fare there is pretty good if you steer clear of the generic crap like fajitas.  It's also incredibly hot and in some dishes just painfully hot (carne adovada makes my stomach buckle it's so damned spicey).

-Rasix
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #15 on: February 15, 2005, 11:57:32 AM

Up in the valley, there's one place for kick ass tacos: Guedo's Taco Shop.  If you haven't eaten there, you just won't know how fucking good it can be.  Espo's is good if you want some good green chile that will melt your scalp and clear your sinuses.   For more of a New Mexico style taste, you can always hit up Gardunos.  The fare there is pretty good if you steer clear of the generic crap like fajitas.  It's also incredibly hot and in some dishes just painfully hot (carne adovada makes my stomach buckle it's so damned spicey).

You're making me hungry. Time to open the phonebook and look up some addresses.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Best pizza in the U.S. is in Phoenix. Take that NYC trash.  
Jump to: