Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:38:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Ranked Play 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ranked Play  (Read 6389 times)
Margalis
Terracotta Army

on: October 11, 2011, 02:20:17 PM

I notice barely any of you guys play ranked. Why is that?

Also if anyone has any questions related to ranked I can answer, I play a lot of it.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 02:41:32 PM

I got my fill of stupid ladder bullshit from WoW arenas.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 02:46:10 PM

I don't have a regular team, and going solo seems stressful.  It doesn't matter so much if I suck in unranked play, but if I screw up in a ranked game, I'm taking four other people's ranking with me into the toilet.  It seems like something that would be fruitful if you had a regular team, but I don't see the point of going solo if it's just going to lead to aggrivation.  It's not like I'm going to rise to the top of the ladder by being super awesome in the solo queue or something.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 02:51:44 PM

My kids generally sleep well, but I can't guarantee they won't wake up and need me. I don't like to take 4 other people down with me.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 02:53:31 PM

I just hit 30 and I want to get more games under my belt before I go fucking up my Elo forever.

What range of heroes do you feel like you need to be able to use to do well in draft play? I'm thinking I want to have two main roles, and be able to do well in each with multiple champs, and be decent with at least one champ from each of the other roles.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 03:05:14 PM

I don't because I'm not 30 and...who cares? Plus ranked seems way more passive for large parts of the game, and I don't care for it.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 03:15:15 PM

Unless I'm queuing with someone I'd say about 50% of the solo ranked games I play make me contemplate uninstalling due to the people I'm matched with.  That's pretty much the only reason.  I prefer the more serious "try hard" play.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 03:26:56 PM

I'm not 30 but even when I get there I doubt I will do much ranked.

If I had a regular group to queue with I might but at that point I figure the skill requirements would be way out of my league.  I don't mind losing at all but I have no interest in listening to people whine about why we are losing (or not wining hard enough) for 15+ minutes or to have a single person submarine a game that might otherwise have been fun.  I'm guessing those two situations would cover like 75% of the matches in the ranked solo queue.

Even in unranked I'd say about 1/3 of the matches are decided by a default from one side or the other.  Not sure if that's intentional leaves or genuine disconnects.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 05:01:09 PM

I just hit 30 and I want to get more games under my belt before I go fucking up my Elo forever.

What range of heroes do you feel like you need to be able to use to do well in draft play? I'm thinking I want to have two main roles, and be able to do well in each with multiple champs, and be decent with at least one champ from each of the other roles.

You don't need a huge range, what you describe sounds like more than enough. I only play 2 characters really well and a handful of others ok. I can play every role in a pinch but I am not a good jungler and only play top with Nasus which is very situational. Right now in draft there tends to be a glut of characters who can go top and a dearth of good support.

Just understanding that if your team already has a Morde and a Singed you shouldn't insta-lock Akali would put you ahead of most 1200 players.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 05:01:52 PM

hitting level 30 is taking fucking forever.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 06:24:45 PM

I just don't have the time commitment to put towards ranked. I also don't have a group of people to play with regularly (the people I do play with are usually either way above or way below my skill level as I am pretty much middling).

My best champ is also one of the top bans and my second best champ is Taric which I have not played enough recently to be comfortable jumping into a ranked game with (and I am not the best at the whole roaming support/ward thing).

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 06:46:04 PM

I play, but have been whittled down in ELO due to some dumb shit that mostly isn't my fault. Kinda gets old. Also, twin babies.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 06:55:38 PM

The ELO fluctuations are annoying, I just lost back to back games where there was basically no chance we would win. In one a person on their team disconnected at start and we were 5 vs 4 and our bottom lane plus jungler still got completely destroyed. We were 1-4 when their fifth member reconnected.

Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 11:13:45 PM

Recently I have had a spate of games where I have dominated solo top as Cho or Galio, and our mid even does decent, but our bot lane feeds the shit ouf their ad carry, and the game becomes unrecoverable, even when I switch lanes to bot and hold it by myself.

Margalis, I would gladly duo queue with you, if you want a top laner who can hold his own. Only problem is, I don't get home from work til like 1230am EST nowadays (thank you very much 'promotion').

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 12:08:06 AM

Working my way back up to 30 while trying to learn the heros who have appeared since I last played. And yes, it takes absolutely forever. I have played about 50 or so games and I'm level 11, and have just saved up enough IP to buy some crazy expensive shiny champion. Hope I pick the right one!
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 12:53:59 AM

Margalis, I would gladly duo queue with you, if you want a top laner who can hold his own. Only problem is, I don't get home from work til like 1230am EST nowadays (thank you very much 'promotion').

What is your in-game name again? (Mine is "Bleargh" lol)

I'm on the west coast so that time is fine.

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 06:35:36 AM

The ELO fluctuations are annoying, I just lost back to back games where there was basically no chance we would win. In one a person on their team disconnected at start and we were 5 vs 4 and our bottom lane plus jungler still got completely destroyed. We were 1-4 when their fifth member reconnected.

It's especially rage inducing when you lose a 4v5 because you have a disconnected player and you drop 50 points.  Then you win a really close hard game with your team playing well and you gain back maybe 20.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 07:57:09 AM

I don't play ranked because I'm still only level 14 and getting to 30 takes forever at my play speed. Also, I suck but I would never let that stop me from queing anywhere. I think I've heard just about all the whinging and shit-flinging this community can throw at a player for being terrible.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 09:21:50 AM

Around level 24-25 I've seemed to hit a nice plateau in players.  It seems as though in most of the matches I'm playing now, people are too busy trying to actually play, than to shit talk.  Oh sure there is the occasional trololol and such but none of the racist, vile, cockbaggery that permeated my mid levels.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 09:47:25 AM

I've been noticing that too but I figured it was because all the ragey Hotshot wannabes moved to ranked normals.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Ranked Play  
Jump to: